raw cacao powder calories

Options
i bought loving earth raw cacao powder and 1 tablespoon = 2 grams = 7 calories
i also weighed 1 tablespoon and 2 grams is correct

but if i search everywhere else online and other myfitnesspal entries, 2 tablespoons = 60 calories in most places so 1 tablespoon = 30 calories.

thats a big difference isn't it? 7 calories for 1 tablespoon loving earth brand and 30 calories for most other brands?

what do you guys put for calories in 1 Tbsp cacao?

Replies

• Terrance_aka_Magnus
    Terrance_aka_Magnus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is it possible one label is counting the fiber and one isn't?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm get a tablespoon to be about 10g (not tightly packed)...

Per 100g,my cacao is 1789kj.... So 427ish cals

The serving size is 15g,which I'd imagine is a tightly packed tablespoon. That would end up about 65cals.

Loving earth is 1508kj per 100g. A serve is 2g,but it doesn't say this is a tablespoon. There is no way 2g of cacao is a tablespoon... Sorry! Are your scales calibrated?
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mine has 3.8 per gram.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use Penzeys which is 22-24% butterfat (aka super premium cocoa) and it has 20 calories per 7 g tablespoon.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    so a tablespoon is 7g for you and 2g for me lol.

The serving size is 15g,which I'd imagine is a tightly packed tablespoon. That would end up about 65cals.

Loving earth is 1508kj per 100g. A serve is 2g,but it doesn't say this is a tablespoon. There is no way 2g of cacao is a tablespoon... Sorry! Are your scales calibrated?

i don't know what calibrated means but it shows 2g as a serving, and in the description about the product it says add 1 tablespoon to drinks etc..... so for them 2g = a tablespoon = 1 serving. so i measured a tablespoon (flat) twice and both times i got 2g ! i also thought that was too little but the loving earth box agrees with what i saw! so 7 calories for a tablespoon seems very little calories! 60 seems more like it lol
  • melissalatzel25
    Options
    Is it possible one label is counting the fiber and one isn't?

ohhh good point ill check the label and do the maths myself :) thanks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    so a tablespoon is 7g for you and 2g for me lol.

i don't know what calibrated means but it shows 2g as a serving, and in the description about the product it says add 1 tablespoon to drinks etc..... so for them 2g = a tablespoon = 1 serving. so i measured a tablespoon (flat) twice and both times i got 2g ! i also thought that was too little but the loving earth box agrees with what i saw! so 7 calories for a tablespoon seems very little calories! 60 seems more like it lol

Calibrated means the scale weighs what it's supposed to. Kitchen scales aren't overly accurate so may be out a few grams...

Fibre calories are usually included in the calories even if it's not included in the carb count.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are using a "tablespoon" and not a "teaspoon"? A teaspoon is a third of a tablespoon, so that would explain the weight difference.

My box of Hershey's cocoa says that one tablespoon is 10 calories, but it is also a very low fat powder so the calories are lower than most other powders. Typically cocoa is 15-20 calories per tablespoon
  • melissalatzel25
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    Are you sure you are using a "tablespoon" and not a "teaspoon"? A teaspoon is a third of a tablespoon, so that would explain the weight difference.

My box of Hershey's cocoa says that one tablespoon is 10 calories, but it is also a very low fat powder so the calories are lower than most other powders. Typically cocoa is 15-20 calories per tablespoon

really sure yes I've been weighing and measuring food forever hahahhah
    i emailed them because I'm really curious!
  • melissalatzel25
    Options
    Calibrated means the scale weighs what it's supposed to. Kitchen scales aren't overly accurate so may be out a few grams...

Fibre calories are usually included in the calories even if it's not included in the carb count. [/quote]

i sometimes weigh food that i buy @ supermarket, like veggies that have the weight sticker after they weigh it there and it matches, so its accurate, but sometimes when i try weigh lighter things, powder etc, it'll show 1 weight and if i give the scale a little push with my finger , the weight will sometimes bounce back to what the powder weighs but sometimes will add just a gram for example... so for lighter things its not 100%

but strange that even the loving earth box shows 2g as a serving and even mention a tablespoon in the description.... ohhh well all good :)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    That is odd that a tablespoon of that cocoa weighs so much less than most. However, 7 calories per 2 grams sounds pretty accurate for a typical cocoa powder, so as long as you're weighing it, I wouldn't worry about any calorie discrepancies.

Perhaps the cocoa powder hasn't settled in the container yet? Sometimes when powders like that are being put into thier containers, they tend to be aerated.

• melissalatzel25
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    That is odd that a tablespoon of that cocoa weighs so much less than most. However, 7 calories per 2 grams sounds pretty accurate for a typical cocoa powder, so as long as you're weighing it, I wouldn't worry about any calorie discrepancies.

Perhaps the cocoa powder hasn't settled in the container yet? Sometimes when powders like that are being put into thier containers, they tend to be aerated.

maybe u right because mine feels very airy and fluffy :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Hershey's baking chocolate powder is 10 calories per tbsp. It is 100% cocoa powder.