What this problem needs is a cupcake....

Options
****My posts are not to be taken seriously or as nutrition advice******

One of the biggest things I struggle with is emotional eating.
Food is my celebration and my pity party blanket. :p

On any given day I can be faced with a problem that needs a that-a-girl piece of pizza or a cupcake bandaid.

Dont get me wrong....my eating is a lot cleaner and healthier. Instead of putting nutella salve on my emotional burn... I take mango as needed every 4-6 hours till the pain subsides. >:)

but there it is..... food is always the answer for me.

Lately one this that has frustrated the h*** out of me and actually made me laugh is it actually crosses my mind to celebrate my weight loss with food.
I get on the scale....see a little weight losss... and the FIRST thing I think is..... Finally, you can have some cookie dough. ;)

Growing up my mom always rewarded or soothed us with food...God knows I love her, but it is one h*** of a habit to beat!

I am my own food pharmacist these days and when the s*** hits the fan its like I'm running a blackmarket pill mill of cookies and italian food.

Breakups, promotions, drama, .....anything that causes a rush of emotion...and you can find me on a couch confesses my issues to the fridge. :'(

Of all the things I face with adopting a new healthy lifestyle, this has been one of the most difficult to break.

I drink water.... I count to ten... I make notes on how I feel after I do indulge so I can hopefully stop myself next time. It's a struggle everyday.

Today is stessful.... the doctor is in.... Here's to fighting the good fight B)

Replies

• photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I catchysf doing that sometimes. I weigh myself and then get happy and eat a candy bar cause "I can" Doh!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't reward yourself with food. You're not a dog. :-)
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Amen friends!!! :#
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ohh gosh I feel your pain. I can say I do not have a total grip on my emotional eating but I am working at it. The water trick is good advise, but here are a couple I have used. I do not let myself get too hungry especially in the late afternoons. After the stress of the day combined with hunger any little thing could sabotage my diet so I make sure to get a good snack in, before dinner or make myself do some physical activity. The physical activity can help my emotional state, and for those times I have to have something I have some great low cal options on hand. Not just a mango but a shake that taste like icecream, real fruit popsicles or a pita pizza. As for rewards I am trying to break my food reward habit. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not but putting a plan in place for that too has worked for me. Grilled shrimp and a glass of wine is my reward. My biggest suggestion is track what you eat when. If you are finding a time in the day that you tend to emotionally eat then change up your routine to head it off. Good luck on your journey!
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks friend!! I am trying water bomb :)