Too intimidated to use weights

Options
2»

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    The "post-work crowd" is a very real thing. Every other time is less busy, as well as weekends.
    But you've gotten good advice here. Take comfort in knowing you figured out half your lifts already, and there are really only a half-dozen important movements. Everything else is just variations on those themes, which you'll learn to identify with more experience.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I'm super self conscious in the gym and I've worked out for years! I think it's just a thing with me (I'm also the one who hates to go to restaurants or movies alone too). Good for you for going! That's awesome. I belong to a gym that has alot of very serious lifters... competition types. After my first few times there I realized I was actually the only one watching anyone. They were too busy concentrating on their workouts which I should've been doing too (d'oh!). I continually remind myself of that, which has helped. I've also found if I wear headphones it keeps me motivated in the workout and I spend less time stressing and overthinking. I also try to go on some off times to explore and get familiar with stuff. Hope.that helps. Keep going and soon you'll be someone a newbie is watching because you've got it down!
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. as an update, I went last night, an hour later than the previous visit. it was a lot less crowded, and i felt completely comfortable doing my thing. even 'worked in sets' with a dude using the same machine thang! I did it! i felt amazing and practically danced the whole walk home!

still flying high on my victory today :)
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Good for you!! :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Awesome job going back!!! I have pretty bad anxiety. I would classify myself as a meathead-yet I STILL get anxiety at the gym. I am a certified trainer and yet get self conscious that I'm being judged. It's stupid really. Going later was definitely a good idea.

Also, if you have a friend that can join you (even once) on a quiet Saturday/Sunday morning when the gym is pretty empty. Play around with the equipment with them, find all the stuff you need. Figure out how to use any machines and maybe take a look at the barbells-since you're a badass now you will eventually be using one.

At the height of my anxiety i did this with my boyfriend. I felt much more comfortable-and that feeling lasted into my normal routine that I completed alone.