Ladies - periods and weight gain?

Options
Do we gain more weight during our periods? Why? What causes this? Should I just not weigh myself while aunt flow is visiting? Does anything help avoid the gain during these days? Help :-/ feeling discouraged...

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain weight during that time, no need to try to avoid it. You can either accept that it happens and weigh yourself, or not weigh during that time. Whatever works best for you. But it's completely normal and not something that you need to worry about or try to do anything about.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomy
    Priceless!!!!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It is most likely bloating/water retention. I read it's a hormonal thing, and not true weight gain (unless of course you're actually eating more during that time). I try to drink more water and avoid excessive salt to feel better, and since I only weigh once a week, I weigh myself after it's gone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Hysterectomy
    Priceless!!!!

Major surgery so the scale doesn't go up 2Lbs NATURALLY each month?

Yeah, a bit like using a crane to lift a tea cup.

OP: if you search TOM, period etc. on here you'll see that most women see the scale go up a few pounds (water) just before their periods. Many also see it go up at ovulation. And when you eat sushi, have a high carb meal like pizza, fly long distance in an airplane, begin a workout routine etc. It's all very natural and temporary.
  • antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up by a 5-7lbs!! Then rapidly back down...its all to do with water retention and inflammation.

Options are drink loads of water, eat loads of fibre, reduce carb in take (just a touch), naturally water balancing tablets, probiotics, eat: bananas, pineapple, apple, celery.........

Am afraid we women as the stronger species pulled the shortest straw on this one.

Have faith, and dont stress (that makes it worse!)
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My weight goes crazy around that time. Up and down with a 5lb range (first 2 or so down, then 5 up from there).

Sometimes I weigh, sometimes I don't. I don't log my weight until everything is over and done with for at least 3 days.

Don't worry about it, look at the overall loss. I do tend to compare my weight with that of the month before, that will give you a good idea about what's really going on.
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Riddle me this, ladies.
    My period has been so steady despite being so overweight. I've been at this weight loss since early February and things have started to be weird.
    I was a week late last cycle, so it began may second, major back ache before period etc and today I got it early with no warning signs! It's more than messed up, and yes this was a particularly good willpower month for me, I think I lost five maybe six pounds! But that's nowhere near an extreme enough loss to blame this crazy tom business on.
    Is there an answer I just cannot see?