Weightloss and Lifting Weights question

Options
EmmaleighM
EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am somewhat new to the lifting weights everyday thing. I am curious how building muscle coincides with weight loss as far as weight gain. I've been working out for around 4 weeks and have steadily lost 2-3 pounds per week. I weighed this morning and have gained 2 pounds.

I am eating around 1200 calories a day (protein shakes, tuna, grilled chicken, veggies etc. -- no sodas or fast food). So my diet is pretty on track. I'm just wondering if there is something I need to change or if I should expect to gain a little every now and then as I build muscle???

****let me throw in that I do 30-45 min of cardio as long as strength training everyday.

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, your muscle gains will be fairly insignificant (non-existent for a non-noob).

Look at trends - I can easily gain 4lbs of water weight over night after a particularly gruelling weight session. It goes away.
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    muscle is denser than fat, so you can expect to gain some weight as you're losing fat lbs., but it's muscle. which burns a LOT more calories than fat.

i don't know your exact stats, but if you're working out, you may be eating too few calories. look through some of the posts about TDEE and consider eating at 20-25% below maintenance level (the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight). 1200 is often too low for many people..but again, it depends a lot on your stats.

sounds like you're doing great regardless! healthy diet, strength training. you're def on the right track!
  • EmmaleighM
    EmmaleighM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sgthaggard! I'm sure I just need to keep on doing what I'm doing and it will all take care of itself! I can get too caught up in seeing the numbers sometimes!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Maybe you had a lot of sodium yesterday? Should go back to normal after a few days if you don't change anything else. You are probably not going to be growing any new muscle with a deficit that aggressive.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to muscle repair....NOT muscle gain - just keep on doing what you are doing, and even better, ditch the scale and just take measurements.....
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The reason for weight training while you are cutting/losing weight is so that you retain as much lean muscle mass as possible, your body naturally wants to use fat stores last, so it will find somewhere else to lose the weight, usually muscle. I agree you may be taking in too few macros a day, pay attention to your body it will tell you what it needs.
    I am in the cutting phase now, weight train 6 days a week for 60-120 minutes plus 3 of those days I add 60 minutes of cardio in as well. That is not for everyone. I keep protein high, fat moderate (good fats) and carbs extremely low, about 50-100 grams daily. I also try to take in at least 1.5 gallons of water daily.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    muscle is denser than fat, so you can expect to gain some weight as you're losing fat lbs., but it's muscle. which burns a LOT more calories than fat.

Sorry - the first part doesn't actually make any sense at all and unfortunately the difference in calorie burn between fat and muscle is insignificant for the vast majority of people.

OP, weight loss isn't linear - you will have fluctuations and need to look for the long term trend not expect results every single week.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

i don't know your exact stats, but if you're working out, you may be eating too few calories. look through some of the posts about TDEE and consider eating at 20-25% below maintenance level (the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight). 1200 is often too low for many people..but again, it depends a lot on your stats.

sounds like you're doing great regardless! healthy diet, strength training. you're def on the right track!

No no no no. She's eating 1200 calories, she will not be gaining muscle in a deficit.

OP, please ignore the above, it's most likely water weight fluctuations. If you are maintaining a deficit you will be losing (although 1200 calories is far too low if you are exercising)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

no no no

to build muscle you have to be either very new to lifting ( and those gains are measured in ozs not lbs) or obese and lifting or in a calorie surplus.

OP it's either water retention from the new exercise or your eating more than you think or both.