Zumba

Options
miqisha
miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
For those of you who do Zumba and use a HRM (heart rate monitor).....How many calories do you really burn?

They claim you can burn between 500-1000 calories per hour...I wanted to see if that was accurate based on what my fellow MFPs have accomplished

Thanks

Replies

• packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Options
    I am a Zumba *instructor* with a hrm. I burn at least 500 calories per 50 minute class. It is usually around 650. In Zumba Gold, I usually burn 500 calories in 50 minutes.

I have a list at http://rencsi.com/b/2010/05/calories-burned-during-zumba/ if you want see more of a breakdown.

Zumba hugs!
  • ladysw357
    ladysw357 Posts: 43
    Options
    I usually burn anywhere from 350-650, depending on how hard I actually work.
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I typically burn between 450-600 calories. I burn more with a slower instructor because I can keep up and do more of the whole class instead of stopping to figure out the moves.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I burn 400/hour during a lower/slower class and 450/hour if it's more upbeat. To compare, I only burn 325/45 minutes on the elliptical where my HR is between 160 and 17 for the majority of the time. I feel like it takes me longer/higher intensity to burn more calories than average. I do love Zumba though, and I'd rather do that for an hour than run and burn the same number of calories.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I burn between 450 to 500 cals for a 55 min class. There are 30 people in my class so she takes it kind of easy on us right now since the class is only 1 week old. She promises to make it more challenging this week.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responce guys.....
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Did Zumba tonight. 50 minute class - burned 895 calories. The instructors are really intense. I LOVE IT!
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    274650.png
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I used to do Zumba every Saturday for an hour and then when I tore a ligament in my left knee I had to stop the Zumba. I am walking and doing pilates now. Our instructor said we could burn 1000 calories in an hour.
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi there. Zumba instructor here as well. I burn approximately 850 calories an hour when I teach an hour class. In a 90 minute one I'm up to about 1100 :)
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do an hour 3 times a week and I'll burn a minimum of 650 every time. The most I've burned is 750.

ZumbaZumba
  • justin_time
    Options
    The most accurate method will always be a HRM but for a quick and easy to use tool based on metabolic rate averages using your weight & workout intensity take a look at http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt
  • lds7573
    lds7573 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this zumba calorie counter here, http://www.zumbacalories.com/. I believe it's fairly accurate absed on my results and what I feel like in class. Good luck!