Skins

Options
I am following on from a related topic about compression clothing.

I struggle with injuries to my lower legs - tendonosis in both Achilles, torn calf muscles.

I am a healthy weight and above-average fitness; no Wallaby, just an average person.

Anyone have an opinion as to the benefits Skins offer the average person?

Replies

• kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physio and got some strengthening exercises for those problems? I had a persistent problem with tendonitis in my achillies until I saw a physio but you can get lots of good examples off the net. Eccentric heel drops in particular helped me - if I get lazy and stop doing them then I get twinges again so have to keep doing them!.

Also core strengthening stuff - keeping your core strong sorts all kinds of issues that might not seem obvius.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kelli. I have been managing my Achilles since 2005. Many, many boring calf raises and those twinges keep me honest if I slack off.

I am more concerned about my calves. I keep injuring them running, and I am running very conservatively - no more than 3k and I don't run all of that. The backs of my legs are very tight. Maybe I am just not born to jog.
  • kelli543
    kelli543 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you do stretching as well as strength exercises and do you do dynamic stretches to warm up? We all spend too much time sitting at screens these days - terrible for our legs!

I have no idea if compression skins will help I'm afraid, so frustrating when you want to do something but injury prevents you. Can't really offer much more than sympathy and the advice the physio gives me any time I talk to him (ie stretch and strengthen your core - such a nag but he's right!). Hope you find a way around it.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, Kelli. Here is my awesome training regime.

I walk for about 400m to The Stretching Post (stop 39 on the 417 bus). Straight and bent leg calf stretches, 20 sec each.

Run until I feel my calf twinge, 5-10 minutes.

Walk until my legs feel ok.

Run another 5 minutes.

Give up and walk home, 3k.

Repeat stretches.