Turning 40 and body isn't the same!

2»

Replies

• apick2014
    apick2014 Posts: 9 Member
    @ rabbitjb that is so awesome! Way to go on your success;)
  • TheRealBill
    TheRealBill Posts: 28 Member
    apick2014 wrote: »
    Before photo 2013 & after 2015:(

2013:Hawt 2015:still Hawt
  • bevkaysmith
    bevkaysmith Posts: 32 Member
    I am looking for active users. Please add me.. I need motivation. .thanks
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Just turned 40 this year. Mentally, it was tough for me - I think in part because I realized that I had wasted my 20's and my early thirties being overweight and out of shape. I'm lighter, fitter, and healthier than I was at 30. But I'm also almost ten pounds heavier than I was at 35. I could blame it on getting older, or mirena, or something else. But the reality is that I've been a bit more "flexible" about my eating and drinking in the past two years.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited June 2015
    apick2014 wrote: »

Currently attend 45 minute bootcamp 3 days a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio first thing out of bed on the other 4 days. Amino energy, quest protein, soy, green tea, hydroxycut... What's working for you?

? Did I read this right? You are using this still? What has been your results with it? just curious is all.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    45 and to be honest I feel more comfortable in my body than ever. Okay yes I want it to be a lot lighter than it is currently but in the past 2.5 months I have taken over 20 pounds off of it simply by eating at a calorie deficit. Still eat all of my favorite things and not seeing any difficulty with weight loss.

At 39 I took up martial arts. Last weekend I got my black belt. I frequently outwork people half my age. Yes I have some aches and pains that I didn't have when I was 20. Mostly due to damage I did to myself when I was younger and less smart about what I put my body through. Yeah this menopause thing is for the birds but it will pass. Okay yep gravity is making a statement and my hair is changing colors. That's life. And it's really pretty good. :)
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Great stories and advice here
  • bivski
    bivski Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    I was 44 weighed 250 in 2009 and didn't like a picture i saw of myself. I wasn't eating right and drank more then I should have. i started to workout out again , and watched what I ate. In a years time I lost 55lbs. i got away from working out. After deployed in 2012 I went back to up to 215. While I was there I started to work out again. Since then I workout six days a week lifting and cardio. I've drooped the 15 and look to lose another 10 - 15. Now at 50 I'm in better shape then I was at 25. You just have to find the time and when you do stay with it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I was in great shape when I was in my 20's. And yeah I don't think I could ever have that body back but I think I can definately be a really fit person. I'm 45 and it will probably take the next 2 years to get to where I want to be but I have no doubt I will eventually get there. There's a lot to be said for determination. You can do anything you really set your mind to especially when it comes to your own body.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    I'm 50+, but now in better shape than all of my 40s, and even some of my 30s.

My "secret"? ... eat less, move more ... and give it a bit of time. What worked for me? Walking first, then elliptical, with some lifting thrown in for good measure ... but most importantly, a net calorie deficit.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    My story is similar to yours. I was in good shape, fell off the wagon, and then got back into working out and eating right about two years ago. I mix up my exercise between group classes and weightlifting sessions. I also take supplements but that's a personal choice. Either way you still have to put in the work cause there is no magic pill. MFP has been really useful for me as far as support and tracking.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have been in pretty good shape all my life and never more than about 30 pounds overweight. Right now I'm just trying to lose some vanity weight and improve strength and endurance to ward off osteoporosis, etc., which run in my family. I am 55, and I hate to tell you that keeping weight off and maintaining strength/muscles gets progressively more challenging with age. So glad I found MFP, I depend on it now.