Women: What does heavy lifting mean to you, literally?

Options
vinerie
vinerie Posts: 234 Member
I have really gotten into lifting, and I like to think I lift heavy, but maybe there is some special distinction between weight lifting and heavy lifting.

I generally do three sets of 10 on my various exercises at a weight where that third set is hard. I have increased my weight over the 7-8 months I've been doing this (sometimes more frequently than others). For instance, on bench, I started with the bar (45 pounds) and 15 pounds on each side. I just recently made it up to 25s on each side! Rep 8 and 9 and 10 on each set is a real struggle.

I also do deltoid flys (60 pounds on the machine), upright rows (the mini bar, plus 15 pounds on each side) or shoulder press (15 lb dumbbells), bicep curls (15 lb dumbbells), low row (60 pounds on the machine) lat pulldowns (70 pounds on the machine), and tricep pulldowns (45 pounds on the machine). For all I do 3 sets of 10. I also do squats with just the bar.

In addition, in between my bench sets, I do a set of 10 lunges (just body weight) and 10 back bends (not sure what they are officially called, but it's on that device where you hang upside down and use your lower back muscles to pull up.) Again, just body weight, 3 sets of 10 each; I go slowly, and there is a definite burn.

Lastly, I do planks, with obviously just body weight.

SO, to those who have seen real body transformation with heavy lifting...is this heavy lifting? Or does heavy lifting mean doing more than 3 sets, add weight and can only do one or two? Seems the latter you'll always need a spotter.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's subjective... but I personally consider it "heavy" with loads that are 75%+ of my 1RM, or some other measure of intensity (this is not taking the number of reps into consideration).
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me, "heavy lifting" means bodyweight since I'm a total weenie. I've been thinking I'll work up to real weights eventually but for now I'm still finding the bodyweight progression challenging. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the definition of lifting "heavy" varies from person to person.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting as well and actually had to Google "what is heavy lifting" before I started. I'm not very far yet at all, doing dead weights with just the bar plus 5lbs on each side. I read that its considered heavy lifting when you are lifting and the last few reps are almost hard to complete. I do know the book I read "New Rules of Lifting for Women" said you should progress in terms of more weights but less reps, vs more reps. It should get harder, no doubt, and you may only get 2 reps instead of 10 but that's the plan I guess. Again, I'm new to it, and just google and watch YouTube videos to try to get some answers....and wing it as I go. Good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to it. What is heavy will vary from person to person.

For me, it's lifting as heavy as I can with good form for 5 sets of 5 reps. I don't do any exercises during my rests between sets. I'm actually following the program Ice Cream Fitness 5x5.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't even really think about the phrase "heavy lifting" until I read threads on here or when somebody asks what kind of weights I lift and my husband always blurts out "heavy ones!" because he thinks it's a weird question.

I think that lifting heavy is generally thought of as lifting in the 5ish rep range. I don't know if that means that a program like Strong Curves, which is more hypertrophy-centered, is considered medium lifting or not. But, in general, in my own mind, I consider a program where you're progressively adding weight to compound lifts as lifting heavy. So if that means that you start off doing dumbbell bench press using 15# dumbbells because that's what you can handle but the plan is to move on to 17.5# and 20#, etc., that's it. If you're swinging around 15# ad nauseum for infinity, with no plans to move up in weight, I don't consider that lifting heavy.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For powerlifting (bench, squats, deadlifts and press) and olympic lifts (clean, snatch) there are strength standards that you can compare yourself to: see exrx.com

Calculate your one rep max first.

Otherwise, if it's heavy for you, it's heavy enough. But don't be afraid to add weight. But generally, rep ranges 3-5 is considered strength building; rep ranges 8-12 is consider muscle building (hypertrophy).
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You know, I don't even really think about the phrase "heavy lifting" until I read threads on here or when somebody asks what kind of weights I lift and my husband always blurts out "heavy ones!" because he thinks it's a weird question.

Right!? I have never heard this distinction of "heavy lifting" until I came to these boards. I was curious what people who swear by "heavy lifting" mean when they say they are not just lifting weights, but heavy lifting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »

Right!? I have never heard this distinction of "heavy lifting" until I came to these boards. I was curious what people who swear by "heavy lifting" mean when they say they are not just lifting weights, but heavy lifting.

It's because there's a lot of people out there, women especially, who say they lift weights, and I find out later that they really mean they are using 5-pound dumbbells in a bodypump class at the gym.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    To me it means doing the big compound lifts, squats, deadlifts, bench press and some kind of rows, preferably with barbells (although I like dumbbell rows best). And then doing 3 to 6 sets of 3 to 10 reps where the last few reps are hard, maybe impossible on the last set. And then progressing, adding weight to the bar, often.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was wondering and pondering this same topic.. I thought I may be a weenie lifter, but I am not... Yeah me..
    And yeah to all of you gals out there...

Heavy lifting (btw) to me is lifting the fridge by my self (literally off the floor, not sliding) to another part of the room.. Can't do that yet, but close..
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »

It's because there's a lot of people out there, women especially, who say they lift weights, and I find out later that they really mean they are using 5-pound dumbbells in a bodypump class at the gym.

^This. I think the term was to put a distinction between the 5lb infinite reps and lifting as heavy as you can with progression.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Whether or not something is "heavy" is totally subjective, of course. What one person thinks is challenging may be different from what another person thinks is challenging, but it's important not to underestimate your abilities.

To me, lifting heavy involves using heavy enough weight so that the last 1-2 reps in each set is a struggle. If you're not having any difficulty until your last set, you could be lifting heavier. My guess is that you could squat WAY more than just the bar, especially if you're bench pressing 95 lbs. You're also doing a lot of upper body work and very little lower body work, which seems a bit odd and I'm wondering why.

To me, weight lifting also means progressively going heavier and heavier as you gain strength. The point of strength training is to gain strength - if you're lifting the same weight every single time, you're probably not gaining much of anything. You need to challenge your muscles or they're just going to remain the way they are.

Personally, I don't like wasting my workout time and I want to get as much benefit out of it as I can, so I keep my weight high (for me) and consistently try to go higher as long as I'm maintaining good form.

In the end, you can definitely call what you do lifting heavy. Nobody here can stop you. However, know that in some people's opinions, you're not lifting as heavy as you could and you might get better results if you tried. I think that, if you're enjoying your workout routine and you're satisfied with your results, then there's no reason to change anything. Your goals are your own.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Heavy lifting for me is where the weight is heavy enough that you struggle on the last rep...usually 5 along with progressive loading meaning you are upping the weights each time...usually 2.5-10lbs (depending on the lift) each workout...why because you could lift 95lbs last workout so now you are going to try 100lbs this time.

Weight lifting can encompass heavy lifting but it also includes 5lb weights...

The number of reps defines what your goals are...if you are "heavy lifting" chances are you are trying to build strength....so max 5-6 reps is all you can do.

•1-5 Reps Per Set = Mostly Strength
    •5-8 Reps Per Set = Strength AND Muscle Equally
    •8-10 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Strength
    •10-12 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Endurance
    •12-15 Reps Per Set = Endurance With Some Muscle
    •15-20 Reps Per Set = Mostly Endurance

ETA: I have been heavy lifting for almost 2 years, doing compound lifts and increased weights significantly in all of them...I have backed off a bit as my goals have changed but still heavy lifting.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm only in my third week of StrongLifts 5x5. So far 65lbs. I feel the program is more about building "strength and power".

I'm also in week 12 of Strong Curves (3 sets of 10-30 reps). I feel this program targeting different areas--especially the glutes and hams.

I feel strength when I perform SL5x5. I feel a bit more power in sports.
    I feel muscles bulging when I do SC. The more reps the more I feel my muscles.

I also do 4x8 of 50lb cable--lats, arms, legs and 30lb--butterfly; and captains chair or hanging leg lifts.

My other 4x8-30 full-body routines are with 15 to 20lb weights and "pushed" --focused more on speed.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I'm only in my third week of StrongLifts 5x5. So far 65lbs. I feel the program is more about building "strength and power".

I'm also in week 12 of Strong Curves (3 sets of 10-30 reps). I feel this program targeting different areas--especially the glutes and hams.

I feel strength when I perform SL5x5. I feel a bit more power in sports.
    I feel muscles bulging when I do SC. The more reps the more I feel my muscles.

I also do 4x8 of 50lb cable--lats, arms, legs and 30lb--butterfly; and captains chair or hanging leg lifts.

My other 4x8-30 full-body routines are with 15 to 20lb weights and "pushed" --focused more on speed.
    SL 5x5 is for building strength...compound lifts using more than one muscle.
    SC is for endurance and from my understand isolation exercises.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Whether or not something is "heavy" is totally subjective, of course. What one person thinks is challenging may be different from what another person thinks is challenging, but it's important not to underestimate your abilities.

To me, lifting heavy involves using heavy enough weight so that the last 1-2 reps in each set is a struggle. If you're not having any difficulty until your last set, you could be lifting heavier. My guess is that you could squat WAY more than just the bar, especially if you're bench pressing 95 lbs. You're also doing a lot of upper body work and very little lower body work, which seems a bit odd and I'm wondering why.

To me, weight lifting also means progressively going heavier and heavier as you gain strength. The point of strength training is to gain strength - if you're lifting the same weight every single time, you're probably not gaining much of anything. You need to challenge your muscles or they're just going to remain the way they are.

Personally, I don't like wasting my workout time and I want to get as much benefit out of it as I can, so I keep my weight high (for me) and consistently try to go higher as long as I'm maintaining good form.

In the end, you can definitely call what you do lifting heavy. Nobody here can stop you. However, know that in some people's opinions, you're not lifting as heavy as you could and you might get better results if you tried. I think that, if you're enjoying your workout routine and you're satisfied with your results, then there's no reason to change anything. Your goals are your own.

I read the OP's profile. She is pretty tall. I'm wondering if her body type may be one that makes squatting more difficult. I am not nearly that tall (5'6") but my body build is more of a long skinny leg type and I have a hard time squatting. I bench in the 90s and I front squat in the 70s. I've quit back squats entirely for now because they are extremely uncomfortable and not worth the aggravation for me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy lifting = 75%+ of 1 rep max. Usually this means doing 5X3 or 5X5. If you can get to 10, it's not heavy enough for me to call it "heavy lifting." I don't call anything on a machine "heavy lifting." I don't call anything with bodyweight exercises "heavy lifting." Anything in the high rep range is cardio to me.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sezxystef. Your post is helpful. I'm in the midst of defining my goals. I just want it all.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I read the OP's profile. She is pretty tall. I'm wondering if her body type may be one that makes squatting more difficult. I am not nearly that tall (5'6") but my body build is more of a long skinny leg type and I have a hard time squatting. I bench in the 90s and I front squat in the 70s. I've quit back squats entirely for now because they are extremely uncomfortable and not worth the aggravation for me.

I don't think height has anything to do with it.. I am 5 ft 7 and squat easily...low bar neutral/wide stance squats.

I have other friends on MFP who are over 6ft tall and squat and love it.

It's more about the type you are doing (high bar/low bar/front) and finding a comfortable stance...and good form of course
  • jemhh
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I don't think height has anything to do with it.. I am 5 ft 7 and squat easily...low bar neutral/wide stance squats.

I have other friends on MFP who are over 6ft tall and squat and love it.

It's more about the type you are doing (high bar/low bar/front) and finding a comfortable stance...and good form of course

Hmm. Take out height and put in "long femurs" then. I'm not saying that they make squats impossible but they do make certain variations more difficult. Experimenting a bit with different types of squats can make a world of difference.