super disappointed :(

Options
I just got back from Kaiser where I had a body fat comp done.It was with a laser in my arm! I'm so disappointed. My husband says I shouldn't be and the woman preforming the test said I was in excellent shape, but I still feel sad and disappointed. My body fat % is 20.09. I really hoped for 18. I guess I just have to work harder.

Replies

• sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    honestly if that were my body fat right now I would be really happy. There is a fine balance between being fit and healthy and obsessive I feel. I know this as I know that I can be insecure about my body shape and am my own worst enemy. judging by your photo, you have very good muscle tone so really have nothing to worry about at all!!!

A few years ago, even though I did 12 hours of martial arts a week I couldn't run 500 metres without a walk, I did my first marathon last year. Its about overcoming your mind more than anything.

Being comfortable in your skin will get you round the super disappointed - keep doing what your doing and it'll happen!
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    honestly if that were my body fat right now I would be really happy. There is a fine balance between being fit and healthy and obsessive I feel. I know this as I know that I can be insecure about my body shape and am my own worst enemy. judging by your photo, you have very good muscle tone so really have nothing to worry about at all!!!

A few years ago, even though I did 12 hours of martial arts a week I couldn't run 500 metres without a walk, I did my first marathon last year. Its about overcoming your mind more than anything.

Being comfortable in your skin will get you round the super disappointed - keep doing what your doing and it'll happen!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What do you have to complain about that is a good number for body fat. Some of us are hovering at 48% and working our butts off.:flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Girl you are so toned, that can't be right. Is there a margin of error on those things at all? If not, I would celebrate anyway, because at 20% you look DANG good! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    What do you have to complain about that is a good number for body fat. Some of us are hovering at 48% and working our butts off.:flowerforyou:

I know, and I'm sorry if I sound whinney or like I'm complaining. I know it would have been much much high than that 5 months ago so I do feel good about the progress. I guess I just set myself up expecting it to be lower, so when she told me I felt shocked. I've worked really, really, hard. I don't mean to make anyone else feel bad :flowerforyou: I really hope no one takes it that way. I'm just disappointed in myself.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I just got back from Kaiser where I had a body fat comp done.It was with a laser in my arm! I'm so disappointed. My husband says I shouldn't be and the woman preforming the test said I was in excellent shape, but I still feel sad and disappointed. My body fat % is 20.09. I really hoped for 18. I guess I just have to work harder.

Girl your a hottie and yyou will hit 18 in no time anyway.
  • bnglaze
    bnglaze Posts: 2
    Options
    Being our own worst enemy can be really dangerous, hun. While I know you feel bad mentally, you have to keep things in perspective: with all you've over come, all you've achieved, and all you have in your life, you really need to be happy you are at this point. Dropping to 18% is not a good idea, because at your age anything below 18% might cause an onset of Amenorrhea. While you may not be planning on having any more children, Amenorrhea is linked to skeletal issues, osteoporosis and an increased risk for stress fractures. As a runner, and as a post injury individual, you need to be SUPER careful in maintaining enough body fat to protect your body. Screw the number. Be smart and protect yourself.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You have mirrors in your house. Have you used one lately?!?!?! FFS girl - you have done an amazing job on your body! You should be very proud!
    I wouldn't even WANT to know where my body fat is.
    Just know that you are and always will be a work in progress!
    And you look amazing!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    At your weight you are talking about the difference of 2.1lbs of fat between being 18% body fat or 20% body fat... Letting that little amount bother you and stress you out is doing you more harm to your body then the 2lbs of fat. :) Relax, be proud of your achievements, and enjoy your health!

Why are you shooting for 18%? Where you at that % before and felt good? If that is the case then I'm guessing that the last time you had it measured it wasn't with a laser... it could be you are the same % as the last time, but there is just a difference in how it was measured.

If you feel good, if you look good, don't be disappointed in yourself. Again, that stress is doing way more damage to your body then that little bit of fat. :)
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    You have mirrors in your house. Have you used one lately?!?!?! FFS girl - you have done an amazing job on your body! You should be very proud!
    I wouldn't even WANT to know where my body fat is.
    Just know that you are and always will be a work in progress!
    And you look amazing!

DITTO TO THIS!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm just disappointed in myself.
    What are you dissapointed in? I'm not sure I understand, a 20% body fat??? That's healthy especially as the person suggested if you want to have kids and such. I began at 58% or something crazy like that 3.5 years back so hearing someone say 20% is fat is, well, I don't know seems a bit on the vain side.

I'm sorry you're not happy with yourself, numbers really aren't everything, the scale craze ppl get all worked up about is only a fraction of what healthy really is, same with body fat. I'm not saying lowering body fat isn't important when it's overly high but can't you rejoice in realizing how you've come so far? All your hard work is down the drain because you got a number and you wanted one smaller?? Not so!! That doesn't take away from all the work you've put into this. What was your body fat when you first had it checked to compare?

Wow, I don't quite understand when someone oviously in physical shape (appearance, don't know how you eat etc.) gets so down on themselves. You're healthy, you've learned wonderful new habits here on MFP(hopefully). There are a number of ppl here as members that aren't so lucky, they've got diseases etc. some of which have occured as a side effect of being so overweight, some of us likely scrambling for cover when we see posts like this.:noway:

Be grateful for what you have, seriously, it's what we all need to do more, I say that as I want to continue in my own life.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, it's not particularly meant to, it's simply that I don't understand why a young girl is not happy when oviously by the photos you have changed your body tremendously. Unsure what more you could expect from your body.

Becca
    ack, screwed up the quotes somehow
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    First, you look fantastic! :)

Second - not sure what your goals are with low body fat %? Ie, are you considered an athlete? Under 21% or so gets into the pro/semi-pro athlete range and might start to be an unhealthy range for a normal woman. Ie, I know you have 2 kids, but if you're considering any more your body might be ironically unhealthy enough by being too healthy! :smile: Before you really shoot for 18% or lower ask yourself WHY. At this point, it's not about being healthy becuase you are already very solidly there (at least at a body fat level - can't say anything about eating habits / exercise etc :smile: )
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    .... and you're 'super disappointed' why?????
  • seczneyd
    seczneyd Posts: 25
    Options
    I had my body fat done about 8 years ago when I was working out alllll of the time. I was at 14% - that is not good. The fitness professional that I spoke with told me that even a woman that is fit should really not go much below 20%.

You should be very happy with where you are now. It is healthy. Women need a little more fat in their systems than men. Yeah, men's body fat can be considerably lower, but they don't have breasts! :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    .... and you're 'super disappointed' why?????
    Thank you!!
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look great! Don't get hung up on the number. You have worked hard and it shows.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    alrighty, I went for a run, and thought about all the tough love you all have given me :grumble: :heart: :laugh: and you all are right. I have worked really hard to get here, and I shouldn't be hung up on the number. I have become obsessed with it TBH. Thank you for slapping my hands. The number doesn't really mean anything. It's meant more for a progress report, and I've turned it in to an ideal of my fitness level. I'm still 1,000 times happier with myself compared to 5 months ago. I'm still healthy, and had I not known that number I would still consider myself in excellent fitness. :smooched: Thanks to everyone :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    Dizzie you look amazing, keep up your super motivated approach and you will achieve what you want to!!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yeah, you already looked like a total "after" shot before....now you look like a "way after" shot :wink:
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What's more important the number or your performance? I am trying to cut weight and body fat for boxing but at the same time, I focus on the increase in better performance more than anything. I have excess skin, which seems to skew the bodyfat test anyway which is really frustrating! So again, what matters more a number or the way you feel? If I weigh 10 lbs. more but I'm faster, and beating my opponent then fine by me. If numbers were really truly important, we'd be wearing them on the outside of our clothes, or having our bodyfat stats on our shirts. It's all in perspective.