How many times have you tried to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe 4 or 5 times in my life.
    How many times with MFP?
    This is the first and last time.
    What has caused you to fail/stop in the past?
    I made many excuses. Told myself just eat whatever, you only live once.
    What is making this time different for you?
    Ironically, it's because you only live once. I only have one body and I want to make it a masterpeice. That's why I am changing my bad habits. I got tired of the lame excuses I was making, and I especially got tired of only being able to fit in unflattering plus sized clothing. Never have I wanted to feel good about my body as I do now. I'm still a work in progress, but there is no stopping me.

Also, I'm more educated on the matter. So that makes things a bit easier.
  • blushingbride2bee
    blushingbride2bee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    maybe a dozen times Confessions of a YOYO dieter

*1st Weight Watchers - lost 18 lbs food changes only, no exercising (I was skinny fat Lol)
    Stopped because I got lazy and complacent and It sucks sometime to have to plan everything, track everything and there are times where I wanted to be free of the mental burden of food. (that is a false way of looking at it though)

*Tried the odd cleanse here and there with minor results but nothing that lasted

*2nd Weight watchers - lost 10 lbs Joined again with a friend but had a hard time committing the second time around - inconvenient meeting times busy schedule etc and failed.

*Took a break for a few years from any form of dieting. Then started to exercise a bit, lift weights and then started an exercise DVD "Insanity" lost mostly inches 13" in a month but not weight and was miserable, in pain every day due to extremely sore muscles. Then again got lazy and complacent.

*Got engaged and thought ohmg photos all the friends and family staring at you etc. better focus and get healthy for life not just the wedding. Tried using a personal trainer who made a workout routine but didn't workout with me just gave me the plan.... that didn't stick either.

*This is when I started doing my own research and found KETO. (ketogenic diet, high fat, moderate protein, very low carb). Really interesting science behind the diet, and I am a nerd like that so I really started reading medical studies etc on it. I started this with a friend and was fairly successful on it, probably lost 15-20 lbs in 2.5-3 months. This is also when I found MFP, how else can you track macro nutrients.

I went away for my destination wedding and spent just over a month in Europe not dieting just enjoying life. It has been downhill from there. I have gained a ton since I got back and just have been struggling to find the motivation since then and at first it only seemed like a month or two had gone by and I was tired of tracking and then just enjoying a little break, then it was xmas time, so too busy and want to indulge. then before I knew it 8 months flew by and now I am worse off than square one.

So.... I would say don't diet for an occasion, strict diets may work but they are not sustainable, dieting without exercise isn't a great option, nore is zero to Iron Man exercising a good idea either. I think slow and steady gradual life changes may be key but hey I have not reached my ultimate true potential yet so other people on here may have better suggestions.

One thing I can say is that weight watchers gave me the knowledge of food I never even knew existed, it changed my life and I became a much more informed eater. Once you have that knowledge you will never look at food the same. Keto also changed my perspective on food, specifically on Fat. I thought fats were the enemy and low fat everything is better but how can someone lose 20 lbs by almost an all fat diet...?

It is also really easy to get complacent when life gets hard or busy and if you are like me, your metabolism does not afford you the luxury of not eating consciously for weeks or months on end.

I haven't given up though. I have lost weight before, I can do it again, I know so much more now than I ever did before I just need to find the right balance of enjoying life while working towards my health goals.

(constructive criticism welcome) ;)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    By 'try' do you mean seriously or half-heartedly? Cause the half-heartedly is alot and the seriously is only once.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How many times have you tried to lose weight? I have lost weight many times in my life. Well over 20, I would think.
    How many times with MFP? Once
    What has caused you to fail/stop in the past? I have never failed to lose weight when I tried. I stopped losing because I had lost all I wanted.
    • Perimenopause is making it more difficult.
    • This is the most weight I've ever had to lose. Before I always nipped it in the bud around 10-15 lbs. This time I let it get to 30. Stupid!!
    • I am taking it much more slowly this time in the hopes that eventually I will just get to a happy place and start maintaining seemlessly. Plus, I'm more worried about muscle and bone loss at this stage of life.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How many times have you tried to lose weight? Once
    How many times with MFP? None, found MFP as I was transitioning into maintenance
    What has caused you to fail/stop in the past? n/a
    What is making this time different for you? n/a

I've lost weight one time and have been successfully maintaining the loss for just over two years now. Just turned in my first survey to the National Weight Control Registry today :)
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    several - maybe 10. Sometimes it only lasted a week, sometimes months.
    How many times with MFP?
    This is my first real attempt with MFP. I've been trying (successfully) to lose weight since Easter.
    PIZZA. Seriously, if I order pizza for some reason all bets are off, I stuff myself, and never get back on track.
    1.My husband has been very supportive this time around. He is trying to lose weight as well, and he is more determined than ever... and he hasn't yet ordered pizza.
    2. This is working out SO MUCH BETTER than Weight Watchers. I feel less restricted, and I haven't yet hit a point where I just stop losing. Eventually, with the whole "free" fruits and vegetables thing, I'm positive that I was no longer eating at a deficit.
  • clarey742015
    clarey742015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do i share my diary sorry im new
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    How do you define trying to lose weight? I've had times when I thought, "I need to cut back," but I didn't dare step on the bathroom scale. A couple of summers ago, I lost twenty pounds by riding my bicycle, but then regained it over Christmas, because I didn't refrain from eating and I didn't keep riding. My senior year in college, I lost 70+ pounds. This time around, I've lost over 50 pounds and I'm aiming for 60.

What caused me to fail was that I didn't step on the bathroom scale. I tried measuring my waist for a while, but that didn't help. Other than that, my will to lose weight wasn't as great as my will to eat whatever I wanted. I also was very good at talking myself out of exercise. So many times, I remember looking at flags and if they were standing straight out in the wind, I'd tell myself it was too windy to ride. Now, I welcome the wind. I've also discovered that I enjoy riding after dark
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been big since I was a baby. I can remember 7 specific, real attempts to lose weight. Added all up, my losses equal 350+ pounds. I have not kept any of it off. I actually gained much more weight than what I started with after one of my most successful attempts. Contrary to popular belief, most of these were not extremely restrictive fad diets. All of them (except for 1 Slimfast experiment as an overweight 14-year-old) involved counting calories and exercising. I really believed in the 2 attempts that brought me within a stone's throw of goal. I really thought I was making a permanent lifestyle change. This is the first time I have used MFP.

I'm on week 4. I don't know that this time is any different. What I do know is that this time, I don't care how quickly I lose it. I have MFP set at 1/2 lb per week because I want as many calories as possible. My personal goal weight is also substantially higher. I really just want to take care of my body in a realistic (for me) way. I do believe that I can honestly say that outside pressures, for the first time, have nothing to do with this attempt. I'm okay with being fat. I'm not okay with my eating and exercise habits and the way my body feels.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Wow...lets see. I started when I was 13 years old the first time back in 1989/90. I think the number of times I have attempted to lose weight is in the 1000's..lol...no kidding; and it is always the lack of support from family that caused me to quit. When I am the only person trying to lose it makes it hard. I have never had allot to lose really. Maybe around 30-50 pounds at the most and I have been successful many times.
    With MFP I have been on and off for a few years. Before MFP I used Fatsecret and Sparks People.
  • BusyRealtorDad
    BusyRealtorDad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've tried to lose weight seriously 3 times. One in 2011 I went on a 28 day cleanse and lost 30 pounds. But I went back to my habits and gained it back. 3 years ago I started a plant based diet and did it for about 5 weeks. Lost about 12 pounds. But started grad school and didn't really fit. I hope this time is different because I can see a life with health problems and no energy in my future. I want to feel good about myself and encourage others. This is my first time with MFP. I started an office challenge about a month ago. I'm 10 pounds down. :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would say this was my first serious attempt.

Other attempts were things like giving those drugs a go that if you smell a pizza you find fat and oil in your pants.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Four of five times at least, then gained back all plus some. This time I'm DOING it!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Once
    How many times with MFP?
    Once
    Haven't failed
    I kind of know what I'm doing

My story exactly.

54 pounds down. Abs, sweet abs.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off many times since 1993. I didn't have very much to lose back then...maybe 15 pounds. So I'd lose it then stop paying attention. Next time it would be 30 pounds. ...then 50 and next thing you know it's 100 pounds. So I'm not doing any more diets. I'm just going to eat healthier and do a minimal exercise routine I know I can stick to and that's just how I'm gonna live from now on. I don't weigh myself everyday as I really need this not to be all about weight loss. I'm eating the healthiest most balanced diet I've ever eaten in my entire life. No more fad diets or quick weight loss programs...just healthy foods in reasonable portions. That's why I know this is going to work. No more crap...from me or the food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    How many times have you tried to lose weight? -- I have successfully lost weight several times.

How many times with MFP? -- This is the first time with MFP. I have used other sites in the past.

What has caused you to fail/stop in the past? -- I didn't fail ... I stopped because I reached my goal weight.

What is making this time different for you? -- This time is one of the fastest weight losses I've had + MFP is one of the easier sites to use.

For me, it's more about minor adjustments.
    I maintain my weight within a "normal" range for a while (years).
    I gradually increase my weight over a period of years, usually corresponding with a reduction in exercise for one reason or another.
    I reach a point where I figure I should make an adjustment again.
    I drop back into the "normal" range again (or lower within the "normal" range).
    I maintain my weight within a "normal" range for a while (years).

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This really made me stop and think and the truth is I have been on so many "diets" it's embarrassing. I've done WW, Cohen clinic, diet shakes, lean cuisine meal delivery, personal trainers, bootcamps, beachbody dvds, LCHF, IFing, Atkins, I Quit sugar... the list is endless.

And I did lose weight on most things. And then I put it back on.

Why? Perhaps if I knew the answer to that I would finally win this battle...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How many times have you tried to lose weight? Seriously, once
    How many times with MFP? once
    What has caused you to fail/stop in the past? I quit after two days because I wanted "bad" food
    What is making this time different for you? I eat the "bad" food and lose weight, because I know now there isn't good or bad
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have no idea.

How many times with MFP?
    This must be my second. I was surprised when I tried to log in that I already had an account.

Boredome. The feeling that to stay at goal weight I had to continue obsessing about my diet and my weight.

I don't know yet that it is.

However, I was able to lose 40-plus pounds *without* obsessing, after the doc told me to cut out all "white carbs". I've kept that weight off. Now I'm trying to get below that long plateau.