Crossfit Gym Advice

Options
EmmieBaby
EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
Hi Everyone

Going to visit a crossfit gym tomorrow, anyone have any tips for what I should look out for? I'm interested in trying crossfit but I don't want to end up wasting my time and money or get myself injured.

thanks!

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    Options
    lol yea, dont go there but thats just me.
    What about it don't you like? I'm trying to measure the pros and cons to make sure I make the right call

• franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is great to mix into your routine, but I would still hit up the gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just go. they have an on ramp program that will let you do a few workouts while learning some of the basics and deciding if it's for you.

just go, pay attention, and have fun
  • 2015johnson
    2015johnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing for teaching you 1. How to push yourself and 2. How to lift weights

I was a member for several years and loves that aspect of it!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    http://getbetterhealth.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-crossfit-a-physicians-perspective/2013.09.27
    this has a docs perspective I also read an article about crossfit surpassing running injuries but I can't find it to quote right now or even what I was searching when I found it
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Don't fall into the trap of trying to do the same as everyone else. A lot of crossfit movements are pretty technical and shouldn't be brute forced. It's OK to go light for as long as you need.

Look for gyms with trainers that have more than just the L1 Certification. It's a weekend course and in no way proves competency. Preferably they'll have certifications outside Crossfit... USAW weightlifting cert is a good one to look for.

But yeah, go and take your time. It's cardio, endurance, and skill moreso than raw strength. If you want to get strong, there are better ways. But if you want your strength to progress slowly, have fun in a competitive/supportive atmosphere, and keep a varied exercise routine, it's great.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Make sure the coach actually coaches, gets to know you, and that you are treated like a beginner. Learn the movements and take your time with adding weight. Get a sense of the culture of the particular gym- some are more competitive and some are more friendly. Depends on your goals and personality what you will like. You need to have the confidence to know your own limits and ask for help or scaled versions of workouts if you are uncomfortable or injured. I lucked out and have coaches who really pay attention as well as experienced lifters who like to help others. I’ve never experienced anyone pushing me in an unsafe way, but the adrenaline/excitement/team atmosphere can be a recipe for overdoing it if I don’t constantly remind myself that my goal #1 is to remain uninjured. I absolutely adore CrossFit but it’s not for everyone. I have never been so strong or motivated. I literally jump out of bed to get to the 6 am classes. Hope you find a good fit for you!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Be sure to bring your smart phone so you can 'check in' every time you go and tag everyone who was there with you.

Rottenecards_2748055_5kh6hypnj2.png
  • EmmieBaby
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm not considering Crossfit because its "the latest thing" I want to try it because I love doing mud runs and I've heard Crossfit is a good way to train for them.
  • EmmieBaby
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Be sure to bring your smart phone so you can 'check in' every time you go and tag everyone who was there with you.

Rottenecards_2748055_5kh6hypnj2.png
    love it! I've seen people like that at the old gym I used to go to...their fingers got worked out more then they did.