Protein drinks

Options
mackenziecoy
mackenziecoy Posts: 21 Member
hi guys! I need help on picking what protein drink to buy. I want to lose weight but keep my muscle

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a protein powder? Do you get enough protein from food?

Protein shakes aren't going to help you lose or gain weight, they are simply a way to supplement your protein intake if you can't eat enough.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    What's your age, height, weight, and activity level?

What do your typical meals look like in a day?

How much weight do you want to lose?
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    Oooh okay. How much protein are you suppose to have a day
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Oooh okay. How much protein are you suppose to have a day

0.60 g per 1 lb. bodyweight on the low end... 0.80 g per 1 lb. bodyweight to be safe... all the way up to 1 gram for the typical active person. More if you are a pro bodybuilder who is constantly lifting, bulking, and then cutting.
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    19, 5'5 141
    I would consider my self pretty active. I'm a nanny so I'm always running around. I want to be back at the weight I was 2 years ago which was 122!
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    19, 5'5 141
    I would consider my self pretty active. I'm a nanny so I'm always running around. I want to be back at the weight I was 2 years ago which was 122!

Are you lifting or going to the gym? Running around with kids is probably not enough to be considered even lightly active.

Based on your stats:

If Sedentary, little or no exercise, desk job, then your TDEE is about 1701 calories per day.

If Lightly Active, light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, then your TDEE is about 1949 calories per day.

If Moderately Active, moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2197 calories per day.

If Very Active, hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, then your TDEE is about 2445 calories per day.

If Extra Active, very hard exercise/sports and physical job, then your TDEE is about 2694 calories per day.

TDEE is basically maintenance calories; what you would need to consume each day to stay roughly the same weight.

If cutting, subtract a safe 10-20% from your TDEE. If bulking, add 10-20% to your TDEE.

You will know it's working when the scale starts budging. If not, then you are counting your calories wrong or overestimating your activity level.

Hit me up with a message if you're interested in yummy protein powders. They are good to have as a convenience food if you cannot consistently hit your protein goal with whole food alone. You shouldn't have to take a protein shake every single day though. It's best to get your diet on point first.
  • darrius1980
    darrius1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a website called my protein.com. Real good prices for quality stuff. The figs quoted above by sixxpoint are pretty much bang on, I would recommend maybe a diet whey protein shake if your trying to lose weight but maintain muscle.
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 days a week and do hot yoga the other two days them on the weekend I try and do a hike but that doesn't always happen. Right now I'm eating around 1300-1500 calories a day.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 days a week and do hot yoga the other two days them on the weekend I try and do a hike but that doesn't always happen. Right now I'm eating around 1300-1500 calories a day.

A big problem people have around here, and in general, is accurate calorie counting... whether underestimating or overestimating. The science behind the numbers doesn't lie. So if your scale isn't budging after several weeks at 1300-1500 calories a day, then you are either counting correctly or you are not exercising as much as you think you are. Weighing food before you eat it (ounces or grams) will provide you with the most accuracy. Don't always rely on the MFP database for an accurate calorie count.
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    Oh my gosh Thank you guys both so much! That really helps a lot. Also one last question my friend from the gym told me to buy some amino powder thing and I did but I'm not sure when to drink it after or before my workout
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Oh my gosh Thank you guys both so much! That really helps a lot. Also one last question my friend from the gym told me to buy some amino powder thing and I did but I'm not sure when to drink it after or before my workout

Amino's or BCAA's are not really necessary if you hit your protein goal. Protein contains all the amino's you need.

A caffeinated pre-workout like White Flood Reborn could help you with energy for a long gym session.
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    I just started like two weeks ago and I've lost 6 pounds but it's probably just water weight. I don't really care so much about the calories as long as I'm fueling my body with the proper food it ends and I have enough energy then I'm good
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    The only thing is caffeine makes me feel really weird. I was thinking about getting the hydroxycut with no caffeine
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The only thing is caffeine makes me feel really weird. I was thinking about getting the hydroxycut with no caffeine

Noooooooo...

Fat burners don't work as advertised. Plus, it's usually the caffeine that helps to curb your appetite. There are non-caffeinated pre-workouts, but they don't do much in the way of energy. More for pumps and stuff (that feeling of fullness in your muscles).
    as long as I'm fueling my body with the proper food it ends and I have enough energy then I'm good

Also, for dietary fat, you should be eating a bare minimum of 0.40 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight for optimal hormonal health. Higher is better up to a point. You don't want to overeat well beyond your calorie goal and activity level.
  • mackenziecoy
    Options
    Awh :( that's okay. I should probably just work on my diet first anyways