Knee Pain - Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• skier1985
    skier1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist can also watch how you move. Sometimes unbalanced strength and flexibility can result in injury. They show how to heal and help find a program specific to you, your body and attitude. A good one is golden.
  • javasteve12
    javasteve12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When ever my knee (80% of the meniscus surgically removed) get bad I jump in the pool. Takesbthe strain off the knee.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It wasn't my regular doctor. I can get an appointment with her in August - I might consider doing that.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Getting a new doctor sounds like a good start. Even if it is an acute injury that just needs rest and time, there should be some goal for positive prognosis.

In the meantime, I'd suggest keeping up workouts which are light on the knees. I saw a physical therapist for knee pain, and learned that so many muscles and tendons connect to the knee and so strengthening them can have a major positive impact on knee pain. I now do a series of core exercises, IT band exercises, foam rolling, and especially glute work. In a few months my knee pain has all but disappeared.
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have knee pain that I deal with constantly whenever I exercise. There are straps and braces that may help you during your workouts/hiking. Also, ice/heat/sports cream and Aleve seem to help me a lot. I'd just make sure you don't have any actual damage down there by getting checked out by Dr. and maybe get some xrays/ultrasound down there.

Good luck!
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    @who4fan In your case sometimes compression sleeves can be a help. There are several out there, with Tommie Copper being probably the most popular. I use them for my knees and like them because of the non-slip ring they have at the top of the sleeve that prevents it from slipping down as I workout.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into those!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    She won't refer me to anyone because it would just be a waste of time. I think I need a referral for PT for my insurance.

Most insurances won't require a referral depending on the type of office you're going to. It does sound like you may benefit from some PT. What about seeing an orthopedist vs. your primary care.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I did only cardio the first few months of my journey and then my knee really started to hurt. I went to the doctors and got x-rays and all that jazz, to no avail. He said to stay off it and let it heal. Well, it wasn't healing and only getting worse. Then I discovered tape. I didn't like bulky braces so I used tape before my workouts. I also stopped all the cardio and went to lifting. Now, you wouldn't have thought so but squats really helped. I started the Strong Lift 5X5 routine and within 3 weeks, my knee pain went away completely.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't understand. She diagnosed it as a sprain and told you to stop exercising until it heals. SOunds like good advice. That's what you should do. If you keep overusing it while injured, you will make it worse.

That wasn't the conversation we had. There was no healing, getting better or happy ending being discussed.

A strain will eventually heal...there are different grades. Minor ones quickly, the worse might require medical intervention. But it shouldn't be lifelong.

Did the doctor really say you should NEVER exercise again? At the age of 42? Is it possible that there was a miscommunication? It makes sense that she would say you should just stop exercising. RICE is a well known protocol because it really does help with a lot of minor injuries. Perhaps she mistakenly thought the "until it is better" part was understood.

It probably does make sense to see another doctor who specializes in sports medicine or orthopedics or something of that nature. However, in the meantime I really do believe you would be doing yourself a favor in you take her advice in the short term. Take off another week or even two. I have dealt with various injuries...lots of Achilles tendon issues, calf pulls, one knee injury. When I tried to start running again too soon I always made it worse than it was in the beginning and ended up losing more time.

Depending on the injury, RICE, gentle stretching, or strengthening exercises can work miracles. I had a mysterious hip pain once. My primary care doctor said I was much too young for that type of thing (mid 20s at the time) and sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. He examined me and said it was muscle tightness. He recommended an excellent stretching book (my Bible now) and told me to try it on my own. If it didn't get better in a couple of months, he offered to set me up with physical therapy. Well...stretching is not rocket science. I did some hip stretches from his book and it got better in a couple of weeks and never came back.

Not everything requires aggressive intervention.
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a few of these that I use when my knee pain gets pretty bad. You may want to give them a shot. They are low profile and don't bother me once they get warmed up. http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Jumpers-Strap-1-Count-Packages/dp/B00267SFDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432844216&sr=8-1&keywords=patella+straps