Cardio vs. Strength

Options
2»

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would suggest ditch the circuit machines and, with help of course, lift actual weights...with cardio

I think you'll find that you "outgrow" those machines quickly. As stated above, it would be a good idea to begin transitioning to free weights. Don't drop the cardio though! For me, that is like a mental cleanser. Without running, I'd be in jail already, having choked either some parent's kid or some kid's parent!
    Just keep at it and you will find a balance that works for you.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do both

your body appears to be burning the fat closest to the muscle, so you will appear 'flabber' until your body resync's itself and reduces skin/capilaries etc
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ah please I want to know this too! I'm trying to get 'toned' not really lose anymore weight but people keep telling me strength training won't help this....

Then "people" are wrong. Pick up heavy things, put them back down. Repeat. Go to the results section, tons of women with exactly the results you are looking for from lifting heavy. Some of them even put on 5-10 lbs, but look and feel way better because they're so much more fit.

If you don't know where to start, look up Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for women, and there are women-focused groups on here for those programs.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you don't know where to start, look up Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for women, and there are women-focused groups on here for those programs.

Another good resource (free, too!) is Stumptuous (http://www.stumptuous.com), which is aimed at women but has good advice for all genders.
  • elfnumber2
    elfnumber2 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Dare I say this without getting killed and eaten on mfp but...

Do BOTH. Yes, do strength AND Cardio...

As a PT i would deffinately say this as well as following the healthy balanced diet approach ha.... remeber dont excessive calorie deficit!!!!!! not good!!