run tracking

Options
kbsangel1986
kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm doing the c25k program, and am curious to know roughly how far each day I go. I know, I know, eventually it will be a full 5k, but I'm not there yet. I use my driveway, which isn't very long, so I'm up and down it a bajillion times. Are there any trackers out there that are truly accurate enough to actually know how far I am going while confined to the driveway?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper - uses GPS and I find it is usually accurate.
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The way GPS works in such a small area it's accuracy will be suspect as the way it samples on the switchbacks could introduce errors. I think you may be better using a step counter of other method to measure the set distance then work out how many laps you'd need for your required distance
  • kbsangel1986
    Options
    Guess i will wait for my jawbone to get back from repairs then. Thanks Isulo
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced that the accuracy of any phone app is questionable, regardless of which app I'm using. Too many time I've seen the map of my run to have strange tracks. Even when it looks fairly accurate, it can be as much as 15% difference from the distance I get from plotting the course using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ .

My Fitbit will sometimes get me dead on to the site above, but sometimes it will be off a bit too. I've finally decided to use the http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ or the similar function at mapmywalk.com to determine the distance.

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper, but as stated above, I think the accuracy is questionable if your in a confined area such as a driveway. If it is that important, I would take a tape measure to your driveway and count laps.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Measure your drive and multiply by the number of laps.

All phone apps use the phone GPS which is not very accurate. I have used three different apps on my phone and they all read higher than measured distance.

Why are you limited to your drive? House arrest? B) If not, go to a local school track for accurate distance.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Measure the length of your driveway .... count the lengths you run.
  • kbsangel1986
    Options

Why are you limited to your drive? House arrest? B) If not, go to a local school track for accurate distance.

Lol! No, nothing good like that ;) I just get up before the butt crack of dawn to work it into my schedule before my daughter gets up. If I wait until the evening, it doesn't happen. I live very close to an untrustworthy area (for the time being) and people go out of their way to run you off the road, regardless of your transportation method. Bonus points if you are on foot or a bike, or so it seems. I will have to see if any of the other semi close schools have a track. Neither of the elementary schools nor the middle school close by have one.

Thanks for the ideas :)