Omron Body Fat Loss Monitor

Options
In trying to calculate how many calories to consume in order to lose weight, I asked one of the trainers at the gym if they could calculate my body fat %. They pulled out a machine I have never, ever seen or heard of (read title) and it said my body fat is 20% which is in the athletic range. I don't know much, but that seems off. I thought I would be a lot closer to 25%. Should I buy the 'older' equipment to come up with my body fat or would I be wasting my money? Is the machine (see title) reliable?

Weight: 131
Height: 5ft 7in

zu0ug9axjpsc.jpg
dz9h4bhfq4gp.jpg

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Bioimpedence measurement devices are very inaccurate. I would put you at 28% BF just based on pics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the same Omron machine. I've heard they are inaccurate so I use it more for trending. I don't know how inaccurate they are, but the last few measurements put me at an average of 13% with high being 13.1 and low of 12.7. I know people can look drastically different even at the same body fat percentages.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to calculate your LBM?

Agree with NB...your in that 28% range.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No. Just my body fat %. (Unless that's the same thing?)

Wow!! I didn't think I'd be that high up there. I will have to definitely get a second opinion.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No. Just my body fat %. (Unless that's the same thing?)

Wow!! I didn't think I'd be that high up there. I will have to definitely get a second opinion. (Meaning an opinion other than the machine, not you guys)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    the most accurate method is DEXA of bod pod ….

yes, i would say 25 to 28% body fat….however, I would not freak out about it. Woman genetically hold onto more fat than men, and lean for woman is about 18% …so you are only 10% away …

why do you need to know your body fat to calculate calories? Just enter your stats into MFP and how much weight per week you want to lose and it will give you a number to eat to?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree with the above, don't focus or worry too much about your bf%. Some like to have an idea before they start a bulk so they don't go too far off when gaining. I have no clue what mine is, I just focus on how I feel and look in the mirror.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options

ndj1979 wrote: »

yes, i would say 25 to 28% body fat….however, I would not freak out about it. Woman genetically hold onto more fat than men, and lean for woman is about 18% …so you are only 10% away …

why do you need to know your body fat to calculate calories? Just enter your stats into MFP and how much weight per week you want to lose and it will give you a number to eat to?

I need it to calculate how many calories to consume while dieting to burn fat. I feel like MFP just gives you a number of calories to eat in order to lose weight and it doesn't necessarily matter where it comes from.

I'm trying to lose body fat % by eating lots of protein + healthy fats, and reducing my carb intake (not cutting it out completely). I just want to make sure I'm not over/under eating.

I will not only be relying on my body fat %. I am also taking weekly pics, weighing myself, and seeing how I fit in my clothes (already I feel a difference!!).

If you guys have any suggestions PLEASE let me know. I'm still learning and don't mind constructive criticism if it means it will help me reach my goal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you want to lose body fat, best thing to do would be eat at a reasonable deficit, get adequate protein and lift weights to retain muscle mass. Reducing your carb intake can help some stay in deficit, but going low carb is not necessary to reduce your body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Intensity of your exercise and how you rest (make sure your getting enough) will help you burn body fat more efficiently.
    Steady state cardio is good at burning calories, but doesn't do much to raise RMR. Adding in intervals regardless of what cardio you do will enhance your RMR. You burn the majority of your fat at REST. So lack of rest disrupts a more efficient burning of body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you want to lose body fat, best thing to do would be eat at a reasonable deficit, get adequate protein and lift weights to retain muscle mass. Reducing your carb intake can help some stay in deficit, but going low carb is not necessary to reduce your body fat.

TDEE is 1893 and MFP has me at 1510 so I think I'm on the right road.

*used http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to calculate TDEE

I'm not necessarily focusing on my carb intake (although I do try to make sure it's not too high). My main priority is protein intake, then fat intake, then carbs. I do weight lifting 4-5x a week.

I should probably do a little more cardio..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I'm not necessarily focusing on my carb intake (although I do try to make sure it's not too high). My main priority is protein intake, then fat intake, then carbs. I do weight lifting 4-5x a week.

Doing more cardio will just increase your TDEE; you want to aim for a moderate deficit, so more cardio means eat more food. Do more cardio if you're unhappy with your current calorie level (too few to keep you full) or if you like it. Else, just keep at your current level.

What kind of lifting program are you doing?
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Doing more cardio will just increase your TDEE; you want to aim for a moderate deficit, so more cardio means eat more food. Do more cardio if you're unhappy with your current calorie level (too few to keep you full) or if you like it. Else, just keep at your current level.

What kind of lifting program are you doing?

That makes sense.

Until now I have been working out with my husband. I will be starting strong-lift 5x5 soon!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I loved stronglifts and ran it on and off for about 2 years. Good luck with the program, and hopefully you love it (makes going to the gym so much easier when you enjoy your workouts).
  • ndj1979
    Options

I need it to calculate how many calories to consume while dieting to burn fat. I feel like MFP just gives you a number of calories to eat in order to lose weight and it doesn't necessarily matter where it comes from.

I'm trying to lose body fat % by eating lots of protein + healthy fats, and reducing my carb intake (not cutting it out completely). I just want to make sure I'm not over/under eating.

I will not only be relying on my body fat %. I am also taking weekly pics, weighing myself, and seeing how I fit in my clothes (already I feel a difference!!).

If you guys have any suggestions PLEASE let me know. I'm still learning and don't mind constructive criticism if it means it will help me reach my goal.

You need a deficit to lose fat, period.

second, your body is not efficient enough to just burn fat and not lose any muscle, so ditch that idea.

Third - if you want to lose body fat and retain muscle then get into a lifting program (which it sounds like you are going to start stronglifts, which is great) and keep your protein consumption high. About .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, should do it....or you can do it be .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass...I have seen it recommended both ways...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

second, your body is not efficient enough to just burn fat and not lose any muscle, so ditch that idea.

Third - if you want to lose body fat and retain muscle then get into a lifting program (which it sounds like you are going to start stronglifts, which is great) and keep your protein consumption high. About .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, should do it....or you can do it be .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass...I have seen it recommended both ways...

If she's new to resistance training I would expect her to be quite efficient at not losing muscle. I'd even be comfortable claiming she could gain a little bit of it if she doesn't cut too aggressively or get too lean.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I work two floors above the Omron guys and have one of their monitors. It's an interesting tool, but wildly inaccurate. I found my best readings taken immediately in the morning after using the bathroom and before I drink anything. Speaking with the engineers this is quite possibly the best time to give the most accurate reading. I take 3 readings which are usually <0.1% of one another. I have been tracking a gradual fat % reduction.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree on the upper 20% body fat range.

My omron will read wild measurements depending on the time of the day, whether i've eaten, had water, etc. It's not accurate enough.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

If she's new to resistance training I would expect her to be quite efficient at not losing muscle. I'd even be comfortable claiming she could gain a little bit of it if she doesn't cut too aggressively or get too lean.

was she lifting before starting strong lifts? I thought yes, but if I missed that part, then yes, I agree….