Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    So is it safe to say there is no such thing as an empty calorie?

It's the internet. You can say whatever you want.

I suppose. All jokes aside though, I do think there are empty calories, like in alcohol for example.

Me too. I think non-alcohol calories can be empty too. But I think it would near impossible to come up with a concrete definition of "empty calories" that would apply to every situation.

I would say that calories with zero or almost zero nutritional value are empty. I'm sure some will disagree of course and that's okay. Like you said, this is the internet, say whatever you want.

And then we once again return to cucumbers and iceburg lettuce being empty calories by they definition. Then cereal and ice cream can no longer be called empty calories.

I would agree that ice cream and cereal should not be called empty calories because they aren't calories.

They aren't calories? What does that mean?

a calorie is a unity of energy, ice cream and cereal are foods that contain calories.

So then if calories are units of energy and foods contain calories that means no food is to be considered empty calories because if they have calories they provide energy. Thanks for clarifying your stance.

Or, maybe all calories are empty because they only measure energy provided rather than actually providing it.

And definitely you have made it your goal today to just post pointless statements.

Does that score points?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    So is it safe to say there is no such thing as an empty calorie?

It's the internet. You can say whatever you want.

I suppose. All jokes aside though, I do think there are empty calories, like in alcohol for example.

Me too. I think non-alcohol calories can be empty too. But I think it would near impossible to come up with a concrete definition of "empty calories" that would apply to every situation.

I would say that calories with zero or almost zero nutritional value are empty. I'm sure some will disagree of course and that's okay. Like you said, this is the internet, say whatever you want.

And then we once again return to cucumbers and iceburg lettuce being empty calories by they definition. Then cereal and ice cream can no longer be called empty calories.

I would agree that ice cream and cereal should not be called empty calories because they aren't calories.

They aren't calories? What does that mean?

a calorie is a unity of energy, ice cream and cereal are foods that contain calories.

So then if calories are units of energy and foods contain calories that means no food is to be considered empty calories because if they have calories they provide energy. Thanks for clarifying your stance.

Or, maybe all calories are empty because they only measure energy provided rather than actually providing it.

And definitely you have made it your goal today to just post pointless statements.

Does that score points?

Maybe warning points.

Warning for what? :o
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I’m looking at the label on a bag of BBQ Fritos, and this is junk food. Sorry if this upsets people, but since it is my food and my body, I categorize it in a way that is meaningful to me. Vegetable oil, MSG, a rainbow of weird artificial colors, added sodium and sugar, a bunch of other laboratory concoctions added, etc. I occasionally eat things like this, but I’m not kidding myself into thinking that this is some wonderful, high quality food. It is mass produced crap.

The problem is that many people who label foods 'good,' 'bad' or 'junk' project their personal beliefs onto others, which I have a big issue with. Not saying you're doing this, but this happens All The Time in the forums. If you want to label foods a certain way because that does something positive for you, then sure go ahead and label away. But when you (general you) then tell other people that they also need to label foods the same way or they're eating wrong, ruining their health, will get sick etc, then yeah, I'm going to start throwing my stats at them ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

I know it's Friday, but I expect more from all of you. This has to be one of the silliest "let's argue about semantics and try to bait people into fighting" threads we've had on here in awhile.

Could you at least put in the effort to pretend to have a real discussion? It doesn't need to be CGI caliber or anything, but at least something better than a pinterest "nailed it" fail pic.

Please get back to the topic or go to Camelot. I hear it is a silly place.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I’m looking at the label on a bag of BBQ Fritos, and this is junk food. Sorry if this upsets people, but since it is my food and my body, I categorize it in a way that is meaningful to me. Vegetable oil, MSG, a rainbow of weird artificial colors, added sodium and sugar, a bunch of other laboratory concoctions added, etc. I occasionally eat things like this, but I’m not kidding myself into thinking that this is some wonderful, high quality food. It is mass produced crap.

The problem is that many people who label foods 'good,' 'bad' or 'junk' project their personal beliefs onto others, which I have a big issue with. Not saying you're doing this, but this happens All The Time in the forums. If you want to label foods a certain way because that does something positive for you, then sure go ahead and label away. But when you (general you) then tell other people that they also need to label foods the same way or they're eating wrong, ruining their health, will get sick etc, then yeah, I'm going to start throwing my stats at them ;)

;) I think that this fanatical army of clean eating crusaders that are maniacally scare-mongering and imposing their wills upon us all, with only the IIFYM knights in shining armour (English spelling used to add drama) bravely protecting us from their new world order of mandatory organic chicken and kale, is a monumental exaggeration and this stereotype is perpetuated mostly to provide the serial arguers with something to endlessly argue and preach about
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I think I figured it out.... So the only empty calorie food is water, because water has no calories. So we shouldn't drink water. Is that how we lose weight and stay healthy?