Reward yourself

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
Do you use rewards to help you motivate yourself to keep losing?

From now I do. Every 2 kg I lose I reward myself with something:

<84 kg: get new swimming goggles
<82 kg: buy a new cycling shirt
<80 kg: get a new haircut
reach end goal: buy new clothes (will be around 78-79)

Replies

• forme1415
    forme1415 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself two new pair of shoes for my 50 pounds lost mark. Still alot of work for me to do yet, but I am going with a substantial reward every 50 pounds rather than smaller rewards every 10 pounds or whatever. It helps to add yet another incentive to lose weight. Good Luck on the new clothes!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No
  • 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't do rewards along the way, my few drinks on the weekend are my reward for the hard work Monday - Friday (by few drinks, I mean beer but within my allowance for the week as I save calories up for the weekend)
    When I reach my goal weight, 32lb to lose, I will get that Breitling watch I've been after for a while now!
    Told myself I am not having it until I lose the weight and turn my health around.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    No rewards other than a smaller body and better fitness. I already buy/own whatever I want.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not really. Losing weight and feeling better/healthier has been motivation enough for me.

I've tried the material reward thing in the past and it hasn't worked for me because I can just buy the thing whether I lose weight or not. Or I decide I don't want the item very much.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The reward is the weight loss and the sense of satisfaction at having accomplished it.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It works better for me to reward myself for effort rather than progress. But it's usually just a bubble bath (my bubble baths are serious luxury) or a netflix binge.

I do divide my weight loss up into mini goals which work out about every 3kg but they don't have a reward attached it's just a mental boost.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Incremental rewards didn't work for me as an incentive. Maybe because I chose insignificant things I could easily have bought myself any time, so they didn't feel like a big deal. I had at one time established new handlebar tape for my bicyle as my reward for losing 20 pounds. In the end, my ratty old tape became a nuisance and a hazard long before the 20 lbs came off and I had to buy it anyway.

As a practical matter, I will not invest in an expensive specialty clothing article until I have gotten to a proper weight. I want those bib style cycling shorts and I won't spend all that money on them, only to lose weight and have them not fit anymore. Effectivly, they have become my reward for getting at least near to my goal weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At 30 lbs I got my hair cut.
    At 58 lbs I got a baby. :p:D

Other than that, being healthier and thinner is more than enough reward. On the offhand though, I get new clothes every time I drop a pant size. Thank you clearance racks for being so kind to me....
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Sure do!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No I didn't do any sort of rewards when I was in active weight loss, I was motivated enough by knowing that if I didn't lose the weight I was going to become a T2 diabetic. Fear was a great motivator :p
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No

lol. Same
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I don't really do rewards along the way. The thing is, if I need fitness gear and other stuff, I just go get it.

However, being able to fit back into clothes I haven't worn in several months is or a year or more is really nice. :) I wore a jacket today which I haven't worn in probably 2 years. Last time I wore it, I remember it being a bit snug. I tried it on about 6 months ago, and couldn't wear it. But today ... I wore it, and it was comfortable. :smiley:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a (very cheap) ring for onederland/50 pounds down, and I'm going to get a tattoo when I reach my goal weight. Otherwise, I don't have rewards.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I alternate between bras and shoes every 5lbs right now as a motivator, but I'm not sure 'reward' is the right word for it. The bras I typically need just because they're wearing out, so it's a good motivator to meet my next goal in a timely manner. The shoes will fit when I've lost all the baby weight, and I'm usually replacing worn out athletic shoes anyways. It appeals to my practical side when I'm having a fat/lazy/eat-all-the-foods kind of day.
  • maria76l
    maria76l Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've just started and im setting small goals like every 7lbs i loose i will buy myself a new lipstick or something. I no its not for everyone but i like having small goals that are easer to get to.