First day fail - second day dreads

Options

Replies

• Bel_Esprit
    Bel_Esprit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're not committed nor have a specific plan on how to eat within your calorie goal. Till you do, the pattern will continue.

I'd like to point out you don't know me to suggest my commitment levels to anything. Granted I see where you are coming from, but to make such a statement is in my opinion negative not to mention incorrect.
    Feel free to browse my Instagram. Bel_esprit
    As you will see I enjoy fitness food and life.
    Enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Bel_Esprit
    Options
    unfortunately trying to lose loads of weight in a short space of time (crash dieting) is not better than slow and steady lifestyle change - I'd work on changing your mindset on that first.

Thanks for you words. This is what I plan to do, I'm not dieting so to speak but changing my foods to learn more about my intake so that once the weight is off I can maintain my new weight healthily without the seesaw effect of gaining weight back. :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    10 calories over is not an epic fail. In fact you still ate at a deficit (assuming you chose 2 pound loss so to fail you would have to eat at least 1,000 calories over your goal) so it's still a win. Very few people learning a new thing get it right on the first try. Okay so you stumbled a little. Big whoop. Keep going anyway.

You can totally do it. :)

2010 isn't 10 over 1200....unless I've misread something!
    Still not the end of the world... It's all a learning curve. OP, at least you're aware now if what you're eating

What shadow fax is saying is that 2010 isn't as bad as it seems. It is right around maintenance if this OP chose 2 pounds per week (1200 plus 1000 is 2200).

• Bel_Esprit
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I don't think you failed at all. I agree that it's a learning curve.

First day you got some really good information from logging. You learned some things were higher in calories than you thought. Now you can use that information for your second day. So maybe, instead of having (for example) 2 nut bars, only have one.

It's great that you logged everything your first day. You got some solid data collection right there, and now you have an opportunity to use what you learned and apply some new things.

Good luck.

Thank you for your post, today has been better so far so good I am learning a lot :)
  • Bel_Esprit
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted its all been really helpful! Today is going better and I've got the rest of my week prepared which is great
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    My advice: pre-log everything BEFORE you eat it. Then you'll immediately know if it's worth it and can fit into your calorie budget.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also fell into the "thought this was a healthy snack" trap only to find that healthy meant more nutrients than other choices but also more calories. 'health' food can be calorie dense. That's the pitfall. The benefit is not so much lower calorie, it's nutritious cals Vs. Empty ones. At least my brain doesn't always want to accept that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I like pre-logging my food for the whole day. No big calorie surprises that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,673 Member
    Options
    Bel_Esprit wrote: »
    I'd like to point out you don't know me to suggest my commitment levels to anything. Granted I see where you are coming from, but to make such a statement is in my opinion negative not to mention incorrect.
    I don't have to know you to know what it takes for people to achieve what they really want to achieve.
    There is desire and there is commitment. Lots of people want things. Just wanting something doesn't mean that it will be achieved.
    With commitment, there really are no obstacles, deterrences or setbacks that stop someone from achieving.

So my comment isn't whether or not you enjoy "fitness food" (no real such thing), and life, but as to how you're just winging it without any real plan. It's not personal, it's an observation that I make with people over the 30 something years in the fitness industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• laura789a
    laura789a Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also a "hungry person" or so I thought, until I realised that the less carbs I ate the less I felt hungry the next day. Don't get me wrong I still eat carbs, just in much lower quantities and try to avoid them in the evening or I wake up ravenous.. Snack on fruit and raw veggies, low calorie, fills you up and a great way to get your 7 a day :) also protein for breakfast helps :) good luck x
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    We all have failure days. I had one yesterday. I ate so much food and did no exercise.

I've been at this for 130+ days and lost 30kg, even with the bad days.

Chin up!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was going to point out the same thing that laura789a brought up... if you eat a lot of carbs, you will feel very hungry and very often. Also, maybe try pre-logging a day so you see what calories you are planning to consume. Modify as needed before it goes in your mouth. It's a ll a learning process so you did not fail, you learned something.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Think marathon - not sprint. Make small changes that are sustainable and small goal that are achievable. Once you've done this for a while successfully, then re-evaluate these goals and make new ones, but don't try anything drastic - that rarely works long term.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You're just starting out, I wouldn't consider that a failure. Eye-opening, yes. But don't stress that much about the first few weeks. Get used to the idea of logging and look for trends and patterns. What worked for me was swapping out things slowly. I didn't start cutting large amounts right away or anything like that. By going slow, I was able to retrain myself on what a proper portion actually is, and what things worked for me. Takes longer, but it worked for me. Might not work for you, just food for thought.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is great, but i wouldn't get too hung up on it. Rather look at the content of what you are eating, especially on your bad days. Did i waste calories on something high in fat and sugar? Or was i sincerely hungry and chose the best option available? Thats what i do at least
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who point out this is all learning. Really don't worry, you haven't blown anything you have just found out some information that you didn't know about until today. Have a look at this as well and try and follow some of the links. Its a 101 in fitness and weightloss

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The only way I ever got fat was stopping - don't stop and you will succeed :-) Good luck
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    800 calories is less than a quarter of one pound. If you eat at a 300-500 deficit you'll overcome it in two days. Don't worry about small mistakes and just try to learn from them
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I went to the bulk food store.....spent a fortune on pecans, walnuts, dates, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, dried strawberries, sesame seeds, dried Apple, dried mango, pumpkin seeds....
    Threw them all in a big tub and gave them a shake.
    Ta-da!! Healthy snacks, right?
    Not if one is calorie conscious
    Snack size for me= 45320000 calories.
    Real snack size to fit in my calorie goals= a newborn baby's handful.
    Sigh

At that rate, I'll have the tub of stuff until 2017....
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bel_Esprit wrote: »
    I don't have to know you to know what it takes for people to achieve what they really want to achieve.
    There is desire and there is commitment. Lots of people want things. Just wanting something doesn't mean that it will be achieved.
    With commitment, there really are no obstacles, deterrences or setbacks that stop someone from achieving.

So my comment isn't whether or not you enjoy "fitness food" (no real such thing), and life, but as to how you're just winging it without any real plan. It's not personal, it's an observation that I make with people over the 30 something years in the fitness industry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Is a moderator correcting grammar?

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    No fail. Just learn. You are going to get this.