Going on a cruise and Scared!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Been on 2...both with Fred Olsen. I didn't log food, although I logged on so as not to lose my count.....was on holiday so relaxed the eating rules a lot :happy: . Sure, there's lots of food available, but plenty of options for you to make healthy choices....and you certainly don't need to eat 24/7 just because it's there. We walked round the deck several times most days and I made the use of the gym on days we didn't go ashore.

Enjoy it....don't deprive yourself but go for damage limitation :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can log calories without the Internet. If you have a decent bookstore nearby, you can pick up a calorie counting book, and use paper and pencil to record what you eat. If you're taking a PC, you can download the USDA food database for use offline at this link (Windows only): http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720

Studies have shown that people eat less if they keep a food diary, even if it's just a list of what they ate, without calories.

And I second the advice others have given: use the stairs as much as possible, keep active, eat dinner in the dining room, and if you go to a buffet meal, fill your plate with what you think is a reasonable amount of food, then don't go back for seconds.
  • Lisabel
    Lisabel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually lost weight when I have been on cruises because I'm doing a lot of walking and taking the stairs on the ship because the elevators are usually packed and slow, plus there is usually fresh fruit and veggies already cut up and ready to eat if you need something to hold you over until dinner. And I also noticed that sometimes the desserts look better than they actually taste.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    And I also noticed that sometimes the desserts look better than they actually taste.

I think that's true of a lot of mass-marketed desserts, which makes it very easy for me to avoid them. I'd also be wary of sugar-free and fat-free desserts; heaven knows what they put in them to make up for what they left out.

I've been on only once cruise and it was a small ship in Alaska, heavily focused on activities such as hiking and kayaking. Food was well-prepared and delicious, but not the major reason for being there. I think the people who gain 17 lbs. on cruises go in with the mindset that they're on vacation and they'll eat everything they see that looks good. If you stay active instead and decide what your splurges will be (e.g., light breakfast and lunch but dessert at dinner), you shouldn't gain that much and you'll still have a good time.