Need help!

Options
VictoriaLanette
VictoriaLanette Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
okay so I know the app logs how many steps you take and adjusts your calorie limit by how many steps but I went for a jog this morning and I added it to my excercise but do I need to add it? I don't want it to say I burned more than I did. When I added it, it showed 420 calories burned and now it's showing just the number I put in.

Replies

• marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be misleading. I think as long as you know you are working out you don't need to log it in. Some people go by that and it holds them back from progress because then they feel they can eat more calories. The problem is, how do you know you are burning that for sure? Best thing is to see how accurate it is by checking your progress weekly to see. Or you can invest in getting a Fitbit or polar watch for a more accurate reading. Hope that helps!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you doing MFP method or TDEE ?

if you are doing MFP method then you should log in all your exercise and eat back about half of exercise calories ….
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The step count would include your jog. You should only log exercise that you did not have the pedometer on for or else you're counting it twice.
  • VictoriaLanette
    Options
    Yes, it can be misleading. I think as long as you know you are working out you don't need to log it in. Some people go by that and it holds them back from progress because then they feel they can eat more calories. The problem is, how do you know you are burning that for sure? Best thing is to see how accurate it is by checking your progress weekly to see. Or you can invest in getting a Fitbit or polar watch for a more accurate reading. Hope that helps!

I definitely want a Fitbit I feel that would be most accurate but I was just using map my run and it showed how far and how many calories so I'm just gonna base it off that until I can get a fitbit
  • VictoriaLanette
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you are doing MFP method then you should log in all your exercise and eat back about half of exercise calories ….

I'm not sure I just started how can I find out which one
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I'm not sure I just started how can I find out which one

Use the MFP defaults, setting your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Your calorie goal is activity level minus deficit, so you need to log exercise and eat back your exercise calories.

To understand how MFP works, read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1