Portion Size by the Handful

Options
TimothyFish
TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Some people suggest using your hands to judge portion size. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/)
Protein: palm of hand, without fingers and thumb
Starchy Carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta): fist
Fruit: rounded handful
Vegetables: two hand portion size
Fats (oils, mayonnaise, peanut butter): tip of thumb
Cheese: full thumb
Juice: cup should be about as high as the distance from thumb to forefinger
Because the size of the hand is relative to the body size, people who need more calories get more calories.

Have you found this method of portion control to be useful and how has it compared to other methods you have used?

Also, do you see a significant difference in the size of a fist and the size of a rounded handful?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't use this method often at all,I prefer using a food scale.I'm no good at eyeballing sizes.
    But I have used the palm method when I'm eating at someone's home who doesn't own a food scale. I have no clue if it was accurate or not but figured it would be better then just plopping any amount of food on my plate lol!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I use my hand to measure almonds. I've weighed them several times randomly and I can measure .75 or 1 oz pretty accurately with my palm.

What would be the point of a serving of peanut butter the size of the tip of my thumb?? ::noway::
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    The main flaw for me is that the area of the palm of my hand is two dimensional whereas chicken breast isn't.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    I use my hand to measure almonds. I've weighed them several times randomly and I can measure .75 or 1 oz pretty accurately with my palm.

What would be the point of a serving of peanut butter the size of the tip of my thumb?? ::noway::

I wondered about that too. Two tablespoons is more like the size of a ping pong ball. I have fairly large hands, but even the tip of my thumb isn't that large.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    The main flaw for me is that the area of the palm of my hand is two dimensional whereas chicken breast isn't.

I don't think she said it in the video, but I've heard other people say "the size and thickness of the palm."
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a food scale. However, I would use those methods if I can not access my food scale.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How could this method compare to weighing your food out? Everyone has the same size hands right?
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have giant man hands (even though I'm a 5'3" woman!) so this wouldn't work for me. A food scale is a much better method for me anyway because I need a concrete number, it's too easy for me to lie to myself about how much I'm eating without the numbers in my face.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, this doesn't work for me at all.

For example, chicken breast. A really thick chicken breast that is smaller than my palm size.... how the hell am I supposed to know what that is?

Nope, nope. Everything on the food scale. It's better for me that way. I don't want to guess, I want to be accurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    And I would still grossly underestimate, which is why I stick to my food scale
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    4.75 digi food scale incl delivery here in the uk.. ....safest for me. Grabbing handfuls is what got me here
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest using your hands to judge portion size. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/health-food-portion-control/2091865/)
    Protein: palm of hand, without fingers and thumb
    Starchy Carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta): fist
    Fruit: rounded handful
    Vegetables: two hand portion size
    Fats (oils, mayonnaise, peanut butter): tip of thumb
    Cheese: full thumb
    Juice: cup should be about as high as the distance from thumb to forefinger
    Because the size of the hand is relative to the body size, people who need more calories get more calories.

Have you found this method of portion control to be useful and how has it compared to other methods you have used?

Also, do you see a significant difference in the size of a fist and the size of a rounded handful?

I don't have time to read. So the article is saying put the food in your hand then put your hand on the scale?
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nope, there's no way of that working accurately. For me, I'm on the taller side (5'7), but I have relatively small hands. I would probably end up not eating enough if I were to measure this way.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Too inaccurate for most people imo. I can see it working, but only for those flexible enough to be mostly tere anyway, people still eyeball ok, but then plenty olof others never need to diet in the first place because they naturally portion control.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    oDciajd.gif

If more accurate measuring devices aren't available, then yeah that would be close enough for gubmint work
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    How could this method compare to weighing your food out? Everyone has the same size hands right?

As I understand it, the point of using your hands is that you would start with the guidelines, let's say 2-3 servings of meat per day, and use your hand to determine what size a serving is. If you wanted to know how many calories were in that serving, you would need to weigh the portion. A smaller person would end up with fewer calories and a larger person would end up with more calories, but they would both be eating the same number of servings.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

As I understand it, the point of using your hands is that you would start with the guidelines, let's say 2-3 servings of meat per day, and use your hand to determine what size a serving is. If you wanted to know how many calories were in that serving, you would need to weigh the portion. A smaller person would end up with fewer calories and a larger person would end up with more calories, but they would both be eating the same number of servings.

Serving size is a serving size and does not change whether I have more body weight. That I have never heard before.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This seems like just another way for you to negate food scales. I get that for you they don't work, but using every chance you can to express how much you dislike them gets old after a while.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This seems like just another way for you to negate food scales. I get that for you they don't work, but using every chance you can to express how much you dislike them gets old after a while.

I find it more comical than anything else.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This is not a new concept. The hand and other visual measurements for serving sizes (e.g. meat the size of a deck of cards) has been around for decades. It's not meant as a replacement for weighing food. It's meant as a simple method of determining portions for the vast majority of people who don't or can't weigh everything they eat.

Common sense should be enough for a person with larger/smaller than average hands to know that they should adjust accordingly.