what to do on those days when your constantly hungry?

Options
Everyone has the days where you just become a bottomless pit. I feel that today is going to be one of those days for me. It is only 9:30 in the morning and I have already eaten 1/3 of my calories and I don't even feel like I have eaten anything at all. Granted there hasn't been any protein in there really so that probably has something to do with it, but normally I have the same breakfast every morning and it holds me until lunch.

I have been up since around 4 this morning too though, so almost 6 hours but I know I am not going to bed until at least 10 tonight.... I guess I am kind of wondering, when you only get 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night, how can I function with the same amount of calories, any tips or tricks... just because even with snacks and stuff it just doesn't feel like enough, gaaah!

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I usually take it as a sign that my body is needing the extra calories and add a reasonable snack or two in. I try to make my choices good ones and aim for balance with the macros. I started feeling like that last night and today is not too different so I will probably add a few hundred calories today.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Granted there hasn't been any protein in there really so that probably has something to do with it, but normally I have the same breakfast every morning and it holds me until lunch.

That might have something to do with it, but not necessarily the "reason".

What have you eaten so far and how many calories are you allowed per day?

Also, you are correct in thinking that if you are awake and moving for a few more hours one day that you will need a few more calories, but your body is not responding to it that quickly, and it is probably only in the neighborhood of 100-200 calories anyways depending on activity and your physical stature.

I would almost bet you are bored and your "clock" is a little off today from waking up earlier, but if you are just wanting to get full with low calories, try some greek yogurt (I like plain mixed with casein) and a giant low cal salad (veggies, no toppings or dressing). You'll be full!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just eat. I have a few days a month like this too. Then it stops and I just eat a bit less. But try to stick to whole unprocessed foods, lots of veggies, whole grains, protein, greek yogurt...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I usually take it as a sign that my body is needing the extra calories and add a reasonable snack or two in. I try to make my choices good ones and aim for balance with the macros.

^^ this
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I binge on fruit
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Those are the days I reach for my frenemy, peanut butter. While it is high in calories and fat, it is also very filling. Two nice tablespoons will usually keep my hunger at bay, and it tastes soooo gooood....
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Distract myself entirely with something that makes it awkward to stop in the middle to get food - a computer game, DIY, gardening, painting, or something that needs to be finished in one go. Messier things help. TV is something to avoid at all costs.

I find on hungry days I will just eat and eat and eat regardless otherwise; nothing seems to make me satiated.
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for me those days result from not enough sleep, I am tired not hungry, or not enough water, I am thirsty not hungry. So tuning into those signals helps me. Water is a biggie. Everyday is different, I make allowance for those days when I will eat over the limit, as long as it is not more than once a week if possible.

I will drink a glass of wine or eat Lilly's chocolate with almonds sweetened with stevia for a treat. Then I feel indulged and happier.

Deborah
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • daubna08
    daubna08 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know this may seem like too simple of an answer but I recommend chugging water. I keep myself on a pretty strict diet as well and whenever I am feeling like I could eat all day, I just gulp down 16 oz of water and the feeling goes away. Otherwise, I would definitely eat more protein and whole grains to fill you up...chicken, turkey, even string cheese has protein. :)
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You are currently netting 45 calories, that can't be helping...
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure but if you are breast feeding and you are hungry, you should be eating.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm gonna agree with this person. I'm hungry when I've only netted 45 calories too.

Might be time for lunch, is all I'm saying.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I know those days. They come along a couple times a month. Those are the days I eat my favorite foods without regret. I usually have a big lunch those days with carbs, protein, fat, veggies-a little bit of everything.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I also agree. Drink plenty of water (yay breastfeeding!!) and eat. I think 1300 calories is too low for anyone breastfeeding with only about 15lbs to lose. Just my opinion. I breastfed my daughter for 2 years. If I stayed at 1300 cals a day I probably would have chewed my own arms off.
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    thanks for the tips everyone, a lot of great advice! I will certainly just eat as my body tells me to but just make sure that they are healthier choices so that I am not "losing my way".

As for only netting 45 calories, that is not exactly true. Breastfeeding over a 24 hour period burns 500 calories, so technically by 9:30 in the morning I hadn't burned 500 calories yet, that is just how much I will have burned by the end of the day. I also am eating back those calories so instead of eating 1300 calories a day I am eating 1800. Don't worry my baby and her health comes first. I wouldn't starve myself, and by extension, her.
  • Kimi103
    Kimi103 Posts: 9
    Options
    I eat? LOL I'm not too strict on my diet. If I'm hungry, and I want to eat, I eat. I just try to eat something healthier.