Hot yoga

Options
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a wonderful day. I was just wondering what your guys thought were on hot yoga. I've been doing it for about 2 months now and love it

Replies

• iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I went with my daughter once when I was visiting her and I believe it was actually dangerous for me. I had a very late flight the night before, so got only 3 hours of sleep. Also, I always am very dehydrated after a long flight. So....a 90 minute class made me feel very sick. I do think it is a bad thing that you are not allowed to take a drink of water until a certain point. All that said, my daughter liked it a lot, but doesn't go any more. I say if you like it, are well hydrated and having no negative effects, go for it. The best exercise is the one you enjoy.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just don't fall for those nonsense teachers who claim it burns more calories than regular yoga, and point to your higher heart rate as proof.

Personally, I wouldn't even take a yoga class from an idiot like that :)

But that heat and warmth can really go a long way toward preventing muscle injury. Plus learning to breathe through the added stress of the heat has lots of benefits outside the yoga classroom.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound enjoyable to me at all... and I enjoy yoga!

If you like it, do it :smile:
  • jamieb81224
    jamieb81224 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga!!! I haven't been in months bc I moved about 45 minutes from my favorite studio. This post actually reminded me to get my butt in gear and find a good one around me. I used to go with my 3 siblings and they loved it too.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    iluvco3 wrote: »
    Well, I went with my daughter once when I was visiting her and I believe it was actually dangerous for me. I had a very late flight the night before, so got only 3 hours of sleep. Also, I always am very dehydrated after a long flight. So....a 90 minute class made me feel very sick. I do think it is a bad thing that you are not allowed to take a drink of water until a certain point. All that said, my daughter liked it a lot, but doesn't go any more. I say if you like it, are well hydrated and having no negative effects, go for it. The best exercise is the one you enjoy.

What? You can stop and drink water whenever you please. Just because they don't specifically TELL you that you can drink then, doesn't mean you aren't allowed.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I tried bikram yoga last year and didn't love it but we are all different so if you enjoy it then do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just realize that doing "hot" yoga isn't burning hardly anymore calories than regular yoga. Also all that sweating is just water helping to cool the body and not from excessive work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just realize that doing "hot" yoga isn't burning hardly anymore calories than regular yoga. Also all that sweating is just water helping to cool the body and not from excessive work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • alydrak
    alydrak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like Jamieb, I love hot yoga, but haven't been able to go in months. For me, the heat relaxes me and makes everything bend a little better. "Hot yoga" is actually different from bikram even they're both fine in a hot room. Bikram is very disciplined and is likely what iluvco3 tried. I don't know that I come out of hot yoga with a load of physical benefits, but I do feel awesome afterwards!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of hot yoga. I find it unnecessary. I've heard of classes that do not "allow" participants to drink water in classes and I wouldn't ever do a class like that. it's dangerous. the sweat is just dehydrating you and trying desperately cool you off.
    Maybe once a month, but I wouldn't do it more than that. I would do any other type of yoga over hot yoga

but that's just my opinion