Excess skin after major weight loss...please be kind

Options
melissasue0317
melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
Hey everyone! I was hoping to hear success stories about 100+ lbs lost and how you dealt with the excess skin.

I truly think I will be headed towards surgery for it but I hope not.

About me, started at 320lbs in Sept 2013 (6 months postpartum from my twins) , currently at 196lbs. My goal weight was/is 190. Even though this is technically still overweight, I never imagined getting to this point. I will not stop "trying" at 190 of course, I will continue my new lifestyle forever, if I continue to lose I will be ecstatic. I am 5'9. Joined Planet Fitness a little over a month ago (yes I know some people look at PF as a lazy gym lol). Anyways I think it fits my schedule and busy life well, so far it has been a great addition for me.

Problem is, my stomach is still very flabby with a lot of overhanging of skin/fat? Plus my arms are yuck. I broke my arm about 4 years ago and never attempted to build much strength back so I know this is my fault as well. Has anyone's skin realistically bounced back from so much weight loss and muscle neglect for many years.

Replies

• cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Did not want to read and not reply. Congrats on your accomplishment!!! I had a "panniculectomy" at 213 lbs. They removed just over 12 lbs of hanging belly and I could not be happier. You have to do what's best for you. You have done more than most and deserve to have the skin removed if that is your wish.
  • happygrandma52
    happygrandma52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add my congratulations to your story!! A job well done - you have lots to be proud of!!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Just adding a bit of my story. I started at 297 and am currently 181. I too have quite a bit of loose skin. Lifting weights has helped some. I did ask my doctor about it at my last appointment. I can have it removed but insurance will not cover anything. He advised waiting a year to see what may reduce on its own.

Congratulations on the weight loss and lifestyle change. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss.

My stomach's not perfect and I'd still like to lose another 8 to 18 lbs. I've lost 122lbs so far and I'm 6 yrs younger than you. Here's what it looks like currently:
    qn7cmu1k6zrr.jpg

I have plenty of stretch marks and some loose skin with a little fat hanging over my c-section scar. I am hoping it will tighten up some more, but if it doesn't I will probably save up to have it removed. I'm thinking I'll start saving when I move to maintenance, wait 1-2 yrs and if at that time it hasn't reduced to my liking then I will have it removed (and should have enough saved by that point for the procedure).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would embrace the excess skin. It is a constant reminder of the blood, sweat, and tears you shed throughout your weight loss journey. It is a constant reminder of your hard work, perseverance, and dedication. That's a beautiful thing.

• melissasue0317
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am in no way ready to show others pictures lol. It's a significant amount of hanging skin, I'm assuming still with amounts of fat in there. My insurance does not cover anything either, so I'm very bummed about it. I'm not close to being done but it's disappointing to still get so sad about how you look.

I've told my husband that sometimes being fat was easier. Bc I knew I was just fat and was totally my fault. Now I'm trying so hard to still look gross.

My Multiple gestation with c section didn't help either lol. But I'm healthier. My 2 year old son and daughter are healthy and amazing. So I have a lot to be thankful for.
  • thriller001
    thriller001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • melissasue0317
    Options
    If you Google skin apron, that's what I'm working with. Wish insurance covered some things. I'll check into the panniculectomy option and see if that could be discussed.

My 2 year lifestyle change Mark is mid September. I wanted to be 190 by then. I'm so close.
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel any better "twin skin" is a very common. My twins are almost 10, and I have it...my cousin's twins are 18, she is a size 4 and she has it. Insurance companies can be bullied into paying for the skin removal if you have a problem with skin infections under the flap. I am doing my best to work out and then see what I have. I started at 379, and am now 254. I want to get to 199 at the very least. I had a lap band when my twins were three and decided to take it very slowly so my excess skin wouldnt be so bad. It is not great on my tummy, but I have a csection scar that runs top to bottom, thru my belly button, so it's not like I am going to be in a bikini anytime, lol...congrats on your weight loss
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I would pinch pennies, get a loan whaever necessary to remove the akin. How you feel is most important. Take the good advice given here though maintain loss for a while, weight train and a lean diet. You can do this because you are already successful. And I'm sure you're, keep not gross, Keep positive thoughts☺
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your not gross, is what I mean.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You're not gross, you look really cute! Be kind to yourself. Your body has been through so much: you have lovely babies, you have improved your health tremendously by losing weight, it's not just about looking great naked. You look great in clothes already! I KNOW how we wait for the new, amazing body so much, and how it feels like it's just the same old body with new problems. But you have loved that wonderful, hardworking, strong body of yours enough to shed all that extra fat! Don't stop loving it now. Save for the surgery in a couple of years if you want, but meanwhile be proud of yourself every day.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi there congratulations! I think its kind of weird for someone to tell you to keep the skin like a badge of honor. I know I've had friends tell me that it actually inhibited their progress because it was uncomfortable when working out or would rub against other skin and cause rashes, and then there just is the confidence factor. I would take the advise that first start with some heavy lifting and see what you can tighten up, but every body is different. Do what is going to make you happy and maybe check with a doctor instead of us. ;)
  • melissasue0317
    Options
    I started lifting when I joined the gym so the current plan is to continue doing what I do. And if 6 months or so pass without significant change I will go see a surgeon.

It does get uncomfortable, especially if I attempt to jog/run. I wear compression gear most of the them and lots of hygiene bc rashes are an issue with this type of problem.

My kids will know a healthy lifestyle is a part of our lives. I'm determined for that.
  • angeltilo
    angeltilo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know any tips for excess skin but what you've done is amazing and inspirational! Hopefully you can find a non surgical solution!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    So I was only 218 to start with but I carried it in my stomach mostly. I lost 100lbs and it did leave a bit of skin.
    IMG_6191_zps8a275207.jpg

This is what I call my honest shot. No makeup, no push up, no filters or attempts to cover the stretch marks or loose skin. I was also not working out at this time though so even though I weigh 6lbs more now it doesn't have any of the muscle rebuild that I have been working on for the last few months.
    be26c401-f7b4-4a91-8480-f716e1e26213_zps9968ee4a.jpg

Now this is what a little bit of workout does for the loose skin (and a decent push up bra).
    6ee37238-b6db-4d0a-aa43-61e0e6f1e320_zpsmo1x1iy8.jpg

Keep working and let the results take care of themselves. It takes about 2yrs of maintaining a lower weight for your skin to recover. I will not say that I am happy with the loose skin. When I lean over I am especially unhappy but for the most part I like me, even naked and that is something I would have struggled to say at a larger size. It is worth the effort, and even though I may never get the body or skin of a 20 something yr old I am happy with what I have accomplished and you should be too.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    So I was only 218 to start with but I carried it in my stomach mostly. I lost 100lbs and it did leave a bit of skin.
    IMG_6191_zps8a275207.jpg

This is what I call my honest shot. No makeup, no push up, no filters or attempts to cover the stretch marks or loose skin. I was also not working out at this time though so even though I weigh 6lbs more now it doesn't have any of the muscle rebuild that I have been working on for the last few months.

Now this is what a little bit of workout does for the loose skin (and a decent push up bra).

Keep working and let the results take care of themselves. It takes about 2yrs of maintaining a lower weight for your skin to recover. I will not say that I am happy with the loose skin. When I lean over I am especially unhappy but for the most part I like me, even naked and that is something I would have struggled to say at a larger size. It is worth the effort, and even though I may never get the body or skin of a 20 something yr old I am happy with what I have accomplished and you should be too.

This is GREAT! Thanks so much for the pics!!! Inspiring and so helpful...you look AMAZING by the way!
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    IMG_6191_zps8a275207.jpg

You look pretty well done on your achievement :) OP you've done an incredible job, I would support what others have said re. Letting what will recover, recover then consider skin surgery from then if it makes you happier :) so very impressed! x
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs and did have excess skin removed.

It is a pretty involved, painful, and expensive surgery.

But if you are like me and wanted to continue and active lifestyle of jogging and biking, the excess skin actually got irritated and was a problem.

It gets down to how you feel about yourself and if you want to!

I have lifted weights and added arm/shoulder/back muscle to help offset some of the loose skin. But abdominal skin is a tough area to have bounce back.

Congratulations on your awesome success!

Well done and best wishes on whatever you decide.
  • melissasue0317
    Options
    Ladies, I was just now able to see the pictures from a pc vs my phone. Thank you so much! You both look AMAZING and that gives me some great hope :smiley:

I would love to say I did it all on my own without surgery once I reach a weight/size/comfort size.

Plus, I am still on the fence on if we are "done" having children lol. My husband use to say we were totally done, but now that our little ones are 2 and not "babies" anymore, he says its my decision haha. I would say I am 70% sure we are done...... :#
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!