Looking for recipe ideas!

Options
alexjometric
alexjometric Posts: 7 Member
Hey, guys!
I'm a new military wife up in North Dakota, and I want to learn how to cook good food without overcomplicating it. My husband is the cook in our house, but he works all day and is fairly tired when he gets home. We really like pastas, burgers, casseroles, and stir fry. I know how to make a few of these on a very basic level with individual ingredients (like turkey meat, veggies, etc), but I was wondering if any of you guys had recipes that you really like, and that are healthy and relatively easy to make?

Replies

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com. I use it a lot. many times i follow recipe exactly, lots of time i'm using it as more of an 'inspiration'. another thing you can do is take the recipes you know and lighten them up. add in more veg to a casserole, take out some of the pasta or rice.
    One of my favorites is chicken santa fe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

also chicken ropa http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/01/chicken-ropa-vieja.html

Another favorite is I cut up about 1-2 lbs of cubed steak into strips- cutting against the grain. salt, pepper and cumin goes onto the strips. heat a cast iron skillet up nice and hot, sear the strips in a little oil- cooking in batches so that they don't "steam". set meat aside in a bowl. now add thin sliced onion(one medium) and one of each- red/yellow/orange bell peppers. saute them up in a smidge of oil as well. set aside on top of meat. deglaze pan with some(a healthy splash or two- at most about a 1/4 cup) wine or beef broth, making sure to scrape gently to loosen all those yummy cooked bits from the pan. add one 10oz can (or close to that, can't remember actual size) of no salt tomato sauce. add some garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. I also add cumin, and smoked paprika(just a smidge). add in steak and peppers/onions, and simmer through for a bit- 10 mins is enough, longer is better. Serve over brown rice. really hardy and filling. If you cut the sauce down you can use it as a burrito/enchilada filling. It freezes wonderfully- and tastes even better then! you can make serving sizes as big or small as you want.
  • billiej97
    billiej97 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love making stuffed bell peppers. I fill them with chicken and veggies. I also make omelettes, tuna fritters, salmon and roast veggies.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    yes, skinny taste is AWESOME! I just came across this recipe that I am going to try

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    billiej97 wrote: »
    I love making stuffed bell peppers. I fill them with chicken and veggies.

skinnytaste also has some stuffed zucchini recipes, YUM! Not that there is anything wrong with stuffed peppers, just a different take :)
  • LisaRoloff
    LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    you know, ask your husband to teach you to cook. :) people that enjoy cooking love to teach other people. Ask him to write down prep work instructions to leave them for you in the morning and you will have it all done and out of the way for him when he gets home. Prep work is actually fun to do when you have company and children will need to learn how to cook too. When he gets home, have him teach you how to assemble the meal fro the prep stuff you have ready and remember what he had you do and next time you have dinner ready for him when he gets home. :)