do you count vegetables

Options
boopsiegrl
boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
does all you count vegetables I am not talking starchie veggies but the others? I have heard its not necessary but just wondering your input

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If it has calories (which all vegetables do), I count it
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If it goes through your mouth, you track it. (I don't log black coffee and water because they lack any of the nutrients I track, but I know I SHOULD track even that; hydration DOES matter, too.)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them. Many non-starchy veggies are low in calories. But if you eat a lot of them, they can add up, so I count them when I am logging.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ofc its neccessary because they have calories and a plateful can add up to hundreds. Stop listening to the wrong people.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    nop.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth I log it, not tracking everything means you are cheating on your intake. The only person you cheat by not logging is yourself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I count everything, even my 7 calories worth of spinach I put into my smoothie everyday. I'm not just watching my calories, but my macros too. I aim for 50g of fibre a day, and every single little vegie adds up
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yes. If it goes into my mouth, it gets logged.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I count everything, even my 7 calories worth of spinach I put into my smoothie everyday. I'm not just watching my calories, but my macros too. I aim for 50g of fibre a day, and every single little vegie adds up

Yup - 7 calories of spinach for breakfast for me, too. That's actually very important to me because by limiting your calories, you can easily limit vitamins, etc., too, if you're not careful. Spinach is a key source of Vitamin A for me; it might only by 7 calories, but it is a significant percentage of my daily Vitamin A intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The tomato I just put on my cheeseburger came to 11 calories. That could be the difference between me being under or over my calories at the end of the day.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Track everything, even non-starchy veggies.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count all veggies. The one thing I don't do is weigh green leafy veggies like lettuce, I eyeball them
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I track everything, not just for the calories but to keep an accurate record of nutrients. I do look at that information at the end of the day to make sure I am getting the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients I need.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have seen this question so much lately. What's up with weight watchers? Are they scaring everyone away?

• velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I log every calorie. It hardly takes any time and I want to be as accurate as possible. I definitely want to add more vegetables to my diet and pay more attention to micro-nutrients, so logging is important.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have seen this question so much lately. What's up with weight watchers? Are they scaring everyone away?

On weight watchers they don't count... but they also are not specifically counting calories on that program. They are relying on their formula. I have done weight watchers, but have found more success with MFP... so I count everything! A calorie is a calorie.

• arditarose
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »

On weight watchers they don't count... but they also are not specifically counting calories on that program. They are relying on their formula. I have done weight watchers, but have found more success with MFP... so I count everything! A calorie is a calorie.

Yeah I know, that's why I wondered if there were a lot of people leaving weight watchers because I have seen this question about 3 times per week for the past few weeks.

I hear you. I weigh my spinach.
  • mec2012a
    mec2012a Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been in weigh watchers for 7 months. When I don't count fruits and vegetables, which they say are 0 points, I do not lose weight. I count my bananas as 3 and apples as 2. Then I lose weight. 20 lbs in 7 months.
  • ladynasdaq
    ladynasdaq Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've asked this uestion many times to Dieticians at work. I work in the ICU in Hospitals. The stock answer is no, you don't count veggies that are non-starchy because digestion and fiber work together to make veggies negligible. Fruits are another story. They have a higher sugar cal content so yes if you count calories you would log those in. Fats,starchy veg and proteins all are to be logged in.
  • arditarose
    Options
    mec2012a wrote: »
    I have been in weigh watchers for 7 months. When I don't count fruits and vegetables, which they say are 0 points, I do not lose weight. I count my bananas as 3 and apples as 2. Then I lose weight. 20 lbs in 7 months.

Interesting. I heard it should work if you don't count them because they give you a lower calorie count and hope that you will fill up on fruits and veggies (so they are technically counted, in a way).