Carbs before or after training legs to grow muscle

Hey guys I've tried to google this info but it only makes me more confused. Anyways I train legs 3 times a week and my question is, should I intake more carbs the day before or on the day of leg training ??.

Replies

• krallice
    krallice Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Eating extra carbs in advance of exercise is more a cardio endurance thing than anything else (e.g. eating a load of pasta the day before a marathon or soccer game). If you're doing extensive strength training, you'd just want to take in ~30g of dextrose or glucose within half an hour or so after your workout in addition to the usual protein shake or protein-heavy meal. That'll help with energy for muscle recovery.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Hey guys I've tried to google this info but it only makes me more confused. Anyways I train legs 3 times a week and my question is, should I intake more carbs the day before or on the day of leg training ??.

Make sure you get adequate carbs In general. Have a nice mix of carbs and protein post-workout. A simple glass of chocolate milk within 30 minutes will do the trick-followed by a more substantial meal a few hours later. I like half a protein shake and a banana. This is the basic advice given by SCAN and is basically what athletes do (obviously scaled to their needs).
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    After, carbs raise insulin, insulin is anabolic.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Both. You need carbs before to ensure muscle and liver glycogen so you can lift heavier/longer. You need carbs after to spike your insulin and promote an anabolic environment, and again to replenish glycogen stores.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Why would u
    mjudd1990 wrote: »
    Both. You need carbs before to ensure muscle and liver glycogen so you can lift heavier/longer. You need carbs after to spike your insulin and promote an anabolic environment, and again to replenish glycogen stores.

Why would you need carbs to spike your insulin level when the energy can come from stored body fat. Fat stores can replenish your glycogen levels..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    You grow muscle on rest days. That's when you nutrient load should be paid more attention to. Loading up before and after a workout doesn't have a significant effect on muscle growth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png