Carb alternatives for evening meal

Options
kbcara
kbcara Posts: 105 Member
I am NOT giving up carbs. BUT I would look to reduce them with my evening meals without feeling like I'm missing out. Would love people to share their favourites. I'll start:
- Courgettini instead of Spaghetti
- Broccoli/Cauliflower Mash instead of Potato Mash

Replies

• V_bonita
    V_bonita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice instead of brown rice
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I do soups or stews I often substitute turnips for potatoes.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I like to use spaghetti squash with low sodium pasta sauce. I also put ground hamburger on it with onion flakes and garlic. Love it! I eat an entire half!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I do cauliflower rice but I never really liked rice to begin with... I also make zucchini "noodles" (I use a spiralizer but you could also use a vegetable peeler to make the zucchini into "noodles" or strips) instead of pasta.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just do 6 oz of meat and a good 400 grams of veggie.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Found a recipie online a while back while looking for something without grain for Passover and ran across a chicken crust for pizza. Essentially, chicken and cheese cooked together to form a crust. It never got as firm as the original recipe said it would, but since we ended up with a very tasty pile of meat, we really didn't care that we had to eat it with a fork! XD

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/02/easy-pizza-crust/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.inspiralized.com
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just do 6 oz of meat and a good 400 grams of veggie.

Basically this.

I mix up the veggies--maybe some root veggies like carrots and turnips and celeriac instead of carbier potatoes or sweet potatoes. Then also my usual non-starchy veg.

Or I have winter squash or avocado as a side instead of a starchier carb. Plus the non-starchy veg.

Or sometimes brussels sprouts work as a second side instead of a starch.

Or if I really want to save calories I do a big bunch of mixed veggies. Or maybe a big salad side plus a cooked veg.

Fruit and dairy have more carbs, but sometimes I substitute one of them for my starch also.