Cto5k

Options
Frankly I was scared to post here. I am not fit. I am not sporty. I may be doing it all wrong. But I have started a C to 5 K work out based on a phone app. So far I love it but have encountered pain and soreness in my ankles and knees recently. What have I done wrong?

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting C25K! If this is your first time running in a while, you will get sore all over your legs at different times. Just make sure you get properly fitted with a pair of running shoes that matches your gait, this is going to considerably lessen your soreness and prevent major injuries.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started the program I sometimes repeated a week before moving on. I think that is why this has been the first time I was able to increase my distance without injuring myself. I now run 3 miles as my regular workout and train for 10ks...and it's because I took it slow
  • LizLearnstoRun
    LizLearnstoRun Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am redoing a week right now because I was not happy with my performance
  • LizLearnstoRun
    Options
    It maybe the shoes they are just cheap athletic sneakers
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted for shoes. It costs a little bit more but makes SUCH a difference.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted for shoes. It costs a little bit more but makes SUCH a difference.

Definitely agree! This made a huge difference for me.

Edited to say that I still have some soreness in the knees and ankles (I have arthritis in my knees, so good shoes were a must). I just make sure I have rest days. Stretching and strength training might also help.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes. I can always tell when it's time for a new pair because I get pain in my feet, shins and knees.
  • LizLearnstoRun
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I guess I will have to spring for better shoes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You need to get fitted for proper running shoes. proper shoes are critical...go to an actual running store, not a generic shoe store or athletics store...go to a running store; they will watch you walk/run on a treadmill...often take video, etc to observe your gate and whether or not you pronate, etc. Then they will provide you with options for the proper shoe. It is VERY important if you're actually training to run.
  • LizLearnstoRun
    Options
    shoes from the running store are not possible.... simply outside the budget but will seek better shoes
  • mattdsoares
    Options
    You can absolutely do it. I started c25k at 300lbs and just finished week 5. I've done every run and haven't had to repeat anything. I just did the first big non stop run, 20 minutes, today.

Running is very mental. Your body will begin to get up to speed quickly but your mind will make it seem more difficult than it really is. Keep a positive attitude and don't think about the time too much. Just put your tunes on and go out there and run.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    get properly fitted with a pair of running shoes that matches your gait, this is going to considerably lessen your soreness and prevent major injuries.

This! This cannot be said enough. Cheap shoes while training to run long distance isn't going to cut it. You can do some serious damage.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love this running program. Perfect for what I need.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Can you recommend a store or certain brand?
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    On the same note, don't buy shoes thinking they'll feel better after you break them in, get shoes that feel amazing from the start also make sure you have at least a thumbs width of space between your big toe and the end of the shoe (you may need to buy half a size bigger than normal). You don't need fancy running shoes, just shoes that are comfortable. Remember 50-60 years ago runners in the Olympics didn't have thick soled fluffy shoes w/ all kinds of arch support and they were still able to run marathons. Take it slow, when you have pains that aren't just sore muscles make sure to rest and have fun with it :)

I went from being completely non-athletic two years ago, started with C25k on my iphone and now I've worked my way up to running half marathons. So far this year I've ran four half marathons and have two more planned!

good luck!
  • madacali
    madacali Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are important as everyone is saying. BUT... Are you taking rest days? I"m finishing week 4 and doing C25k every other day and no running on the weekends to let my body recover. I do other exercises like swimming, on the days I don't run.

I am in the obese category. You can do it.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Shoes will make the biggest difference. I didn't get my Brooks until after I completed the program, and I really wished I did beforehand - it's amazing what benefits the right shoes make. I had soreness, shin splits, and my ankles killed me. Now I run 3 times a week 5K-10K and am training for 1/2 and have no problems.
    It's the best investment you can make. Btw - what week are you on? just curious.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You definitely definitely need good running shoes. And make sure you stretch, warm up and cool down from your runs. Other than that? If this is your first time/first time in a long time running, particularly if you're not very active before this, you should definitely expect to be sore. The first few weeks concentrate on building your legs....the new movement will make your muscles sore, but it'll also build them. Just make sure you know the difference between sore-ness and actual something-is-wrong pain. If it's just sore, push through, (stretch, etc)...the program is working!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say don't feel bad about not being "sporty." We all need to start somewhere. Right now I'm 271 lbs and on week 7 of c25k.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    shoes from the running store are not possible.... simply outside the budget but will seek better shoes

go into a shoe store have them do the tredmill running test, and tell them you will need to come back- after payday:) but then search Amazon, and other outlets and buy the previously year and you can save $40, and get them for $75! again these will save your bones, muscle and actually last longer than the cheap ones - so do whatever you can to save.