How to lose weight when I sit all day

Options
i got a new job and now I'm on by butt on a desk all day. It's horrible my last job I was always walking around lifting things so manitaining weight
Was easier.
I get to the gym but not as much since my hours at worked doubled. I'm getting really frustrated.
Another issue of mine is I retain so much water is there anything I can do about that ?

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Stop sitting all day. Get up and do your work standing. Go for a walk during your lunch hour. Get there early and go for a walk If you want to figure out a way to exercise, you will. If you really don't want to do it, you will find excuses.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I sit all day too. Walk on your lunch hour, get up earlier to work out. It can be done.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    Options
    Can you walk or cycle all or part of the way to work?
    Can you walk at lunch?

As for retaining water ... what is your sodium intake like?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ya, when I went from being a full time yoga teacher to having a desk job, I put on a LOT of weight.

I once had a really boring desk job, so I would get up for water, then to pee, then for more water, etc. Interact with gravity!

Do walk or whatever at lunch time and go to the gym before or after work. I know that when you are working long hours, it is tough to motivate yourself to go to the gym, but I whenever I've forced myself I was happy I did.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Given that weight loss is 90% what you eat you shouldn't find it too difficult. Exercise is good for toning and fitness but not crucial to weightloss. I work at a desk, and I study. I go horseriding once a week. I eat low carb. I feel great, and losing weight is not a problem.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Park further away
    Get off the bus a stop earlier
    Eat less since your less active
    Go to the gym after work, you don't need to spend 3 hours at the gym
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you sit more, you have to eat less.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    weight loss starts in the kitchen

Eat less calories

• sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about being in a caloric deficit, but if you're concerned about exercise, just go to the gym! Just do a 30 minute circuit with little rest and you'll maximize your time there. There is no need to spend more than 30-60 minutes at the gym if you're doing an intense circuit. Hire a personal trainer (even just for one session every month or two) and get them to give you a circuit.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I sit a lot at work too. I just eat the appropriate number of calories for my daily activity level. I also force myself to do as much physical activity after work as possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    People lose weight by eating less than they burn and without exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Stand up and stretch at least every hour for 60 seconds. That works for me.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job. 9 hours a day at a computer. I get up and walk around for a minute or so often. I take the long way to the bathroom, the long way to the printer, etc. I park in the far end of the parking lot.
    Walk on your lunch break. Work out in the mornings or evenings. I work out at lunch, and if I don't, i do it after my kids go to bed. I get in an average of 15,000 steps a day.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i am in a situation where i am not working out or exercising right now but i am still losing. cut your calories and you'll see weight loss. increase water intake for water retention.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    • Walk to and/or from work, if possible.
    • Walk around a few blocks at lunchtime.
    • Use the downstairs bathroom.
    • If you don't do much walking during the week, go for more and longer walks on the weekend.
    Good luck!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    get a gymboss interval timer and set it to vibrate every 30mins or so. Then walk to the coffee machine/water cooler/wheverer and back.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Stand up and stretch at least every hour for 60 seconds. That works for me.

While that is a very good thing to do, it won't burn many calories.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you sit more, you have to eat less.

This. I also have a sedentary job. I manage to wlak 45mins a day (as part of my commute) and do an exercise DVD 5 times a week but I do think that sitting all day does make a massive amount of difference to the number of calories you can consume unfortunately.

It is also very bad for your health to sit down all day- even if you counter-act it with gym sessions. So frm that perspective, try to incorporate getting up every 45mins or so. Use the toilet on the next floor, etc.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Just have to find ways to work it in...
    Can you walk to work?
    As someone else mentioned, park as far away as possible from the building or parking garage/spot. Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
    Make it a habit to get up from your desk every 30 minutes or so and take a quick walk either around the office, around the building, etc. You can stand and do your work here and there. Research and learn about exercises you can do while sitting in your office chair... these are nice and only take a few minutes.
    Cut your calories... remember exercise is just the bonus to weight loss, the real thing that works is lower calories. If you're not burning as much you need to eat less.
    Maybe get up earlier in the morning to give yourself time for a quick workout? You can get an effective workout in just 20 or 30 minutes. Take a walk, go for a run, get on an elliptical, do a DVD at home.
    Do you have time during your lunch hour to get a quick workout at a local gym? Something close to your office?
    There are a lot of ways you can work it into your day/evening... you just have to want to do it.