Coffee

Options
i was a double double guy. This was years ago. My friend would occasionally bring over an extra large triple triple....and id always drink it down! Coffee was always been part of my daily diet. The last few years, I've just taken it black. No sugar...no milk...just coffee. Zero calories. I'd drink 5 or 6 cups a day....until last week.

My doctor told me to try reducing my coffee intake because it could be part of the stomach problem i was having. So. I quit cold turkey. It's only been a week...and a client did buy me coffee the other day so i drank it. But besides that....zero coffee. Here's what I found

I'm sleeping like a rock...and when I'm tired, it's no time before I'm REALLY tired and have to sleep. I'm now getting 8.5 hrs of sleep every night.

My stomach acid problem has greatly improved.

I had one coffee....and it actually made me feel high from th caffine. I was buzzing. Crazy.

Not sure how long this will last. I've moved onto different teas, but just the tea. No milk or sweetener.

Has anyone else kicked the coffee habit?

Replies

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Wow, did you feel like death? I have tried to kick my habit and it's left me feeling like my head might explode and even nauseous.

I've cut down from 8 a day to about 3 a day.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did but recently took it back up because I am consulting on a pretty rigid schedule. You do sleep alot better - when I was ill last week had none for three days and I'll bet i went through the withdrawals that @insaneXgirl talked about - but yeah - stay off it if you can - it's not worth it. I only drink a double espresso no sugar little cream in the morning.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I tried to stop because of stomach issues but my headaches and body aches were so bad from withdrawal! I went back to coffee but drink it black and im perfect now. It was the dairy and sugar that made me sick. Black coffee is fine for me, and in the evenings i switch to decaf
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have 'almost' quit before. Since it saves me so many calories, I likely will never quit. But your new sleep pattern sounds wonderful! :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer before a backpacking trip. I didn't want to bother with the weight of the coffee or the time to make it, so I kicked it. Weaned myself over about a week and a half.

Started again shortly after I got back as I love coffee.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I can drink an espresso at midnight and still sleep like a rock.. lol
    Its the swedish in me.haha
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was up to 4-5 cups a day last year, so I quite cold turkey as well. I went a few months without any, the first few weeks were the worst. After some time I added a cup to my diet. I didn't really quite for the calories as I mostly drink black coffee without any additives. But I felt like my daily intake was getting a bit much so...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Man, if I don't have my coffee I'll get fired. I'm too sluggish.
  • bradley345
    bradley345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I reduced the amount of coffee cups from 5 to 2 every day because I faced some stomach problems. But still can't help drinking coffee before going to sleep:)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else kicked the coffee habit?

No, and I don't plan to. I <3 coffee! That said, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better staying away from it.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I tried switching to green tea for a few months and decided to go back to coffee -- I don't have any health problems from it, and in fact I feel better drinking coffee than without it.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I quit then took it up lately but just one cup a day. Quit and now my stomach is in bits.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The most I have done is reduce from hardcore filter to a high quality instant, 3 or 4 a day. I can trick myself for one day with tea, but any more than that and I feel very sorry for myself and deprived. I use all my willpower staying under calories. I have none left for quitting coffee on top of that. It does not seem like the worst kind of vice.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I reduced the amount from several a day years ago to 2 a day if that ciz it was causing heart palpitations. I'd give it up if I could get some sleep although I love my coffee. Be careful you're not drinking caffeinated tea that will keep you up also. Glad you're feeling much better☺
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    More power to ya my friend. I'm downing an XL from Dunkin as I type. I'm sure you did feel terrible at first but I'm glad your sleep and stomach issues have improved. I really should at least limit my coffee intake, but I love it so so so much.
  • PhilipHuml
    PhilipHuml Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. No way am I giving it up.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I stopped for a couple of years but now have it maybe 1-3x/week, only one cup on a given day. Coffee is one of those things that either your body love it or hates it, but either way 5-6 cups/day is a pretty serious habit! :D It sounds to me like you are really only having positive effects from giving it up so that's awesome! You could likely just have one every once in a while and be fine, just take it a day at a time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have 16 oz a day. I do not function withouth. I did have to quit for a few months while ulcer healed. those were unpleastant months for those who had to be around me

drinking too much of anything can be bad. when allowable, moderation is always key
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have just one cup a day and none of the problems you mentioned. If I had those symptoms, I'd quit for sure! Congrats.
  • brianengland
    brianengland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! Coffee isn't the cause of my issues...acid reflux and carrying too much weight around my middle is really what is at fault. Coffee just is an irritant and getting rid of it has made a difference. I miss it, though! Biggest thing for me is that I'm getting rid of one more crutch that I was using to get me through the day. Logging my diet on here is just part of me taking control and getting myself back in shape. No excuses and no more crutches.