Need More Calories!!!

Options
I just started eating healthier. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Oats and fruits for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch, and usually meat and salad and veggies for dinner, with snacks in between and after dinner. I'm still only averaging around 1100 calories a day no matter what I do. My goal is 2000 calories. How can I get some more (healthy) calories into my day without gouging on unhealthy foods?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Fats are the best bang for your buck in terms of calories per gram with over twice as many calories per gram as carbs or proteins.

You could also fit in a dessert or something, "healthy" is eating the majority of your foods from nutritious sources, but fitting in the things you like once in a while, and it looks like you have the nutritious part down.
  • amnesia503
    amnesia503 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fats are the best bang for your buck in terms of calories per gram with over twice as many calories per gram as carbs or proteins.

You could also fit in a dessert or something, "healthy" is eating the majority of your foods from nutritious sources, but fitting in the things you like once in a while, and it looks like you have the nutritious part down.

What would you suggest for desserts?
    More foods to eat with good fats?

• greengirl4
    greengirl4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why not just increase your portion sizes? If you're only eating 1100 calories, your portions can't be anywhere near big enough.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    amnesia503 wrote: »

What would you suggest for desserts?
    More foods to eat with good fats?

Desserts - anything you like to eat, just watch out for stuff with trans fat.

Try this thread for some more ideas.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    greengirl4 wrote: »
    Why not just increase your portion sizes? If you're only eating 1100 calories, your portions can't be anywhere near big enough.

That's what I was thinking.

Or replace light options with full flavour. Lite milk for full cream etc

I honestly can't imagine how small the OPs portions are to have 3 meals, 2-3 snacks and only make it to 1100.

Maybe you aren't logging accurately. Weighing your foods? Even oils used to cook?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You sound like you've fallen in to the low fat trap. Bad idea for health and for meeting your calorie goals. Add healthy fats to all your meals - nut butter or nuts/seeds, oils (olive, coconut), avo, oily fish, fattier meat, butter, full fat dairy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

Larger portions in general
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You sound like you've fallen in to the low fat trap. Bad idea for health and for meeting your calorie goals. Add healthy fats to all your meals - nut butter or nuts/seeds, oils (olive, coconut), avo, oily fish, fattier meat, butter, full fat dairy

This. I don't know why so many people are terrified of fat. I had a good 120 grams today and feel fantastic.
  • amnesia503
    amnesia503 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I will be trying to log more carefully. Don't have a scale, can't afford one ATM, but will be increasing portion sizes and eating more full flavor foods higher in fats. Thank you!!!