Red face from exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. However, it has reduced as my fitness level has increased. It used to happen every time I would run, now it only happens if its really hot out when I run.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another fair haired, fair skinned person here and, yes, I get the same thing. I haven't found anything to make it go away, I just give myself about 30 minutes or so after working out before I have to go anywhere where it may matter.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get red, too, on my cheeks and under my chin. I have a really nice yellow concealer by Clinique that hides the redness (I put it on afterward--I wipe sweat off my face with a towel the whole time I work out, so the concealer would just come off). But, they discontinued it and made a yellow primer in its place, which doesn't really work. So, I found that NYX has concealers in yellow and green to hide redness. I have to order one from Ulta when I run out of the Clinique one.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I guess I’m confused here. Why would you be embarrassed when people see you with a post workout flush? I tend to sweat for as much as an hour after a good workout (and like you, even a cold shower doesn’t fully work). So, I do my workouts and leave enough time to “cool down” after and then I shower. Takes some planning, but if it really bothers you, then plan you must.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I guess I’m confused here. Why would you be embarrassed when people see you with a post workout flush?

They have no idea that your face is tomato-red because of a workout and think you might be having a heart attack or something. I, too, have had strangers offer to get me medical assistance. I even had an instructor come up to me in the middle of class and (quietly, politely) suggest that maybe I should dial back the intensity. I think she thought I was going to die in her class, and that probably would have made her feel bad :)

Also like some of the previous posters, my glowing crimson face issues went away after I got more fit. It barely ever happens anymore, now that I'm 2+ years into doing 6-ish hours of cardio per week. I forget when it stopped happening, though.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've been either "jogging" (I can honestly WALK faster than I jog!), or riding my bike, during my 30 minute lunch break. I come back so red, but that just proves that I'm out doing what I can to reach my goal. I consider it a badge of honor, I wear it proudly. However, everyone that I come into contact with, knows that I've been working on this since November so it's never an issue. If anyone at your job asks, just tell them you're working out at lunch. They'll get used to it AND you might find them cheering you on. My people ask if I'm ok if I didn't work out at lunch!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I guess I’m confused here. Why would you be embarrassed when people see you with a post workout flush?

When you're a pale blonde or a redhead, that post workout flush look seriously like you're having a cardiac emergency or something.

Also, it might be a gender thing. I go running with my brother on occasion. He's a true redhead and gets even redder than I do. He's also significantly overweight and at risk for an actual heart attack, but he's never had anyone ask him if he's OK. I get asked on the regular - I've even had a police officer pull his patrol car over to check.

I guess it's not ladylike to get a red face. :flushed:

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I offended anyone. I was responding to the question as an after the fact, cool down thing. I can definitely sympathize with having your workouts interrupted to check on you. That would bother me, too.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Cool wet towel applied to the wet areas directly after your workout, drink lots of water before, during, and after your workout, and avoid mirrors ;)
    -Someone who turns red-purple
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't think you offended anyone, you asked a legitimate question - why is it embarrassing for people to see the after-effects of your workout. The answer, basically, is that people get ****ing weird about it.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think we would all love to help the OP find a solution for her and our own post workout problem. Sadly, having worked out my entire life I have yet to find a solution. I do get a little flushed for awhile after a workout and take a cold shower for as long as I can, depending on work schedule etc., I will then spend about another hour or more sweating profusely for about an hour. I just keep a small towel around to wipe my head, face and arms until the body returns to normal.

Our workouts all cause our core body temperatures to rise and environmental conditions can make it worse. For me when I ride during the winter, I use layers, as I begin to warm up I take a layer off. By the time I am done, I can be down to just a base and wind breaking layer, depending on weather/wind conditions. I'll still sweat after my shower, just not as long or as obvious. In the summer months with sun and humidity hot and high even after a nice long shower I'll sweat for 2 or more hours until my body cools down again.

For some that I ride with a shower seems to be enough to get them back to normal. Everyone is different, in every way possible. In time your body may adjust and it'll be less noticeable or it may not. In either case you'll be just fine.

Good Luck!
  • AuburnL
    AuburnL Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I offended anyone. I was responding to the question as an after the fact, cool down thing. I can definitely sympathize with having your workouts interrupted to check on you. That would bother me, too.

None taken. But I had to laugh at the idea that it was a post work out "glow". Hardly! lol. actually don't get embarrassed about it anymore when exercising. But when I'm post shower in work clothes and still look like I have a horrible sunburn or something it's another story. It just doesn't look professional and frankly, women are judged much much more on their appearance in professional settings (and well, in general) then men.

Thanks for the commiseration everyone! I will just warm my colleagues and try to avoid other meetings right after lunch those two days when I can I guess. Definitely not letting it stop me.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am not fair skinned at all and I have the same problem, so I do not necessarily think it is a "fair skin" thing. It takes a good hour for the red in my face to subside, even with a cool shower/towel.

If anyone looks at me funny, I explain that I just worked out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I am not fair skinned at all and I have the same problem, so I do not necessarily think it is a "fair skin" thing. It takes a good hour for the red in my face to subside, even with a cool shower/towel.

If anyone looks at me funny, I explain that I just worked out.

as I mentioned earlier, me too.
    people ask you if you are ok when you are dark haired and olive toned
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question for those who experienced less red face as fitness improves. Recently I've been noticing that I'm getting less red, but more sweaty. Is this a normal good thing that shows I'm getting healthier? or is it more because the humidity doesn't drop below 60% anymore?
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    resurrecting an old thread, but I have a question for those who experienced less red face as fitness improves. Recently I've been noticing that I'm getting less red, but more sweaty. Is this a normal good thing that shows I'm getting healthier? or is it more because the humidity doesn't drop below 60% anymore?

I can't answer your question - because I don't know. But, just wanted to say that I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm still red - but it's not as red as before and I seem to be sweating more during my work out now - but less afterwards (it used to be that I would continue to sweat up to about half an hour afterwards - now that's stopped by the time I come out of the shower). I'm just guessing that it's my body's way of adapting to the running I'm now making it do.

Adding to the class comments above - I once did a spin class with a new instructor whilst rather sunburnt. The red from that added to by the red from exercise resulted in an almost purple face! He didn't comment - but watch me throughout the whole class, and looked visibly relieved when I hopped off the bike at the end of the class.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I get super red, too. In fact, I was out running yesterday and people were staring because I always look like I'm going to pass out. So actually, they're probably more worried about you than anything. Just give them a smile and be on your way.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I also turn so red people ask if I am ok. And it lasts for quite some time afterwards, sometimes a cool shower helps but not much. Unfortunately I just have to live with it until fades away.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »

Yes I have noticed this. I'm a redhead who used to go bright red but as you get fitter I'm sure it lessens and you sweat more instead. I still flush during intense cardio but in the past it would be a lot worse. I think as your body gets used to the exercise it becomes more efficient at cooling. But it's a difficult one to prove!