OK to run daily?

Options
I wrote here a while back about not being able to run due to shin spleens. However, after having walked for hours every day for 12 weeks and doung lots of stretching the pain went away and I can now run for about 12minutes straight. This makes me extremely happy as I love running and really want to run a 5k (hopefully by the end of summer).
When I run now my legs get tired but there is no pain and I feel great the next day. I only run every other day as not to overdo it but have been wondering whether it's ok to run every day as long ad I'm not in serious pain?

Replies

• Diondk
    Diondk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am also running every day, but i do interval training. if you start having pain again you should stop for a day or two.

• Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give it a try!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Many people run everyday. I would suggest working up to it though. Also don't do the same workout everyday, vary the distance, speed, hills vs flat, etc. Most running injuries are overuse injuries, from the same repetitive motion.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Also, a good guideline is to increase one variable at a time: distance, frequency, intensity. So add in one day of running at a time--like, add in one extra day of running one week and make your runs a little shorter; the next week bring your runs back up to 12 minutes. If that works and you want to add another day, repeat.

Make sure you are still giving yourself rest every now and then, and doing other exercises so you don't re-develop muscle imbalances. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    I only run every other day as not to overdo it but have been wondering whether it's ok to run every day as long ad I'm not in serious pain?

I think it's worth thinking about your objectives, and how best to achieve them, rather than an activity based approach. Seven by 12 minutes or 4 by 20 minutes will have different outcomes.

Since your aspiration is 5K, then I'd suggest rather than running every day then a 5K training plan for 3-4 days per week will get your there fairly quickly. Your's already about 3 weeks into a Couch to 5K plan, so the transition should work fairly easily.

From a practical perspective, you'll also get more benefit from your time commitment.

Also, if you want to train every day, then complement the running with something else; cycling, swimming, resistance training.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just started running and i run most days. on the days i do not run, i go for very long walks
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It might be and it might not be too much in time but it almost certainly is too much right now. Get to 4 times a week running and stay there for 6 months or so. You will improve much better that way than doing too much right now.

As for later, some people can run everyday and some can't. It depends on your individual biomechanics, muscle, tendon, ligament, and bone strength, and your ability to guage daily effort and recovery. In time, try it and see how you respond. If it doesn't work then crosstrain with something else on the non-running days.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Since you've suffered from shin splints before, I'd be very cautious about running every day. As others suggested, you'd probably benefit from a 3-4 days a week running plan. Then, cross-train on the other days.

• bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Im a bigger guy. Running every day was starting to wear wear me down. Ive moved to the elliptical for some days and I bike some days. It seems to take a lot of the pounding off my legs.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Rest day is not taking a break from your training. Its part of your training. Rest days are important to optimal improvement. See my hero Hal Higdon on google.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Having specific goals for your exercises will help you get there

I like a variety of HIIT training using sprinting/jogging or running and then going slow on an elliptical.

A casual run is good for burning calories but does not increase your VO2 Max or cardio vascular efficiency, where you would see your resting heart rate become gradually lower.

Exercise needs to be fun or we quit. If it hurts, stop doing it. The words of my Dr.

:)

So much is genetics too. My body type adds muscle easily and holds on to fat with a vengeance.

Good luck teaching your fitness goals!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I decided to start running everyday about a month ago and my legs have been hurting a little, but that is probably due to the massive increase of steps at work (easily doubled) in the last few weeks. I started with a 1/2 mile run everyday and two longer runs (about 2 miles) during the week, and I am now working on 3/4 of mile everyday with 2 longer runs during the week. My goal is to run a mile everyday and be able to run a 5k or 10k without needing to stop a couple of times a week. I will work on the 3/4 mile everyday for several more weeks before I try to go to a mile everyday, and hope to be able to do a 10k around mid-September. I try to run on softer services like grass and change up the routes to help prevent injuries.

I think if you take it slow and listen to your body you will be able to decide if you are able to run everyday without causing overuse injuries.
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice. Very much appreciated. I'm taking rest days inbetween every run now and doing some other type of training on those days.