Morning Struggle

Options
My biggest problem is waking up in the morning and eating breakfast i know this is an important meal but i find it a struggle i can go way into the afternoon without eating, im doing better now im dieting but still find breakfast the hardest meal ov the day, anyone else have this problem or anyone got any tips

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You've got to find a plan that is realistic for you. If breakfast doesn't suit you, don't have breakfast. Listen to your body. As long as you're eating a well balanced diet and getting plenty of nutrients it will keep you healthy regardless of what time of day you eat them.

I'm not a breakfast eater, generally. Sometimes I skip it, sometimes I have a light snack about 11am. I'm losing weight fine and I'm healthy.

They advise breakfast for dieters so you don't get so hungry you overeat later, but if that's not how your body works, no need to force it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with skipping breakfast if you don't want it. Plenty of people do, I never used to eat breakfast. Don't force yourself to eat if you don't want to.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast then don't eat breakfast. Just make sure your eating correctly overall throughout your day. Food is not bad, food is nutrition.
  • leonhaines
    leonhaines Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome..thanks all... i was really under the impression that this was the most important meal and 1 that shouldn be missed, thanks for advice.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I skip it almost everyday. That's calories I can enjoy later in the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't usually skip it because I can't focus in the morning if I do, but not everyone's eating habits are the same.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Most mornings breakfast is nothing more than a large cup of coffee. Because most mornings that's all I want.

Somedays I wake up hungry and I eat bacon :)

As long as I stick to my calories for the day I lose fine either way. It'll be the same for you.
  • GTJonny
    GTJonny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the first 25 years of my life, I forced myself to eat breakfast because I was told the same myth, and I changed after researching the topic for myself.

I have abstained from breakfast almost every day for the last year (I still eat breakfast if I feel I need it, like when I'm sick or hungover or just very hungry) and my metabolism hasn't been affected. Based on weight change, my TDEE is around 3k, which is higher than most calculators would suggest for a 6'0" male with a desk job. Short periods of not eating (i.e. 24 hours or less) will not impact your health or metabolism (although there is some evidence that women are more susceptible to hormonal changes due to fasting.) If you're very interested in the science behind this topic, I suggest googling "intermittent fasting" or picking up Eat. Stop. Eat. by Brad Pilon. I personally don't take advice from strangers on the internet without reading some of the evidence for myself!

That said, if you skip breakfast and become hungry at 10am and satisfy that hunger with a snickers bar and a coke, you are not going to come out ahead. If you are conscientious about maintaining a healthy diet with highly satiating foods, you can feel free to eat on whatever schedule suits you.

Ultimately, the only rule of dieting is that eating more calories than your TDEE results in weight gain, while eating fewer results in weight loss. All other "diet tricks" exist to help you meet your calorie goals while exhausting as little willpower as possible, so you should experiment and find the ones that work best for you.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in forcing yourself to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack just because a computer program tells you too. It's simple... eat when you feel hungry, stop eating when you begin to feel full. We're programmed for a lot of silly things like eating certain foods at certain times, cleaning your plate, etc. Hell when I went to high school pulling the fire alarm would get you suspended.. but what if there was a fire? lol
  • leonhaines
    Options
    It seems so obvious now to be honest, but im very new to all this and everyone got theyre own success stories and all i read is breakfast snack lunch snack dinner etc i find it so difficult to keep up this regime, its nice to know i havnt and i can eat when i need to rather than being told when. Thanks again.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    leonhaines wrote: »
    It seems so obvious now to be honest, but im very new to all this and everyone got theyre own success stories and all i read is breakfast snack lunch snack dinner etc i find it so difficult to keep up this regime, its nice to know i havnt and i can eat when i need to rather than being told when. Thanks again.

Number of meals and meal timing is pretty much irrelevant. Eat to a schedule that suits you! If that's means 10 meals, eat 10 meals. If it means 1,eat one. I don't have time to eat that many times - I'd prefer to eat fewer meals, and sit down to eat properly instead of shovelling food down in a few rushed minutes because someone said I needed to eat every 2 hours and 3 minutes.

I personally feel more alert without breakfast first thing - i usually just have coffee with coconut oil and gelatin early, then eat around 11. I prefer to save my calories for later in the day/night.
  • leonhaines
    Options
    Yes makes perfect sense,,,, ive also heard about coconut oil yet to try it thou i must remember to pick that up
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    leonhaines wrote: »
    Yes makes perfect sense,,,, ive also heard about coconut oil yet to try it thou i must remember to pick that up

Coconut oil isn't magical.... I use it because I like it. I cook with it because you can heat it to high heat unlike olive oil...