Ewwww! Loose skin!

Options
I was up to nearly 170 lbs. when my ideal weight is 110. I'm now 143, and as I was using my mouse, I realized that my arm skin is just hanging down. I haven't lost weight very quickly - only 27 pounds since November, which is less than a pound a week. How could this happen? And what can I do about it other than surgery?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Patience it can take up to two years for your skin to retract fully. The speed you lose bears no relation to have much loose skin you'd have. It just means it may be less noticeable as it could give it more time to retract with your weightless
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You may see an improvement with time, moisturising may help appearance.

Change your parents to get better genetics. *

Lose weight when you were younger and your skin was more elastic. *

Don't allow yourself to get 60lbs overweight. *

* - These options may require access to a time machine or be impossible.

I'm younger, had weight less to lose, lost it slowly, do a lot of strength training and still have some loose skin. Better than being fat and unhealthy though.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue on my tummy (after having a baby)... I'm down to my ideal weight which is 110, from 145 in November. I would love to say the skin has completely retracted, but it hasn't. However, it has much improved through strength training and core exercises, so maybe for your arms doing regular weight exercises would help (I do mine at home for 30 min 4x a week so nothing too major). Even though the skin isn't what it used to be, I'm much happier now I've lost the weight :) Hope that helps
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    The skin will firm up and bounce back after a little while. It took me close to two years with a lot of skin firming cream, loofah and strenghtening exercises. I still have some here and there but it's much less than it was a year ago. Just be patient.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm younger, had weight less to lose, lost it slowly, do a lot of strength training and still have some loose skin. Better than being fat and unhealthy though.

Love this Sijomial!

I was overweight all of my life and gained most of it during my teenage years...My skin is shot. I've lost almost 30kg this time around and 40kg in total, 97kg --> 57kg. I have alot of loose skin on my front torso. Thus I had my breasts lifted in October and my abs / tummy will be done next Tuesday. Makes running and other sports so much nicer. I have accepted my inner upper arms and thighs....and the rest is OK. Hoping they will look a little better with time.

Even if that was not an option for whatever reason, I totally agree with: Better than being fat and unhealthy though
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f, how was the breast lift? I've been considering it.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Local anesthetic, done in the practice, in in the early morning, discharged in the late afternoon....weekly checks for about a month. Off work for a week, off exercise for 6-7 weeks. Not many Dr. do local anesthetic on this procedure, but for me it was fine as I only had skin removed. Whenever I felt anything, I just told him and he injected a bit more. The side effects of being put under are not to be underestimated. My tummy / ab operation will also be done in the practice, but with spinal anesthesia and I have to stay overnight.

I have a great no nonsense plastic surgeon. who does beautiful stitching and I'm very happy with the results. I only had them lifted (horizontal and vertical cut as well as a moved nipple), no implants. They aren't perfect, but look very natural. The pain was no big deal and as soon as the stitches came out, I felt alot better. The scars are flat lines and disappearing nicely. I use bi-oil on them twice a day. Would do it again in a second and not just for the looks. Running, jumping, bras, clothes...everything is so much easier and pain free.

In preparation for both surgeries I have made sure, I trained my core and my stamina and was healthy, fit and strong before the procedure. I did this again for the operation on this coming Tuesday. I'm hoping for the same kind of result on my abs and tummy ;-). Though the cuts are longer, the doc said the healing time would be the same, I would probably be a bit more immobile in the first week though and off work for 3 weeks.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had my first baby when I was 33. My stomach skin bounced right back. (I've always had a flat stomach, even being obese).

I had my second baby when I was 40.

Yeah... no stomach skin bouncing right back.

Atypicalsmith, you and I? We're of a certain age. We might have SOME skin shrinking, but I'm not holding out much hope. Collagen and older people aren't friends.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I had my first baby when I was 33. My stomach skin bounced right back. (I've always had a flat stomach, even being obese).

I had my second baby when I was 40.

Yeah... no stomach skin bouncing right back.

Atypicalsmith, you and I? We're of a certain age. We might have SOME skin shrinking, but I'm not holding out much hope. Collagen and older people aren't friends.

Yep you've got that right!!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh!!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Lost 50kg so far. So far I have only noticed the smallest amount of lose skin. On my arms, inner thigh and stomach.

Guess I dodged a bullet. I'll just fill it in with muscles. Giant six pack and guns that can lift small cars.

But in the end I would much prefer some lose skin that can be chopped off with surgery if needed than 50-60kg of fat and dying at 47 from high blood pressure and a heart attack.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a lot of weight three years ago, but found I had a similar problem. I had some laser treatments, but they didn't do much. However, I continued with my regular workout schedule and I noticed in the last month that there's been a lot of improvement.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Middle age Bat wings here as well, I'm hoping they tighten up enough to be confident enough to wear sleeveless tops again. I bought a small set of hand weights to use and it does seem to help.

I downloaded "fitness buddy" app for my iPhone to give me basic lifts to do
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the skin doesn't really seem to bounce back until most of the excess fat in the area has been lost. My skin seems to go in spurts, so I get to have a panic attack about how everything isn't shrinking and then like 6wks later it is suddenly not an issue anymore.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about it as well. Anyone care to post some pics-I want to know what to expect. I kno wI will have it on my stomach, and underarms. I can adjust to it if I am prepared better to know it most likely coming lol
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The skin can slowly shrink over 2 to 3 years
    Good clinics also recommend to wait with skin removal 2 years after weight loss. This because this very reason. To give the skin time to shrink.
    How much? Nobodies knows, Its al about genetics, age, how long and how much overweight.

Losing fast or slow has nothing to do with it. Only when you lose your weight slower your skin tend to keep up with the weight loss. But still the fact remains that it can up to 2 or 3 years to shrink.

For most of us who had a lot of weight to lose, there will be lose skin. But better than overweight and unhealthier i would say.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    When you are older and have been overweight for a long time your skin has lost the elasticity and it will not go back to normal. It happenend to me.
  • flumi_f
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I'm wondering about it as well. Anyone care to post some pics-I want to know what to expect. I kno wI will have it on my stomach, and underarms. I can adjust to it if I am prepared better to know it most likely coming lol

Google weight loss loose skin and you will find them. They come in all shapes and sizes, because everyone carries their weight differently and their genetics and history of obesity is unique. I couldn't find one pic, that I could say, 'that is about what I look like'.