Options
ricmines
ricmines Posts: 26 Member
Is it normal to throw up on leg day?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Maxing out one's heart rate can cause nausea or vomiting, but it's not a normal part of leg day for most.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would be normal per say. I don't think you should expect to throw up every leg day. It sounds like maybe you pushed yourself too hard and your body reacted. Did you eat before lifting?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I've come close on a couple occasions.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you are vomiting, you are pushing yourself too hard. Take a step back and re-evaluate.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's more common than you would think and it is good sign you gave it your all. I've come close a few times and I've known others who have. It happens.

Personally, I have nothing to prove to anyone so I try to avoid going that far. Others may have more extreme attitudes toward training and from what I've learned that's okay.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It's not "normal", however, it happens frequently.

When I was in the army, PT'ing someone until they puked was a form of punishment. We didn't do that during normal PT.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I feel nauseous but have never actually vomited!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If it happened just once, then next time try to remember the early signs and not push yourself to that extreme. If it happens everytime you have leg day, then either something is really wrong with your routine/weight/reps or you need to talk to a dr.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - You are pregnant.
    Congrats!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    Who is the father?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a few times, usually when I push myself past the limit
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    is it normal? no
    does it happen? yes
    PT in ROTC, I barfed, but that was rather expected and I wasn't alone (just did rotc, never joined)
  • ricmines
    Options
    I'm pushing myself too hard, or i'm pregnant either one is hood news. I'll try reevaluation dome things thanx guys!
  • ricmines
    Options
    gotta love auto correct
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    ricmines wrote: »

Happens to me all the time. An intense session can cause many short-term physiological reactions. On heavy lifts (especially leg press), I’ll get swimmers in my eyes. I’ve emptied my bowels during a competitive 2 mile race. And, nausea is a normal part of any tough crossfit WODs when I’m often looking for a chalk bucket afterward, just in case.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A good, but long read, on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4027831/

Summary:

Nausea and vomiting are relatively frequent GI symptoms in athletes, especially those performing endurance sport disciplines. In the majority of the cases they are particular physiological reactions to strenuous exercise and might be alleviated by proper hydration. However, there are cases of persistent nausea and vomiting caused by somatic diseases which sometimes demand expanded diagnostics and treatment.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    On Tuesday I put a trash bucket inside the squat rack because I was sure I was going to puke. I ended up cutting my workout 2 sets short luckily so it didn't happen, but I'm sure it would have if I had continued.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as someone said- is it "normal" it's a normal reaction to over exertion yes.

But you probably should take a step back and re-evaluate. there isn't any reason anyone should be training that hard. I did in college- I did in high school and occasionally I've hit that (usually with running sessions) now as an adult- but I never make it a point to- and I try hard not to- but. it happens. yes.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ricmines wrote: »
    Cool, too many people throw up thinking about leg day, and skip it.