Conflicting exercise advice. Please help?

Options
I am 225 lb (103 kg) and 160 cm (5'4 ft) and I want to start going to the gym again after almost 6 months of no activity whatsoever.

During my whole life, I have been given conflicting advice. Some people tell me I have to do mostly cardio and some weights to start off (to initially start losing some fat) and some people tell me I have to do mostly weights and some cardio (to build muscle to burn the fat). I have also been told to the equal parts cardio and weights. Mind you, these are advice I have gotten from instructors and normal, everyday people, so I don't know WHO can advice me the best.

I really need your opinions because I am afraid to go to the gym and do the wrong thing.

Thank you!

Replies

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    You can do a workout at home. I recommend 30 Day Shred its cardio, strength and abs together. You can find it on youtube. Most people do 10 days level 1, 10 days level 2 and 10 days level 3. I was 95kg in January. Started eating right in March and weighed 91kg. Now I'm down to 78kg. I'm on day 11 of 30 day shred. Doing great and seeing results. I started out walking and built up from there. Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First of all, to loose weight you do not have to exercise at all... your weight loss starts in the kitchen..

Now, if you want to add exercise and fitness as a part of your new everyday routine for a healthly lifestyle, then jump in...

The way you workout is totally up to you and once you get started (there is no one size fits all regime), you will be changing things up pretty quickly.. So what you can do is start lifting (highly recommended) and some cardio.. Or start with cardio (like I did) and move into weights as you get a bit fitter from doing cardio (getting your heart, lungs and muscles in some sort of shape)..

You should research some programs and start there.. It is not an all or nothing.. You can get started in what you would like to do and create a short goal and then tweak and modify it as you see "fit"...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you, and do something you like. Weights are advised because they help you to maintain lean body mass/muscle as you lose weight, so that more of the weight lost will be fat. Any exercise that you do will help you to burn more calories, which will help you to create a larger calorie deficit to lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to create the calorie deficit in the first place, which can be done by diet alone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    During my whole life, I have been given conflicting advice.

You need to think about what your own objectives are, and be clear about them with the individual giving advice, and equally it's worth understanding their objectives and how they're working towards them. It's very likely most people will bias advice towards their own preferences as well.

Personally, assuming that you've got a fairly generic objective to lose weight and improve your figure, then a balance of CV work and resistance work will help you with that. As your objectives evolve you'll want to bias one way or another.

It's also worht noting that when people talk about cardio or weights you clarify what they're on about. Personally I wouldn't advocate doing any CV work on a machine in a gym, I'd always veer towards going outside into the real world and enjoying the experience, rather than have to starte at a blank wall whilst hating the machine.

Advice from me will inevitably be biased towards endurance running and cycling, as that's what I prefer doing.

The main thing for weight loss is a calorie deficit anyway, training has other benefits

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Listen to the American College of Sports Medicine

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2011/07000/Quantity_and_Quality_of_Exercise_for_Developing.26.aspx

The ACSM recommends that most adults engage in moderate-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥30 min·d−1 on ≥5 d·wk−1 for a total of ≥150 min·wk−1, vigorous-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise training for ≥20 min·d−1 on ≥3 d·wk−1 (≥75 min·wk−1), or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity exercise to achieve a total energy expenditure of ≥500-1000 MET·min·wk−1.

On 2-3 d·wk−1, adults should also perform resistance exercises for each of the major muscle groups, and neuromotor exercise involving balance, agility, and coordination. Crucial to maintaining joint range of movement, completing a series of flexibility exercises for each the major muscle-tendon groups (a total of 60 s per exercise) on ≥2 d·wk−1 is recommended.

The exercise program should be modified according to an individual's habitual physical activity, physical function, health status, exercise responses, and stated goals.

Adults who are unable or unwilling to meet the exercise targets outlined here still can benefit from engaging in amounts of exercise less than recommended. In addition to exercising regularly, there are health benefits in concurrently reducing total time engaged in sedentary pursuits and also by interspersing frequent, short bouts of standing and physical activity between periods of sedentary activity, even in physically active adults.

So that's at least 30 mins of moderate cardio, five days a week. Or you can mix in 20 mins of more vigorous cardio some days. Plus 2-3 days of strength training. And some yoga or something like that when you can.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    What are your goals ?

If all you want to do is lose weight... then a calorie deficit is all you need

If you want to help create a healthier lifestyle, then I would look at adding weights and cardio. Some people don't like the gym, that's fine but it will help to lift some heavy things and the chances of you getting bulky are the same as watching the devil skate to work

Some people hate cardio but it's good for overall health and fitness, plus it can help with the deficit and give you a chance to eat some extra foods you enjoy. Helps keep many people on the wagon

If you were me... do all 3 and start yesterday. You don't need to go overboard .. just give it a try for 3-6 months

Take measurements, photos and try and step on the scale the same day and same time every week
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Alyssa, it depends on your goals and preferences.

Both weight lifting/strength training and cardiovascular activities have value. If people are telling you one thing or another they are only echoing their own preferences, if they have not first identified you goals.

In general a good program might include some strength training for strength and muscle, bone health. A good program might also include cardio for overall functional cardio capacity.

But it depends much more on what you want and like.
    You can't be doing a wrong program if you are doing a program.
    The best program is the one you do.

Go have fun. Identify what you want. Do it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am 225 lb (103 kg) and 160 cm (5'4 ft) and I want to start going to the gym again after almost 6 months of no activity whatsoever.

During my whole life, I have been given conflicting advice. Some people tell me I have to do mostly cardio and some weights to start off (to initially start losing some fat) and some people tell me I have to do mostly weights and some cardio (to build muscle to burn the fat). I have also been told to the equal parts cardio and weights. Mind you, these are advice I have gotten from instructors and normal, everyday people, so I don't know WHO can advice me the best.

I really need your opinions because I am afraid to go to the gym and do the wrong thing.

Thank you!

The only way for any exercise to be effective, is for you to actually do it :) So, find something that keeps you active and you enjoy. Forget rules, advice or whatever other people are doing. What can you see yourself doing for the next months, consistently, several times per week? Is it walking, running, swimming, dancing, going to the gym, usign the bicycle everywhere, finding a class? Figure out what you like, and what you will do without looking at it as a chore (or what looks the least unpleasant if everything feels like a chore) and do this. If you get into the habit of exercising and then decide to set specific fitness goals, then worry about how to get to these goals.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Thank you!

What you have to do is consume less calories!

Cardio is good for general health and to burn calories.

Weight training is good for muscle building, sculpting, and toning.

But again, the main thing for weight loss is to consume less calories.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    First of all, to loose weight you do not have to exercise at all... your weight loss starts in the kitchen..

Now, if you want to add exercise and fitness as a part of your new everyday routine for a healthly lifestyle, then jump in...

The way you workout is totally up to you and once you get started (there is no one size fits all regime), you will be changing things up pretty quickly.. So what you can do is start lifting (highly recommended) and some cardio.. Or start with cardio (like I did) and move into weights as you get a bit fitter from doing cardio (getting your heart, lungs and muscles in some sort of shape)..

You should research some programs and start there.. It is not an all or nothing.. You can get started in what you would like to do and create a short goal and then tweak and modify it as you see "fit"...

The first highlighted part is the initial key to your success.

After that it is totally up to you. If you like to walk, ride a bike or elliptical start slow and work up. If you don't know try as many as you have access to. Once you find it stick with it and find a program that will help you improve your cardio fitness. Want to try strength training and not sure where to start look into various body weight programs. No equipment or gym membership required. If you like the results go on to a more advanced body weight program or look into finding a gym with free weights and start a program like Strong Curves or StrongLifts 5x5. There are just to many to list.

Which is why I highlighted the second part. Fitness is a fluid process for everybody. Start small and let it grow from there.

Good Luck!