Now what? New goals?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
With my clean bill of health this week, I've only got 1 goal left - make my original GW of 140#. Since I discovered I've lost an inch, the highest weight for me to be "healthy" is 132# so 140# is still overweight and I'll still get the damned "you need to lose weight" doctor script I've heard for 30 years. My weight loss has slowed a lot since I started (lost 92 in year 1, lost 41 n year 2, lost 16 in year 3, lost 4 this year). I'm at the point that going at 1#/week loss is causing me to sneak food and overeat, so I'm at .5#/week and as accurate measuring as I can with little to show for it (average 1# loss per month). Since eating less than 1700 a day has me overeating, I'm not willing to go lower than what I am now for calories and I don't do well cutting out foods when I don't have to do so (that "junk" food stays, lel). Wondering if I should just eff it and go to maintenance since my losses are slower than a dried-out slug.

Here are the goals I started with:
- lose enough weight to be able to fit in public seating
- get BP to normal so I can eat cottage cheese again
- fit into clothing I can buy at "regular" size stores

Stats:
5'1", 158.2#, 44 y/o, female, BF 50.9% (via bone density scan in Feb 2015), MFP is set for TDEE with a 250 deficit

Exercise:
I walk a lot. I walk while watching Netflix and live streams instead of sitting on my butt. When the weather is nice, I go walk outside for 45-60 minutes (length of an album on my Walkman or until I have to pee again). Other exercising I'd enjoy doing require money I don't have (membership fees, bus fare). I find the weight lifting I can do at home very boring and can't stand lifting for longer than 5 minutes.

inb4 Eat less, you're making excuses, and food shaming

TL;DR - Goals met. Need new goals. Suggestions?

528314031.jpg

Replies

• heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    50 pushups? 100 burpees?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How about bumping up the fitness? I love walking too, but I've found that running just a little bit during my walks is also fun and exhilarating. It's "Wheee, look at me! I can run!"
    Maybe you incorporate some C25K in there a few days a week? I think that would be a good goal to go to next from walking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,061 Member
    Options
    You might try easing lower than 1700 cal for a little while ... you don't have far to go. Drop it to 1650 for a couple weeks and see how that goes. Next time you go shopping just see if there is something you can swap for a lower calorie item. Just 50 cal/day.

Since you like walking, what about joining a walking club? Start doing walks and hikes with them. Or maybe look into doing walking marathons or half-marathons.

Or maybe try some other sports ... cycling, kayaking ... whatever appeals.

BTW - you've done great so far!! :smiley:
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Why not maintain for awhile, give yourself a break, and then reevaluate after some time (a month, a year, whatever) has passed? It may be easier later on to start over fresh. Sounds like you've done great already!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    look into a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or starting strength and run that for about six months and keep eating at around 250 cal deficit….
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You know the drill-to continue to lose weight you'll have to adjust your calories down. Since you don't want to do that at this point, taking a maintenance break might be a good idea to give yourself a break. Adjust your calories up to maintenance levels and just breath a bit, and then in a few weeks/months you'll probably get the itch to start losing again :)
  • zyxst
    Options
    heyspearsy wrote: »
    50 pushups? 100 burpees?

ogxupmufffy9.gif

Burpees are hell. NOTY. :p

When the schools let out for the summer, I'm going to use the playground to add in bodyweight stuff and hopefully not get reported as a pedophile. It's difficult for me to find strength training I enjoy and is free. With the structured programs, I have no one who can correct my form.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a good goal would be to be able to have a 500 calorie deficit without overeating. You might try working into it slowly. Not being able to eat at a deficit could turn into not being able to maintain your weight later. There is a degree of willpower involved in weight management, so doing what is needed to strengthen your willpower would be a good thing.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're asking a question in the first place because your profile says you don't want to get in shape. With that attitude it's sort of a waste of time to give you suggestions.

FYI, there are lots of options if you really do want to get in shape. Most cities/towns these days have free or low-cost programs because this country has a lot of people like you around - sedentary and overweight.

MFP - do what you want with this post.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'd get more into the fitness. Bodyweight workouts that can be done at home. Youtube has tons of videos for that, ranging from 10-60 minutes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're asking a question in the first place because your profile says you don't want to get in shape. With that attitude it's sort of a waste of time to give you suggestions.

FYI, there are lots of options if you really do want to get in shape. Most cities/towns these days have free or low-cost programs because this country has a lot of people like you around - sedentary and overweight.

If there were a "like" button, I would click it.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Did I read that right, 50% body fat? Wouldn't focusing on reducing body fat bring you more health benefits than losing weight? Some kind of strength training may be?

ETA: saw you don't want to lift, may be calistenics?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    heyspearsy wrote: »
    50 pushups? 100 burpees?

ogxupmufffy9.gif

Burpees are hell. NOTY. :p

When the schools let out for the summer, I'm going to use the playground to add in bodyweight stuff and hopefully not get reported as a pedophile. It's difficult for me to find strength training I enjoy and is free. With the structured programs, I have no one who can correct my form.

thats what taking your own videos and you tube are for….
  • zyxst
    Options

274652.gif
    So because I don't want to be in shape, I shouldn't have goals? Lift or GTFO? Gotcha.

For me, being in shape would be looking like JoRocka and usmcmp and I admit that I'm too lazy to put in the amount of effort and diligence it would take to have even half their strength/bodies.

BF% at 50.9 is based off a bone density scan, so however accurate that it. I have the scans with the exact numbers if you want those. I can post current pics if you want to see what it looks like.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to set my goals around other things also, like for example "by next month I want to fit comfortably into my new dress, which is a bit on the tight side at the moment".

Maybe something like that could be a good motivator for you too? - not just comparing results by exercise levels and scale numbers alone :)
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...you don't want to eat less and you don't want to move more....soooo....

Your new goal should be to have an 8 ball on hand at all times. B) ....I kid, I kid.....

Honestly, you've done an amazing job so far. Your new goal should be playing with new foods. You may find cutting calories down further isn't as scary as it seems. Forget cutting calories any further until you're ready and you need good recipes to do that. Find yourself 5 good meals to fill you up for 4-500 calories. There, a perfect new goal--5 recipes that fill you and make you feel good.

Another option for a new goal would be to find a real life exercise buddy, someone you can get some quality time with. It may lift your mood and give you the push to get out and push yourself.
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You have did great so far and with what else you could do that maybe fits in with you
    Yoga or even some stretching whilst watching netflix
    Get a Swiss ball or some resistant bands for in the house
    Put on a decent backbag whilst out with some weights in it
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

274652.gif
    So because I don't want to be in shape, I shouldn't have goals? Lift or GTFO? Gotcha.

For me, being in shape would be looking like JoRocka and usmcmp and I admit that I'm too lazy to put in the amount of effort and diligence it would take to have even half their strength/bodies.

BF% at 50.9 is based off a bone density scan, so however accurate that it. I have the scans with the exact numbers if you want those. I can post current pics if you want to see what it looks like.

I guessed what you meant, I also have no desire to join a gym and spend hours a week exercising. I did NO exercise at all when I was in my active weight phase and I have no regrets :) When I started transitioning into maintenance I started walking and really enjoyed doing this (4-5 days week, 1-2 miles a time). When the weather changed I became interested in body-weight strength training, and I've done that on and off now since the fall of 2013. I go through phases though, and this past fall/winter I didn't do anything. Back at it now that the weather is nice again though :)

You've done a great job losing a significant amount of weight already, it sounds like you just need a break to give yourself time to re-evaluate what you want to do from this point on. Maybe that will include some sort of exercise, maybe not. I think adjusting your calories up to maintenance levels for the time being is a good starting point though and then just go from there!
  • zyxst
    Options
    So, since I don't want to push myself exercising with exercises I dislike and I don't want to turn into a binge eater from eating too few calories/cutting out certain foods, I should stop with trying to do anything else and go to maintenance.

Time to stay fat!
    giphy.gif
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So, since I don't want to push myself exercising with exercises I dislike and I don't want to turn into a binge eater from eating too few calories/cutting out certain foods, I should stop with trying to do anything else and go to maintenance.

Nobody is saying that.

You asked a specific question with very restrictive parameters and people are doing everything they can to help.

You don't have to like any of their suggestions, but to ask for opinions and then snark at the ones you get looks childish.