Excess skin

Options
have a question I have been wanting to ask. My husband says it's to much of a personal question and could upset people. But I'm like well I want to know. Okay so here it is, and if you don't want to comment on here, but do want to answer my question please message me. I started at 295 lbs I am terrified of excess skin, now I know I will have some, I just don't want tons, like you see on those weight loss shows. So my question is for everyone who has lost say 80 lbs and over, do you have excess skin, how much and if you have been able to eliminate most of it, how did you do this? I have been reading up on it, but I want to talk with people who are going through this. Thank you, have a blessed day.

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can message me if you want or add me.

I lost 172lbs, my skin situation isn't that bad in my opinion, also in a plastic surgeons opinion as well. My fiance could care less and I think I'm pretty *kitten* amazing and awesome so that's all that really matters.

People say it gets better with time, IMO you just get use to it. Bio-Oil and any expensive cream is a HUGE waste of money, that is coming from 2 doctors and a dermatologist.

As for your question, it really depends on you and your body, everyone is different. I know someone who's lost less weight then me and skin situation is 10X worse. No one can really answer this for you, I would say to make sure you do allot of weights to lose weight and use cardio to get through a plateau. I lost 97lbs without doing a lick of cardio, I only started to hit that 100lbs lost mark.

I don't have any on my back and maybe just a touch on my chest. My 2 main spots are my inner thighs and stomach, but only the wife can see it.

Umm yeah message me if you want to know more or discuss more I don't mind but I respond to messages better then the boards.

Also if you live in Toronto I can recommend a plastic surgeon to avoid and one to go to. I wrote a post about it like a year ago or longer but one was a hack who I can't name publicly because they are known for suing people who bash their name. The other was amazing, super nice and he was the one who told me I shouldn't get it done but hey if I want to here is the cost. Hack was $20,000 and refused to give a breakdown of the cost, just $20,000 on a piece of paper was my quote. Amazing doctor was $10,000 with a full breakdown of all costs associated with the surgery.

TLDR
    Brad
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I lost 100+ and have bit on my inner thighs and my stomach, but that is it. I rather have jiggly bits than have that 100+ lbs back. Change your point of view and it won't matter. BTW I lost the weight in my 40's, so I was not some 20 something with springy skin.

No one notices, we are our worst critic.

BTW, I believe strength training made the difference. No pink weights though.
  • billiej97
    billiej97 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds, going from 245lb to 145lb in 10 months and I did not exercise through the majority of my weight loss. I went to the gym for 3 months but gave it up. I have to say that not exercising and loosing weight too quickly is not a good idea when it comes to loose skin! I was left with loose skin on my belly, thighs and especially my arms. I can't say it will work for you, but for me, loosing weight slowly and exercising has given the best results with my skin.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Loose skin or no loose skin is dependent on many factors. Mainly age, genetics, how long you carried the extra weight, how fast you gained it , how ripped your skin is. You won't know until you get there.

I was always overweight, most of the weight being on my front torso. Gained alot during my teens and have large stretch marks. I went from 97kg to 57kg, so I lost 40% of my highest weight and am short. That all did not work in my favor. I had my breasts lifted (skin removal / no implants) in October and am up for my body lift (belly flap and abs) on Tuesday. My skin was too shot, but that doesn't have to be your story. I'm very happy with the outcome of the first surgery and am looking forward to living without the extra bounce on my front side too.

Time and weight training can work in your favor. I'm hoping on that for my inner upper arms and thighs ;-) It can take 2yrs though.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've not lost a great deal (yet!) but I will mention that lots of the folks on TV are 600lbs+ you're not quite 300lbs. They basically have to lose more than one of you to be a healthy weight.
    They also tend to get surgery, which causes the weightloss to happen quickly.

I'll likely have loose skin (I've a huge gut) but so far it's shrinking back!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have excess skin and started out at 170 (now 143). I don't care.