What are the different type of "Presses"?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
Can someone tell me the different types of "Presses" i.e. all I know are overhead press, clean & press, push press and bench press....I'm just curious as to how many others there is.

And whats your favourite? My favourite out of the few I've tried above is the clean & press and the push press...

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Like with squats and rows, there are countless variations of presses. I like the standing, single-arm cable chest press.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    are you talking about actual presses or "pushing" exercises?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the different types of "Presses" i.e. all I know are overhead press, clean & press, push press and bench press....I'm just curious as to how many others there is.

And whats your favourite? My favourite out of the few I've tried above is the clean & press and the push press...

This list could be endless.

Clean and Press I would actually categorize as an Olympic Lift more so than a true press. Or you could look at it like this too...

*this is by no means all encompassing as their are so many variations of pressing. Just some of the top movements that come to mind

Pressing Power (these are rather dynamic, a lot involved, hard to call them just a press)
    - Power Clean and Press
    - Power Clean and Press from the Hang
    - Push Press

Shoulder Dominant Barbell
    - Press (seated / standing)
    - Bradford Press
    - Behind the Neck Press
    - Ahrens Press (I think I spelled that right)
    - Klokov press (spelling?)

Shoulder Dominant Dumbbell
    - Press (seated / standing)
    - Neutral Grip Press (seated / standing)
    - Cuban Press
    - Arnold Press (not entirely shoulder dominant but it fits nicely here I think)
    - Single Leg Standing Press (more for strength & core stability)

Shoulder Cable Pressing: Really just different variations of some of the above

Chest Dominant Barbell (well, more pectoral activation at least, a lot depends on grip width and type)
    - Flat Bench (triceps / close-grip bench would fall into this category)
    - Incline Bench
    - Decline Bench
    - Block / Pin Bench
    - Reverse grip

Chest Dominant DB
    - Flat / Incline / Decline
    - Neutral grip (can use any of the above too)
    - Squeeze bench press

Chest Dominant for Core Stability
    - Using a DB with a Stability Ball or standing with a Cable and some of the other above variations.

Again, not all encompassing but a decent list for you.

My favorite is just the standing BB Press. Nothing better than pushing as much weight above your head.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    leg press?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    leg press?

Is that an exercise or an incomplete recliner that gyms have? LOL, j/k! I forgot about that, was just thinking upper body.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Everything is a press or a pull. It just means pushing away from your body for the positive part of the movement.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow...theres a lot then haha!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's probably at least 50, and I'm far too lazy to name them all.

I enjoy the strict military press the most I think.
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As the variations have been covered pretty well here, my favorite is also the standing overhead barbell press. A press that mankind has been doing ever since one human said "I'm stronger than you" to the other. My second favorite would be the decline dumbbell press - a totally underrated pec destroyer, made a huge difference in size and definition to my chest.