The chocolate diet hoax

Options
Interesting article about how easy it is to spread junk science out to all of us. And a reminder of the importance of doing your own research.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-the-chocolate-diet-hoax-fooled-millions/

Replies

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Search function didn't function very well this time. My bad.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Hmm. Search function didn't function very well this time. My bad.

At least you tried.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The more threads about this the better... Considering the amount of gullibility I have seen on MFP and in the population at large, you can never draw enough attention to this. Ever.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Interesting article about how easy it is to spread junk science out to all of us. And a reminder of the importance of doing your own research.

This 'prank' exposes bad journalism. Journalists ran with the story without vetting the particulars.

One thing that really bothers me on these boards is the general skepticism toward science. People don't trust studies. There are a lot of really smart people doing good science about health issues, including weight loss. It's important to look at where those articles are published (these new open-source journals allow you to publish your "studies" with a fee; established journals do not require authors to pay in order to have your work published.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »

This 'prank' exposes bad journalism. Journalists ran with the story without vetting the particulars.

One thing that really bothers me on these boards is the general skepticism toward science. People don't trust studies. There are a lot of really smart people doing good science about health issues, including weight loss. It's important to look at where those articles are published (these new open-source journals allow you to publish your "studies" with a fee; established journals do not require authors to pay in order to have your work published.)

The second part that this prank exposed is not just the bad journalism, but how easy it is to get "scientific" studies published. It is good that people are skeptical of everything that is published. We need to be. It is harder to get something published in a respected peer-reviewed journal, but it is still very possible. How often do studies get retracted? More so than you would think. As the article says, be skeptical of everything and do your own research into how the study was conducted, where it was published, how and by whom it was reviewed. etc.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    But I lost almost 30kg eating dark chocolate.....

I wonder, if it was because I stayed at a cal deficit? B)
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Staying in a calorie deficit was the biggest part
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Staying in a calorie deficit was the biggest part

Tell that to the low-carbers...
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options