Weight lifting and the scale

Options
2»

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I've been lifting for almost 2 years. I'd lost a few pounds...maybe 5+. I went from a size 8/10 to a size 2 though. In the last couple of weeks, I'm actually up a couple of pounds. I have had SEVERAL regulars at the gym tell me that I look very lean! So I've gained "scale weight," but look smaller...go figure.

This!

When I started at the gym I was 228lbs, size 18 pants, XXL shirt. I'm now about 190, size 10 pants, size M or large shirt.

10 years ago, before my last pregnancy, I was 175 lbs and a size 16. So...lifting heavy, I'm 15+ pounds heavier, but several sizes smaller.

Exactly This. :)
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    I started lifting heavy at the beginning of April and I've really stuck with it. I've worked hard at eating well, too, which I do most of the time (although I'm not perfect). Also--I started trying to make changes in my diet last August, but didn't really start the heavy weight lifting until April, although I had been lifting sporadically since August.

AT the same time, I feel like with as much work as I'm putting in at the gym, combined with as much cutbacks I'm doing food-wise (example: I've cut out a ton of alcohol and desserts. Can't remember the last time I ate pasta, I cook fish 1-2 times per week, I've been eating salad with chicken for lunch almost every day, etc.) I should be seeing greater results than the 4-5 pound loss I've seen over 2 months now.

What has others' experiences been like with the scale and weight lifting? Is there something to that "stuck scale" phase in the first month or so of weight lifting that people talk about?

I know I am improving at the gym. For instance, I'm up to 25 lb weights on each side of my bench press bar (I think I started at 17.5 pounds on each side), so the proof of my work is there. But sometimes I would like to see improvement elsewhere (i.e. the scale!)

I started end of march, and have probably put on 5 or 6lbs. Ive been eating at above maintenance though to try and build muscle. My lifts improve pretty well every week and the only thing that seems to have grown is my thighs!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I've been lifting for almost 2 years. I'd lost a few pounds...maybe 5+. I went from a size 8/10 to a size 2 though. In the last couple of weeks, I'm actually up a couple of pounds. I have had SEVERAL regulars at the gym tell me that I look very lean! So I've gained "scale weight," but look smaller...go figure.

This!

When I started at the gym I was 228lbs, size 18 pants, XXL shirt. I'm now about 190, size 10 pants, size M or large shirt.

10 years ago, before my last pregnancy, I was 175 lbs and a size 16. So...lifting heavy, I'm 15+ pounds heavier, but several sizes smaller.

This exactly. I was 231 2 years ago, did cardio for the first 3 months of my journey, then switched to lifting because of knee problems. I was a tight 16 jeans and XXl shirt, now I'm 183, size 10 jeans and a large shirt. Went from 46DD to 38DD bra. My husband tells me I'm half the person I used to be but I don't see it. My brain still hasn't caught up to my body yet.