New Closet Once I'm at Goal #1?

Options
sapphire1166
sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Sort of rambling here. Right now, my goal is to get to 175 lbs (I'm 5' 7". Started at 235 and CW is 216...haven't been 175 lbs since I was 17). I'd love to go even lower, but I mentally can't get past the thought that I haven't been 150 lbs or less since 6th grade so I truly can't imagine it ever happening. Know it's a mental block I need to get over, but either way, current goal is 175 lbs.

Want to celebrate this goal when I hit it by spending some money on a new wardrobe. Will probably need to spend $500-$1,000 to get some classic pieces I'm proud to wear (will be wearing GoodWill clothes as I lose).

Question is, should I go ahead and splurge when I'm at goal #1? Or should I wait to splurge until I'm at a "healthy" weight for my body? Part of me thinks that spending money on a new wardrobe will inspire my confidence and I'll want to look even better and lose more weight. The other part thinks that I'll spend that money and think "what's the point of losing more? You'll never get thinner than this and you just spend $1k on these clothes".

Anyone been there and care to share your view if new clothes inspire or discourage?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I would wait. You won't know what size you're going to fit into and clothing brands all have a different idea of what a size 6, 8, or 10 is. For me, I dress for the body I have now, buying clothes in a smaller size doesn't inspire me. I look at it as wasting my money since I can't wear the clothes right now.

If you just can't wait, just buy 1 or 2 pieces for inspiration.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Can you swing a little splurge at Goal #1 and treat yourself to some lower price point clothes that are cute? For example Target has some cute stuff where you could update your Goodwill wardrobe with a few trendier pieces. No, you won't be able to wear it for years and years, but it will last for as long as it fits.

Also, make sure you're shopping at the right Goodwill! I have tons of Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ann Taylor pieces that I got for nothing at my favorite GW. I own one sweater that people stop me on the street to compliment me on, and I paid $2.99 for it.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 202 to 148. I bought new clothes when I needed them (i.e., when I dropped down a size), not when I hit a specific weight goal. I can't see myself ever spending $500-$1000 on clothes all at one pop when I planned to not fit in them fairly soon. I definitely have enjoyed getting new clothes along the way and always encourage people to get clothes when they need them, fit-wise, because looking good helps keep you motivated, but I just have gone about it in a different way.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how dropping $1000 on clothes would encourage me to lose weight so that they'd no longer fit.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have the money, do it. You will feel good about yourself and will probably be more likely to keep up the good work!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think looking good in your clothes is a great way to remind you of your progress and motivate you to keep going.

I would try to go for something less expensive as other posters have mentioned, but if you want to buy something more upscale, I'd recommend something like a skirt or shift dress (with princess seams if possible), so it can be easily altered when you reach your ultimate goal. Good quality lined pants are a little trickier (and more expensive) to take in, and taking in something like a lined jacket can cost more than a new one.

Depending where you live, there may be a designer consignment store in your city. I have bought some nice pieces for good prices in the Yorkville neighbourhood of Toronto, and am planning a consignment shopping trip in Beverly Hills in a couple of weeks. Outlet stores are another good source of inexpensive designer items.
  • bigjack69
    bigjack69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally i think new clothes inspire :)
    Best of luck !
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would wait, especially if you're unsure of what your goal weight will be with your weight loss. I like to buy a few pieces here and there as I continue to lose but I wouldn't dare drop a grand on a wardrobe while I'm a work in a progress.
    If it helps to keep you motivated though, do what makes you happy. :smiley: Good luck, girl!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would pick up a few new things, but not a whole closet full, if you are determined to keep up with your routine and continue to (try to) lose.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've gone from 202 to 148. I bought new clothes when I needed them (i.e., when I dropped down a size), not when I hit a specific weight goal. I can't see myself ever spending $500-$1000 on clothes all at one pop when I planned to not fit in them fairly soon. I definitely have enjoyed getting new clothes along the way and always encourage people to get clothes when they need them, fit-wise, because looking good helps keep you motivated, but I just have gone about it in a different way.

This. I've gone down so many sizes and I couldn't spend that much each time. Since I knew I would be at each size temporarily I'd buy things either on clearance, TJ Maxx or Ross and Old Navy. The only thing I'd shell out money for were my slacks for work which were less than $100 combined. I think once I've settled on a size I might spend more but I'm still a long way from that.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm so busy shopping in my closet of past fat clothes that I won't spend even a nickel!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You and I have similar starting weights. My first goal weight was 175 as well and I made that goal this time last year. I bought a couple size med dresses and a couple pairs of size 10 shorts. Now, I'm at 152 and the shorts don't fit but the dresses still do. I would say buy a couple cute dresses, you can wear them longer.

Also, once you reach 175, which you will, think about it then. You may be happy with that weight or you may feel you could lose more. I agree when your 235 a goal of 150 seems impossible. But remember its not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't splurge on a complete wardrobe at Goal 1 but you will need to have clothes that fit you after you lose a certain amount of weight. Some things can be taken in.

I use freecycle for getting rid of old clothes. I've tried to use it for getting new clothes, but gave this up as I can't stand fabric softener, which takes several washes before I can no longer detect the scent.
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I personally think that I would by 2-3 cute outfits once I hit the goal. Then wait a couple months to see if I'm happy at that goal before buying more. Then if you are happy you can get more outfits. If you aren't happy you can continue to lose more and you'll have some cute outfits while getting to a new goal weight at which you'll have some money left to get more cute outfits.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' 7". I was 206 lbs when I started losing weight this time. I'm cheap, so I own like one pair of long pants, which I had to replace the other day because it got worn out from constant use. I was able to go down a dress size when I bought the new pants. Very encouraging when I saw that. Last time I bought pants, I had to go up. Not fun.

I would not buy clothes at a weight that I wouldn't be happy at. I think it would just be a waste of money. My current goal weight is 158 lbs. I'm already thinking that I might try to go lower. It took me over a year to get to where I'm at now, and it might take me another year to get to my goal weight. I do like the new clothes though that I bought. It is fun to get new clothes. So get as many as you don't mind spending your money on. I wouldn't replace my whole wardrobe though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When you get to goal #1, I would get some new stuff but I would not spend that much getting a whole new wardrobe if you think it would keep you from trying to get to a healthier weight. I would look on e-bay or thift store for clothes you like but don't cost as much.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I went from 2XL to L

In the shrink down I kept 4-5 current size shirts and pants.

Pants are the worst

Going from 44 to 32 was brutal.

Now I am slowly buying a new wardrobe of clothes. It is insanely expensive.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    We have very similar stats and the same goals and many of the same thoughts about goal and further goals.
    I wear a lot if goodwill though we call it op shops here. There are some great gw shops in trendier mire affluent areas that sell better quality and labelled clothing for really cheap.
    I think money should be spent on statement pieces like a coat, a good pair of jeans that fit you properly, a little black dress and SHOES :) but that's me. I can't imagine ever spending $1000 on clothes in one go but if I found a beautiful coat at goal I would happily spend $300 on it up it was stunning and fit me properly and made me feel like a million dollars. I would spend money on that and a really good haircut.

All the best.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to my goal weight and I'm currently focusing on toning up and losing those last little stubborn bits of extra fat ^^ I'm not sure how much my body will change from here, but with the seasons changing I'm at a point where everything in my closet is way, waaaay too big. Those nice shorts I bought last summer? I can take them off without even unbuttoning them...
    I'm not doing anything super fancy or really expensive, but even with Goodwill and H&M and other "cheap" brands I've still spent quite a bit of money. It's a bit tedious, too. I'll try on a skirt and think that "Oooh I have a cute top that will go nicely with this!" only to remember that that cute top is 2-3 sizes too big for me now and that's not very cute. Personally, I feel like I want to wear clothes that I feel good in. Clothes that show off my hard work. Clothes that make me do a double take when walking by the mirror. New clothes can get me through a day when all I really want to do is get home and into bed and eat a bunch of chocolate or something.

Depending on the clothes, if you've got some skills with the sewing machine (or a friend who does!) it's quite easy to take in an old favorite dress to fit the new size you, so they don't have to go to waste! :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a great deal of weight was for my son's wedding. I bought a dress that I didn't fit into knowing that I would by the time of his wedding. And it did. And once the wedding was over, I gained back all the weight plus 20 more pounds.

Now, I am losing weight for ME, and not for an event. I bought a dress several years ago, before I was used to being so big, that wouldn't go past my knees when stepping into it. Now it zips all the way up, but still is way too small. That one dress inspires me.

I guess what I'm suggesting is don't buy a whole wardrobe at a smaller size, but one outfit that you love. And do it for YOU, not for an event.