Rest Day

how important is having rest days and should you eat lighter on a rest day?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    A rest day is very important. As far as food, I can't comment because although I look at daily calories, I focus on being good for the week.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    I'm finally forcing myself to take 1 full rest day a week, and 1 active rest day (just some steady state cardio). The other 5 days I'm at the gym for an hour a day..

If you use TDEE to calculate your calories, the calculation would take into account rest days and your calorie count would already be adjusted (across the whole week). If you use MFP, and don't build in daily exercise into your calorie goals, then it's somewhat easy as you just eat your exercise calories back on the days you workout, and on the days you don't you wouldn't have anything to eat back.

Personally, I've had much more luck going with TDEE calculation and keeping a consistent daily goal throughout the week.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Rest days are every bit as important as exercise days. Exercise causes tears in muscles, rest days heal and strengthen the muscles.

Eating? You eat more on exercise days because you burn more.
  • the8bitninja
    the8bitninja Posts: 3 Member
    I do an hour of cardio before I eat in the am and then an hour of lifting each night usually
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    A rest day is pivitol to our development. people do not realize this and push, push, push...then say where are the results...the results will show themselves after "resting" we blossom when we rest
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    How does the rest day work. is this rest day done ONLY with weight or strength training? For cardio- walking, running, jogging, etc- we can do cardio all 5 days right? please explain- thanks
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    For strength training, rest days are needed. For cardio, do it as much as you want in my opinion.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    debtay123 wrote: »
    How does the rest day work. is this rest day done ONLY with weight or strength training? For cardio- walking, running, jogging, etc- we can do cardio all 5 days right? please explain- thanks

Personally I rest from everything but I eat really really well. Our joints and muscles and fascia and everything about our body needs rest to repair, recover and blossom. otherwise your just beating the heck out of your body.

• bber2014
    bber2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Yep one or two rest days will allow muscle to recover and grow