So, what if I hate exercise..

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If "boring" is the problem--let me tell you. I love boring, repetitive movements. It gives me time to think and plan, since the rest of my day is busy from 6:00 in the morning to 12:00 at night. I don't have much free time, so this time " for me" is precious. Sometimes you just have to look at things in a different way to appreciate them. Best. B)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If "boring" is the problem--let me tell you. I love boring, repetitive movements. It gives me time to think and plan, since the rest of my day is busy from 6:00 in the morning to 12:00 at night. I don't have much free time, so this time " for me" is precious. Sometimes you just have to look at things in a different way to appreciate them. Best. B)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? To lose weight, you just need to eat less. Exercise is for fitness and general health (still a good thing!).

Have you ever taken a class? I liked zumba, but if you take the same teacher all the time, some are not very creative. What about social ballroom/social dance? I do lindy hop (a type of swing dance) and let me say that no two dances are alike. I see that you live in the south, so you might be able to find some two step, jazz, blues, and the regular ballroom stuff (foxtrox, waltz, cha cha, etc). There are also solo dance classes, if partnered dancing isn't your thing. I'm taking an adult jazz class right now. Next I'm thinking intro to ballet, into to contemporary, and maybe some of their hip hop offerings.

As for the standard boring stuff: running and lifting... there are apps out there that are meant to turn it into a game, like ZombieRUN and Fitocracy. I like to beat my own numbers using RunKeeper.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Listening to audiobooks or podcasts can help.

This too:
    JoRocka wrote: »
    exercise isn't to entertain you.

I disagree when people say "find something to do that you like!" Then you end up with "exercise" and being "fit". When it's time for fitness, I do the most useful things I can think of. When it's time to enjoy myself, I'm all-in for that too. I don't think it's a good idea to half-*kitten* things.

I get my non-work related exercise practicing a martial art and riding horses. Both of which I do at a high level and am very serious about. There is no half-assery going on. It is quite possible to do physical activity that is both enjoyable and serious.

Personally I have never seen the point to walking or running in place for miles or doing other exercise that has no point outside of burning energy. I prefer a physically active and challenging practice that not only works my body but also requires the use of my brain and that will lead to learning and developing new and useful skill sets.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Workout DVD's and classes will make the time go super fast. If you get the right one for your style you'll get hooked.
    Personal favorite DVD's
    Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, Hard Body, Yoga Meltdown, Kickboxing, a few others but they all start to blend together.
    Turbo Fire with Chalene Johnson is amazing once you have endurance
    Zumba classes and local bootcamps are a ton of fun too because everyone is encouraging but all different levels of fitness.
    This is what worked for me. I always found running boring and the gym intimidating. But I started doing DVDs at home after entering a Biggest Loser at work solely to prevent a boastful coworker from winning. I started with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, where you change moves every 30 seconds. Moved on to Insanity, where you're too occupied imagining slapping Shaun T and feeling proud of yourself to get bored.

I actually started running on trails after that and found that I LOVED it.

Keep looking, the right thing for you may be unconventional. If I super can't motivate myself I just put on loud music and have a living room dance party.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    What's really boring is being grossly overweight, unfit, with health problems up the wazoo, bed-ridden or stuck on the couch forever and a day, in your 50's, 60's, 70's and so on if one should last that long.

Insurance (exercise) might be boring to you but the alternative is worse.

No doubt you'll find things you like. Mixing things up helps too!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I like full body workouts. My past as a gymnast and dancer mean I quite like being shouted at and pushed to my limits whilst being offered constant variety. I have discovered I really like Insanity, which means circuit classes kicking my butt until I feel like I want to cry. But I still enjoy it. If I don't enjoy it I simply won't do it for any sustained period. There are so many options being miserable for an hour isn't necessary.

When I was a kid I was a really good middle distance runner but I really really hate running and always have, I even used to hate the warm up jogs round the sports centre pre-gymnastics we were made to do.

I also can't bear going to the gym, using machines to stay in one spot while staring at a wall. I need much more stimulation than that. It's why I can't ever see me getting into lifting either, never say never but just not for me.

So I lie firmly in the "find something you love" camp, or at least something you quite like, just because you like it doesn't mean it's not challenging as a previous poster pointed out.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

stop thinking you need to be entertained in order to do something and the problem solves itself.

Very much this.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are saying that you think exercise should be entertaing...u are saying you hate to exercise. so do it...but i love how i feel after I do it and i never regret it and its a needed thing to be healthy. some people LOVE to exercise...i don't but i do it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Try timing yourself. Then try to beat your time. The challenge keeps it interesting. What sports do you like? You could get a partner to play basketball or tennis with or round up a group of friends for a weekend of volleyball or baseball. There are lots of cycling groups too. Find something you like and compete.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been doing well by eating healthier but I have found that I HATE exercise. However, I don't hate it like most people do. I don't mind the being hot and sweaty or the moving around... I hate how boring it it.Walking, running, bicycling.... I make a good playlist to listen to but I really just find myself being bored during the repetitive movements... does anyone else have the same problem?

I'm the same way. I just hate it in any form and I have tried many. People always say change it up until you find something you love. Well, that doesn't work for everyone. Some of us will always hate exercise of any kind. The best advice I can give you is just do it. What other choice do you have? Exercise isn't necessary to lose weight, but it does help with overall health, so I guess that's a good reason to make yourself do it. We all have to do things we don't like to in life. Things that we find monotonous and boring. I guess you just need to decide if the benefits of exercise outweigh the monotony of it and if it's worth it for you personally.

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Join a class Zumba yoga salsa martial arts all pretty much guarantee a good sweat
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Also once you find that something you'll want to get stronger and faster to be better at it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

stop thinking you need to be entertained in order to do something and the problem solves itself.

so much THIS