Eating in the evening

Options
niamh211
niamh211 Posts: 150 Member
hi I was just wondering is it ok that I eat most of my food in the evenings as this is when I get most hungry?

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's the total that matters for weight loss. Otherwise, eat according to your schedule and preferences.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes

I tend to eat about 5-800 calories of mine at night. it works better for me that way. I hate being hungry at night- it makes me cranky.
  • niamh211
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yes

I tend to eat about 5-800 calories of mine at night. it works better for me that way. I hate being hungry at night- it makes me cranky.

Aw me too I eat around 1000 though but in trying to gain weight so I think this is ok
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner pretty much every night around 9:00. Most of my daily calorie intake comes between about 4:00 PM through dinner.
  • Elaicea73
    Elaicea73 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I can second that :) I often eat a thousand calories for dinner(while staying in my calorie range) and I've lost 89lbs in the last 11 months... I used to think the same thing. That we're supposed to eat carrot sticks and 2oz chicken breast for dinner... at 5:30pm and not eat again for the night... Absolutely untrue... Lots of times I don't eat dinner until 9 or 10pm. and it's always my biggest meal of the day. It really is all about the amount of calories you eat. Nothing else. Maybe other people will have differing opinions, but in my experience, I've been successful with it. My diary is open if you want to check out some of my days. I eat more than my allotment fairly often. But I always jump right back into it the next meal or the next day, etc... I know I'll never throw in the towel again. Now I know how easy it is to do. Nothing is set in stone. All these tips and bullet points that you see everywhere... things that you MUST do STRICTLY or there's no way you will lose weight. I believed all the crap for 40 years. And my thoughts on it were, I KNOW I can't live that strictly so I'm not even going to try. And all that time it was so easy... grrrrr... so yeah, eat when you want to, no matter the time.. as long as you stay within your deficit, you'll lose. Good luck! :smiley:

Edit: Another thing... Lots of times I don't eat breakfast until noon. Lunch at 4ish. Which pretty much amounts to skipping breakfast, really... But that's another myth. I'm sure it's better for you. And my mom still complains about me not eating in the morning. But if I eat breakfast at 8am, I end up still eating at noon and still eating at around 4pm so all it really does is forces me to eat when I'm not hungry and adds calories to my day that I would appreciate so much more at a later time... You can't do it wrong as long as you follow calories in/calories out... Fix your eating habits to your lifestyle, because honestly, which is better: succeeding while eating according to your lifestyle or floundering and failing while trying to adhere to someone else's??
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    niamh211 wrote: »
    hi I was just wondering is it ok that I eat most of my food in the evenings as this is when I get most hungry?

It's been okay for me. I do just that and have been steadily losing.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat. The only downside I've found to eating most my calories in the evening, esp late in the evening, is my morning weigh-in is effected somewhat. But it all comes out the wash eventually.
  • niamh211
    Options
    Elaicea73 wrote: »
    I can second that :) I often eat a thousand calories for dinner(while staying in my calorie range) and I've lost 89lbs in the last 11 months... I used to think the same thing. That we're supposed to eat carrot sticks and 2oz chicken breast for dinner... at 5:30pm and not eat again for the night... Absolutely untrue... Lots of times I don't eat dinner until 9 or 10pm. and it's always my biggest meal of the day. It really is all about the amount of calories you eat. Nothing else. Maybe other people will have differing opinions, but in my experience, I've been successful with it. My diary is open if you want to check out some of my days. I eat more than my allotment fairly often. But I always jump right back into it the next meal or the next day, etc... I know I'll never throw in the towel again. Now I know how easy it is to do. Nothing is set in stone. All these tips and bullet points that you see everywhere... things that you MUST do STRICTLY or there's no way you will lose weight. I believed all the crap for 40 years. And my thoughts on it were, I KNOW I can't live that strictly so I'm not even going to try. And all that time it was so easy... grrrrr... so yeah, eat when you want to, no matter the time.. as long as you stay within your deficit, you'll lose. Good luck! :smiley:

Edit: Another thing... Lots of times I don't eat breakfast until noon. Lunch at 4ish. Which pretty much amounts to skipping breakfast, really... But that's another myth. I'm sure it's better for you. And my mom still complains about me not eating in the morning. But if I eat breakfast at 8am, I end up still eating at noon and still eating at around 4pm so all it really does is forces me to eat when I'm not hungry and adds calories to my day that I would appreciate so much more at a later time... You can't do it wrong as long as you follow calories in/calories out... Fix your eating habits to your lifestyle, because honestly, which is better: succeeding while eating according to your lifestyle or floundering and failing while trying to adhere to someone else's??

Aw your advice is great tank you so much I kinda did believe dat myth that you should eat after 6 but ur so right that it doesn't matter at all as long as your without your requirements for your goal whether it be gain (that's what I'm trying to do) or lose! You have made me feel less guilty about eating late now tanx a million x
  • niamh211
    Options
    Tanx guys for all of your advice it's great to get other people's opinion on this! I wonder why there is a myth that says not to eat late in the evening ??
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think the myth exists because some people tend to go overboard at night...after they've already eaten an entire day's worth of food (like mindlessly snacking in front of the tv). But if you're budgetting your calories and have enough left to eat them at night, I don't see why it would matter.
  • niamh211
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I think the myth exists because some people tend to go overboard at night...after they've already eaten an entire day's worth of food (like mindlessly snacking in front of the tv). But if you're budgetting your calories and have enough left to eat them at night, I don't see why it would matter.

Ya I save a lot of my calories for the evening so I eat lower calories during the day so I can have higher calories during the night when I'm hungry! Is that ok?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

pretty much.

add in the whole "your metabolism slows down when you sleep"- and people get wack about eating at night.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Ya I save a lot of my calories for the evening so I eat lower calories during the day so I can have higher calories during the night when I'm hungry! Is that ok?

This is exactly what I do. I eat ~50% of my calories after 10 PM.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Yes, as long as you have the willpower to stick to your plan. Personally, I would be so hungry by dinner time I'd gorge and lose all self control. But you have to know yourself.
  • niamh211
    Options

Jruzer wrote: »

This is exactly what I do. I eat ~50% of my calories after 10 PM.

Oh tank God I'm not the only one that does this ha I taught I would gain loads of weight doing it
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Oh tank God I'm not the only one that does this ha I taught I would gain loads of weight doing it

Nope, but keep in mind that the scale may read a bit higher in the morning than it might otherwise because you haven't had a chance to eliminate as much waste.
  • niamh211
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Nope, but keep in mind that the scale may read a bit higher in the morning than it might otherwise because you haven't had a chance to eliminate as much waste.

Oh ya I get that and water weight aswell but I'm not weighing myself at the moment as I'm recovering from a restrictive eating disorder
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat late at night. It won't hinder weight loss. That's how I've been eating for the last 10 months or so, and I've lost 90 pounds. I always eat most of my calories in the evening since I've always been a night time eater. I usually have my largest meal within an hour or so of going to bed...sometimes it's up to 1000 calories or so, and it has not hindered my weight loss.