2 slices of toast for breakfast and sandwich for lunch?

I've had a month of serious overeating sugar, sweet things and I've realised that I'm very much addicted. So I'm trying to go for a while with no sweet tasting things at all (apart from some fruit) and that means no porridge for breakfast as I do like to have a fair bit of honey in it. However, due to it's easiness I always take sandwiches with ham and salad for lunch to work, so is having this with 2 slices of wholewheat (I always eat wholewheat) toast with peanut butter for breakfast adding up to too much bread/too many carbs in 2 meals? My dinner usually consists of some sort of carbs, too (pasta/sweet potato/risotto etc). Always have a banana at breakfast too.

I have to start work very early so I need quick breakfasts, and can't find anything else that's quick, savoury and I like the taste of, other than toast. I will likely go back to having oats (usually do overnight oats and have them cold, soo quick and easy and tasty - but sweet!)

Any ideas? Is 4 slices of bread a day too much?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I don't know, is it? Is it over your calorie allowance? Are you meeting your calorie/macro goals?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    For me, yes, it would be too much. I would not be able to meet my protein goal and stay within my calorie goal.
    I am not picky about what I eat so breakfast is usually a slice of ezekial bread, along with hard boiled eggs, microwave veggie or chicken sausage. I don't limit breakfast to just breakfast food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It would be too much for me too. Bread doesn't fill me up, so that's pretty much 300-400 non filling calories, which I'd frankly rather spend on ice cream.
  • LOVEisanopendoor123
    LOVEisanopendoor123 Posts: 3 Member
    I believe that eating that four slices of bread would be to much. You should only eat 2 slices, and try not to have any bread related foods for your other meals. I try to have only one or no bread meal each day. If I do have any bread related foods then I limit my intake of it. I have also been trying to eliminate my dairy intake because its only a waste of calories that could be used on something more healthier. I hope this helped, if not sorry :/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I believe that eating that four slices of bread would be to much. You should only eat 2 slices, and try not to have any bread related foods for your other meals. I try to have only one or no bread meal each day. If I do have any bread related foods then I limit my intake of it. I have also been trying to eliminate my dairy intake because its only a waste of calories that could be used on something more healthier. I hope this helped, if not sorry :/

What is any of your food avoidance based on?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I wouldn't be able to hit my protein goal with that much bread I don't think-- unless I cut out other carbs like veggies (and ice cream, which is very important). But it depends on your goals. How many calories are you allotted? How much protein and fat are you getting? Is your nutrition adequate?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    4 slices of bread and then the dinner you described would be too much for me and many people. Try one slice of bread for each of the first two meals and instead have some kind of precooked and prepared vegetable---i also do not limit my breakfast to traditional breakfast foods, yes pack grilled and tasty chicken, hard boiled eggs, veggie burgers. Figure this out also by counting the calories and be sure you are not depending on the exercise to compensate for poor meal choices.Good Luck--you can do this!!!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    That would go over my carb allotment for the day. However, if you are just starting and meeting your calorie goal, don't fret the macros too much. You can research and learn as you go how to manage your macros.

For breakfast options, maybe scrambled or fried eggs and fruit. Or have one piece of toast in the morning and a veggie wrap using a small or medium flour tortilla or just half a sandwich and more fresh veggies and fruit. I like string cheese for portable food that's low carb.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Changing your food habits can take a lot of time and effort. I used to eat a healthy sandwich every day for lunch. Now I eat a salad with the protein I used to have in the sandwich, but I am substituting vegetables for bread. This takes a lot more time and pre-planning than making a sandwich, but it works well for me, so I have to remember to make time for food prep either in the morning or the night before. Also, I usually don't have grain-based carbs at dinner any more. I substitute vegetables. Do you have a spiralizer? You can substitute yellow or zucchini squash for pasta. Saute with garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil. Yum. Have you thought about substituting artificial sweetener for all the honey you have in your porridge? The bottom line is you need to eat differently from the way you are used to if the way you are used to has made you gain weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    what is this fear of bread?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    As others have said, it would be too much for me too, not because there's anything wrong with carbs but because it would be hard to meet my protein goal and get the other foods I think are important to include in my diet if I used the calories on bread. I'm also someone who finds even whole-grain bread not that filling or satisfying.

It really depends on what works for you, though--if you are satisfied and meeting your macros and nutrition goals, that's great. For me, I really like getting in some protein at breakfast and trying to make lunch more balanced--it's easy to let a sandwich be really carb-heavy, depending on what else is in it.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    I eat high protein bread. Dempsters makes a "Boost my Protein" bread that has 11g of protein in two slices. I normally just stick to two a day because I often have a sandwich or toast and have oats for breakfast and don't generally have bread for dinner so 2 slices is plenty.